Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Thats pretty impressive Jeff. I'm trialing the software at the moment and not sure its working well for me. Perhaps its my workflow, any tips?
Depends what your normal p.p is Steve .. I use lightroom cc , first step is import raw files into LR . Then crop to whatever size suits your pic ,, adjust sliders (manually is best I find) till pic looks right ,don’t forget the curves section as this can lift your finished pic ..

then export to PS to keep it separate and if you cock up you can then go back and start again . So you now have a full sized part processed file in PS , now apply topaz de-noise Ai . Again using however much you think looks right in the thumbnail preview . Apply it when happy ..

Next resize image for the inter webby thing I resize to around 1650 pixels on longest edge .. then if needed lighten the eye Apply copyright ,and save and name .. job done

takes about 3 minutes from start to finish on my machine

Last edited:
Nervous about posting this, not sure if it's sharp enough for the high standards set here.
A nothing shot, posted to applaud Topaz de noise. 5000 ISO
I thought it cleaned up pretty well.

P5200003-Edit-Edit.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr

.... That's pin sharp exactly where it needs to be and that's on the eyes and head. The rest is simply DoF fall off which doesn't matter unless you wanted your image to be sharp all the way from front to back like a focus stack.

Dunnock are a very underrated bird, very subtle attractive plumage, a sweet singer although not quite as good as a Robin, and often easily approachable when you do so slowly and with respect.

DeNoise AI usually does an excellent job but it's not quite as magical as Topaz would have you believe. That's because it works on matching zillions of preset examples and sometimes an enclosed area within your image gets left out. The reason why DeNoise AI gets updated so often is to add more templates to match and that's also confirmed by what you see is loading during an update.

The problem doesn't happen often but I have experienced it half a dozen times on very noisy high ISO images and so subsequently used another denoise filter (Imageonic) which solves it.

Last edited:
Got to agree with robins findings ,I estimate that roughly 1 to 5% do not improve substantially with topaz and I also use turn to imageonic which was my go to noise reducer coupled with layering prior to topaz .
Even to the point on a least one occasion of using both one after the other .but it’s extremely rare this has to be done

A few from last nights wander on the Somerset levels avoided the usual go to places and visited Catcott for a change good potential here but tricky lighting as the hides favor early morning shooting There are some resident Lapwings but just that bit far away last night with the Panny 100-400 but I will go armed with the Oly 300 + the MC-20 next time

https://www.somersetwildlife.org/nature-reserves/catcott-complex

Southern Marsh Orchid 60 mm Macro focus stacked
_5201764 by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

Light was fading fast at this point

_5201917 by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

Swans are so graceful when on water but on land well thats another matter

_5201847 by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

Last edited:
Certainly looks a little sharper....will have a play with denoiseAI as Ive just downloaded the trial. Thanks.
Put a piece up above explaining how I use it

The expectant couple.

A cropped image from my morning session with the GC Grebes.

I reckon it's a decent testament for the quality of the 300mm Pro with the 2x T/C - look at the dragon fly on the extreme right hand edge of the image - ff equiv. of 1200mm.
Looks better on Flickr.

The expectant couple by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Last edited:
A few from last nights wander on the Somerset levels avoided the usual go to places and visited Catcott for a change good potential here but tricky lighting as the hides favor early morning shooting There are some resident Lapwings but just that bit far away last night with the Panny 100-400 but I will go armed with the Oly 300 + the MC-20 next time

https://www.somersetwildlife.org/nature-reserves/catcott-complex

Southern Marsh Orchid 60 mm Macro focus stacked
_5201764 by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

Light was fading fast at this point

_5201917 by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

Swans are so graceful when on water but on land well thats another matter

_5201847 by mazdaman2008, on Flickr
Lovely set, but the light in the 2nd is excellent, making it the stand out image for me (y)

Lovely set, but the light in the 2nd is excellent, making it the stand out image for me (y)
Thanks Jake really appreciate your feedback I feel after moving to Olympus I am finally getting to grips with the EM1 MK 2 taken a while but really beginning to enjoy using the camera. Never done Macro before a learning curve but thanks to all the contributors to this forum I have learnt heck of a lot

I don't know about Pro Capture High. It only has AF on the first frame so of limited use for me.

.... According to the PDF Manual (E-M1X), Pro Capture will work with C-AF but I haven't explored it in practice.

What are you trying to photograph using Pro Capture?

My first session photographing wildlife close up with Olympus STF-8 TwinLight flash. I am pleased that, to me, it doesn't look glaringly obvious that flash was used.

