Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Just picked this post up from a Olympus employee on the Olympus education group Facebook group

Whilst I cannot verify the authenticity of the post if it is genuine then maybe the fat lady ain't singing yet

Hello Everyone on this group. What a week we have had. As an Olympus employee, I must say that I have had better days! I have had a meeting with senior management and I have to say that I feel much more reassured now than I have been in the past 48 hours! Having JIP take over the camera division may be the shot in the arm that the OM-D line has been in need of in recent years. I cannot say very much as I don't know everything that is being said behind closed doors, but having seen the camera and lens road map for the next 6-8 months, I must say that I am feeling more assured than before. I don't know if I will still be involved in the future of Olympus cameras going forward after October, I will simply say that the camera division is looking strong and in good hands. The OM-D line of cameras will not suddenly cease functioning because of new ownership! There is lots of positive out there and the new lenses and bodies planned for 2020 - 2021 look simply awesome. Stay well everyone.

I'm not particularly interested in gear for gear's sake but having just completed my mainly Olympus set-up I'm relieved and hopeful that this may be true. It ties in with what Andy Rouse was saying.

I'm not particularly interested in gear for gear's sake but having just completed my mainly Olympus set-up I'm relieved and hopeful that this may be true. It ties in with what Andy Rouse was saying.

There is a Robin Wong video, as well, with his optimistic take on the situation.

As the weather changed for the worse this morning instead of my usual walk around the wetlands I decided to visit a nearby village that frequently has a grey heron visiting the village pond. Typically whenever I pass with the camera its never there so I had to make do with a few ducks and a goose instead before the downpour began,
I think this is a Mallard Hen, but having found out recently ducks can be hybrid I'm not so sure.

Mallard (Hen) by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

I feel on safer ground with this one hopefully a Greylag goose

Greylag Goose by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Nice waterbirds Steve, what lens are you using?
Just the cheapie Oly 75-300. Now I’m into this bird photography lark would really love something better. Was thinking about renting out a PL 100-400 off Stewart on here and seeing if I can handle it, before committing nearly a £1000.

Does anyone have a non Olympus hood for the 17mm f1.8 ? The OE is hilariously priced...

My E1-M mk2 is now ageing well in regards to its warranty is due to expire on 27th Jan 2021, why is that relevant?

Well, I surmise I am not the only one getting email reminders (if you registered the purchase on the Olympus website ;) ) that come the end of the warranty period I will lose the opportunity to buy a 3 year extension.

Now I never buy the "push sales of extended warranties" for white goods etc at time of purchase and was quite intrigued when I noticed the terms at time of registration that one could extend at any time up until the expiry of the initial warranty.

So, looking ahead with the JIP buying of Olympus:-

1. I wonder what statements will be made later in 2020, as the details of the purchase are threshed out, about warranty & servicing matters.

2. And whether an extended warranty would be worthwhile at all?

Does anyone have a non Olympus hood for the 17mm f1.8 ? The OE is hilariously priced...

There is bay seller offering the JJC version for about £22 !

Or a brand called Cellonic on Am*zon for £31

Last edited:
FWIW

In common with many/all companies during Covid 19, Olympus have been saying that Covid19 might/will cause some delays in delivery times.

However, I now see they have added a line about Paypal payments only???

Covid-19: Due to the current situation, some of our delivery times may currently be longer than usual.
Payment: Until further notice we can only process payment by Paypal

No idea whether that second line is supposed to be read as related to Covid19 .................................or the JIP announcement???

FWIW

In common with many/all companies during Covid 19, Olympus have been saying that Covid19 might/will cause some delays in delivery times.

However, I now see they have added a line about Paypal payments only???

Covid-19: Due to the current situation, some of our delivery times may currently be longer than usual.
Payment: Until further notice we can only process payment by Paypal

No idea whether that second line is supposed to be read as related to Covid19 .................................or the JIP announcement???
That is interesting. I would say it's nothing to do with Covid. Perhaps it makes life easier to trace all income in one place? I may be wrong, but I don't think you have the same credit card protection if you go though Paypal do you?

That is interesting. I would say it's nothing to do with Covid. Perhaps it makes life easier to trace all income in one place? I may be wrong, but I don't think you have the same credit card protection if you go though Paypal do you?

Hi Bebop

AFAIK the ref to PayPal only appeared in the past few days, it makes me think that the JIP announcement has affected their merchant payments system....but why or how is moot! Not too sure but you might have a point that Section 75 protection is not covered under PayPal payments.....??? I think PayPal have their own protections in place but cannot think what they are as I rarely pay by that method?

PS FWIW I agree, I can't see any relevance to Covid19 situation!

PPS though from 2018 Martin Lewis says no Section 75 protection for PayPal payments :(

Last edited:
Hi Bebop

AFAIK the ref to PayPal only appeared in the past few days, it makes me think that the JIP announcement has affected their merchant payments system....but why or how is moot! Not too sure but you might have a point that Section 75 protection is not covered under PayPal payments.....??? I think PayPal have their own protections in place but cannot think what they are as I rarely pay by that method?

