Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Just picked up a 14-42 pancake zoom in black off Amazon for £142. Can now go for a walk with my camera in my pocket.

Just started to use my new EM1 ii and the 40-150 pro. Very pleased with the responsiveness of the camera and sharpness of the lens.

I don't have a garden a such - just a paved yard area and I enjoy watching the birds, particularly in the current climate.
We have a limited number of visitors - we get are starlings, blackbirds, robin, jackdaws, magpies, sparrows, goldfinches, blue tits. We have had the odd sighting, once or twice a year of long tailed tits and last year had the pleasure of seeing a female sparrowhawk perching on my neighbour's roof.

I read somewhere (and I think that it may have been on this thread) that David Tipling recommends peanut butter as a food, so I tried smearing some in a used coconut shell. Once they had found it the starlings went beserk trying to get to it. I tried to get them perching, waiting on the fence or gate but the sun was in the wrong direction and they are such a glossy bird. But I did mange this, which sums up the half hour that I had watching them.

Fighting over peanut butter by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Here is a quick snap I took with my E-M5ii and 14-42mm EZ pancake kit lens handheld
Did you know this lens has a minimum focus distance of 0.2m?
This a bit of a crop but it posted it Flickr at its full size so you can see how it looks ( I usually resize for Flickr)

Orange tip by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Here is a quick snap I took with my E-M5ii and 14-42mm EZ pancake kit lens handheld
Did you know this lens has a minimum focus distance of 0.2m?
This a bit of a crop but it posted it Flickr at its full size so you can see how it looks ( I usually resize for Flickr)

Orange tip by Alf Branch, on Flickr
Came out great Alf, Kit lenses are pretty sharp and very underrated IMHO ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always use your Canon macro lens with an adaptor. I haven't noticed any difficulty using the 60mm macro for manually focusing, but perhaps it's because I'm focusing on flowers rather than bugs?

.... I have followed your suggestion and bought a used Metabones Adapter Canon EF > m4/3 last week and have spent two full days out shooting minibeasts with it so far and another day out tomorrow. I have the all-singing-dancing Canon 100mm IS version and feel much more comfortable with it physically even though it's a big lump of glass! My Kenko 1.4x fits well into the combo too and so I can have a reach of 280mm equivalent. The only downside is the loss of the Focus Stack option but I'm wondering if I can focus bracket manually and how best to do it.

Here are some of my first shots with this Olympus+Canon combo :

LARGE RED DAMSELFLY by Robin Procter, on Flickr

BANDED DEMOISELLE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

My macro hit rate has improved.

.... I have followed your suggestion and bought a used Metabones Adapter Canon EF > m4/3 last week and have spent two full days out shooting minibeasts with it so far and another day out tomorrow. I have the all-singing-dancing Canon 100mm IS version and feel much more comfortable with it physically even though it's a big lump of glass! My Kenko 1.4x fits well into the combo too and so I can have a reach of 280mm equivalent. The only downside is the loss of the Focus Stack option but I'm wondering if I can focus bracket manually and how best to do it.

Nice set the last is my fave
Glad to hear your macro hit rate has improved leys face it is hard enough without kit that doesn't do what you need.

That is impressive! Lovely shots.

Will the Canon lenses autofocus with that adapter - and are you stuck at the widest aperture? I've only tried a dumb one so far but it's fine with my macro lens - having said that I was going for shallow depth of field 'arty' flower shots, so it didn't matter about autofocus.

Will the Canon lenses autofocus with that adapter - and are you stuck at the widest aperture? I've only tried a dumb one so far but it's fine with my macro lens - having said that I was going for shallow depth of field 'arty' flower shots, so it didn't matter about autofocus.

.... Yes, the Canon 100mm lens I have autofocuses with that Metabones Adaptor and does so quite snappily. After the Kenko 1.4x is added there is a fractional delay on AF but it still happens and beeps the green box indicator. I have sold my other Canon lenses and so can't comment about others but think that the same must apply.

For macro I generally only use AF to get to first base and anyway the manual focus ring automatically overrides AF.

And no, the full aperture selection range is maintained via the Metabones Adapter.

Last edited:
.... Yes, the Canon 100mm lens I have autofocuses with that Metabones Adaptor and does so quite snappily. After the Kenko 1.4x is added there is a fractional delay on AF but it still happens and beeps the green box indicator. I have sold my other Canon lenses and so can't comment about others but think that the same must apply.

For macro I generally only use AF to get to first base and anyway the manual focus ring automatically overrides AF.

And no, the full aperture selection range is maintained via the Metabones Adapter.
Great, thank you!

Only see one once bootifull moths

Well... not sure what is happening with my 12 -100 on my EM1 Mk3. Have I done something to prevent it closing down beyond f8?

Edit: Well, it seems it was Pro Capture mode. I hadn't realised that before but then I haven't used that much either. I did a full reset so ....start again!

Last edited:
Well... not sure what is happening with my 12 -100 on my EM1 Mk3. Have I done something to prevent it closing down beyond f8?

Edit: Well, it seems it was Pro Capture mode. I hadn't realised that before but then I haven't used that much either. I did a full reset so ....start again!

.... Pro Capture Low frame rate has an aperture restriction of F/8 but what about Pro Capture High?

A SATIN CLOAKED COUNT DRACULA AWAITS NIGHTFALL!

The Cinnabar Moth is mostly nocturnal but I unintentionally disturbed this one while wading through the long grasses and managed to grab a couple of photos by crouching down low at a respectful distance. I love the fact that the bokeh of the aperture blades has accidentally created such a realistic 'Planet Earth'!

Handheld in very breezy conditions, on a day trip to Isle of Portland.

Olympus E-M1X, 300mm Pro + MC-20 @1200mm equivalent.

A SATIN CLOAKED COUNT DRACULA AWAITS NIGHTFALL! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Top two look slightly soft ,but topaz de.noise Ai would bring them back .overall though good results

Top two look slightly soft ,but topaz de.noise Ai would bring them back .overall though good results

.... I thought that too but apart from any help from Topaz DeNoise AI, it could be due to being shot at a very long distance and hence atmospherics. The near one isn't that sharp either, sorry!!

What was the shutter speed? And aperture?

The Olympus 300mm Pro + MC-20 combo is seriously sharp - I have shot plenty of examples on Flickr (some posted here) to prove it.

Ive been considering the Olympus MC20 for some time but was a little reticent because I remember how my Nikon 2x converter was hardly used as images just werent sharp enough.
anyhoo, finally pulled the trigger..it arrived yesterday and these are my first images with 300mm f4 and MC20 hand held.

Last edited:
thats as sharp as anything Trevor ,nice dunnock

Back