I hadn't realised just how close the Olympus ED 12-40mm F/2.8 Pro allows you to get - Just a few inches! I wanted to include the habitat.

MACRO FLASH CRANE FLY by Robin Procter, on Flickr

My first session photographing wildlife close up with Olympus STF-8 TwinLight flash. I am pleased that, to me, it doesn't look glaringly obvious that flash was used.

I hadn't realised just how close the Olympus ED 12-40mm F/2.8 Pro allows you to get - Just a few inches! I wanted to include the habitat.

MACRO FLASH CRANE FLY by Robin Procter, on Flickr
Robin
I would lift the shadows more but it is fine as it is.
Olympus do not put macro on lenses but many focus really close. I was looking at the 40-150 f2.8 in a shop and put hand out and got the camera to focus on my fingers the guy showing rather shocked said to me that didn't focus did it?
Then I demonstrated it to him and hecwas impressed.

good shot robin and impressive performance from the lens

Robin
I would lift the shadows more but it is fine as it is.
Olympus do not put macro on lenses but many focus really close. I was looking at the 40-150 f2.8 in a shop and put hand out and got the camera to focus on my fingers the guy showing rather shocked said to me that didn't focus did it?
Then I demonstrated it to him and he was impressed.

.... I did try lifting the shadows but even a tiny fraction (value 5 on the Capture One slider) increases the evidence of flash being used and I particularly wanted to avoid that. It's a learning curve not only with the Olympus STF-8 TwinFlash but because I have zero experience in using flash.

I have the Olympus 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro (the first Olympus lens I bought) and it's a superb lens as I think all the Oly Pro lenses are. It takes the MC teleconverters extremely well too. I must try its MFD too now you have reported that.

.... I did try lifting the shadows but even a tiny fraction (value 5 on the Capture One slider) increases the evidence of flash being used and I particularly wanted to avoid that. It's a learning curve not only with the Olympus STF-8 TwinFlash but because I have zero experience in using flash.

I have the Olympus 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro (the first Olympus lens I bought) and it's a superb lens as I think all the Oly Pro lenses are. It takes the MC teleconverters extremely well too. I must try its MFD too now you have reported that.
For most macro flash shots I start with dropping highlights and raising shadows to reduce contrast in Lightroom. I then bring it up where possible in Photoshop.

The MFD on the 40-150 Is 70cm

For most macro flash shots I start with dropping highlights and raising shadows to reduce contrast in Lightroom. I then bring it up where possible in Photoshop.

.... Cheers, I have taken your advice and started doing this (obviously subject to the individual image) as image posted below. In Capture One I usually reduce main contrast but increase micro contrast by saved default and finish off in ON1 as a plug-in.

Beetles mating_M1X7520 by Robin Procter, on Flickr

.... Cheers, I have taken your advice and started doing this (obviously subject to the individual image) as image posted below. In Capture One I usually reduce main contrast but increase micro contrast by saved default and finish off in ON1 as a plug-in.

Beetles mating_M1X7520 by Robin Procter, on Flickr
Robin
I am happy if that helps the image looks good

More likely to be a mature female. The young all have brown bills and the males' black plumage and yellow bills develop together.
I thought the yellow beak and eye rim meant it was male. My knowledge on these things are limited so happy to be proved wrong (y)

My Fuji XT-2 etc went off to MPB just as the confinement started so I haven't minded being without a camera too much.

Earlier this week we went to the Canal du Midi now that we are allowed to travel a little further. We can now go anywhere within a 100 km radius of our maison.

My charming wife kindly let me have a little go with her Olympus EM10 MkIII and 75-300. Does anyone know what these birds are?
P5200011.jpgP5200048.jpg

First one is a European Bee Eater

Second one a Glossy Ibis

PS a lovely part of France that live in.

Last edited:
@the black fox

This is all I get from my garden, happy to get anything though.

P5210013-Edit-Edit.jpg by Trevor, on Flickr
thats fine Trev , try putting out white hearts and niger seed for goldfinches..currently got blue tits in the back garden ready to fledge ,sat out there this morning in my p.j's to get some shots ..I'm lucky we have a corner property so back ,side and front gardens and a massive field out front leading down to the estuary

thats fine Trev , try putting out white hearts and niger seed for goldfinches..currently got blue tits in the back garden ready to fledge ,sat out there this morning in my p.j's to get some shots ..I'm lucky we have a corner property so back ,side and front gardens and a massive field out front leading down to the estuary

Thanks for the tip. I’ll get some ordered.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll get some ordered.
If you have a home bargains near they are pretty good for bird stuff ,jan got a massive lard filled pine cone from there last week the Blackbirds love it

Back