PS FWIW I agree, I can't see any relevance to Covid19 situation!

PPS though from 2018 Martin Lewis says no Section 75 protection for PayPal payments :(

I have an Olympus order from 28th May which I paid by credit card.

you can use your credit card to pay through PP so you must be safe .

Rob.

you can use your credit card to pay through PP so you must be safe .

Rob.

I thought if you used PP they paid and then took the money from your credit card,this would void your CC protection

My E1-M mk2 is now ageing well in regards to its warranty is due to expire on 27th Jan 2021, why is that relevant?

Well, I surmise I am not the only one getting email reminders (if you registered the purchase on the Olympus website ;) ) that come the end of the warranty period I will lose the opportunity to buy a 3 year extension.

Now I never buy the "push sales of extended warranties" for white goods etc at time of purchase and was quite intrigued when I noticed the terms at time of registration that one could extend at any time up until the expiry of the initial warranty.

So, looking ahead with the JIP buying of Olympus:-

1. I wonder what statements will be made later in 2020, as the details of the purchase are threshed out, about warranty & servicing matters.

2. And whether an extended warranty would be worthwhile at all?
personally if you intend to keep the camera it’s worth taking up,. Whether or not it’s a viable proposition after this weeks announcement is another thing your choice.
As to the change to PayPal payments .. I would think this is to halt payments going to Olympus as a overall company but starting to divert funds to “newco “ I might be wrong but can’t think of anything else

I thought if you used PP they paid and then took the money from your credit card,this would void your CC protection
I did not know that Mike .
Rob.

It's just something I filed back in my mind, that if I might need protection e.g. paying for a holiday, then not to use Paypal. If a company goes bankrupt then perhaps your money wouldn't be protected if you paid by Paypal whereas I think it is if you pay by credit card.

The danger is if you pay for a camera and then something happens before you get it. Hopefully you got your goods @Pound Coin ?

It is a worry as there aren't many reputable companies that would only let you pay by Paypal, or even any? :(

Last edited:
There is some sort of conflict regarding protection if you pay by CC via Paypal.
Can't recall exactly what, but i'm sure a Google would reveal more details
It's just something I filed back in my mind, that if I might need protection e.g. paying for a holiday, then not to use Paypal. If a company goes bankrupt then perhaps your money wouldn't be protected if you paid by Paypal whereas I think it is if you pay by credit card.

The danger is if you pay for a camera and then something happens before you get it. Hopefully you got your goods @Pound Coin ?

It is a worry as there aren't many reputable companies that would only let you pay by Paypal, or even any? :(
Martin Lewis goes into it here
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/PayPal-Section75/

TBH I only use PayPal for e.bay buying and selling and on the odd occasions I have had a problem a quick phone call usually gets the problem sorted . when you get the automated response just say clearly "I want to speak to a human" it works

just been messing around with the 300mm f4.5 lens I bought earlier this week ,I just found out it allows pro-cap L which now hopefully opens up a whole range of possibilities with it . I dont fully understand it yet but will learn , yet to try it on moving subjects but its just another bullet in the ammo box . stuck in again with lockdown and bad weather but gives me time to play
only a rose by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Just the cheapie Oly 75-300. Now I’m into this bird photography lark would really love something better. Was thinking about renting out a PL 100-400 off Stewart on here and seeing if I can handle it, before committing nearly a £1000.
I've had the 75-300 in the past and the 40 -150 pro but sold them to get the 100-400 which l really like and l am getting the results l am pretty happy with. Shame you can't get an extender for it. I use the body IS over the lens IS as it is better l think. I have cut my equipment down to 3 m4/3 lenses and one Sony lens and my photography has benefitted for it.

I currently have a E-PL8, would I gain much by getting a E-M10iii or a E-M5ii ?
Thanks.

I currently have a E-PL8, would I gain much by getting a E-M10iii or a E-M5ii ?
Thanks.

Christian
You will get a built in viewfinder for a start and a more features and direct access buttons to settings, also programmable buttons.

What do you want the camera for?
Do you use a viewfinder?
How important is portability to you?

Last edited:

Yes, the order arrived, It was quite a few days later than expected, but I put that down to COVID

Christian
You will get a built in viewfinder for a start and a more features and direct access buttons to settings, also programmable buttons.

What do you want the camera for?
Do you use a viewfinder?
How important is portability to you?

Alf,

I sold my D610 due to size, got the PL8 & I like it but miss the viewfinder and the DSLR feel.

Alf,

I sold my D610 due to size, got the PL8 & I like it but miss the viewfinder and the DSLR feel.
The OM-D line would suit you well then IMO.

[/QUOTE]
Unsure to get the M10iii or M5ii though.

The em10 is quite small but is fine for me ( I have average sized hands ) - if you don’t need weather sealing I’d go for that ( the mk2 )

I also have a d600 and d500 but love to use the Olympus whenever possible..

[/QUOTE]
Both very good cameras, my preference is the M5II though as it's a little bit bigger, weather sealed and feels better quality somehow (imo)

Both very good cameras, my preference is the M5II though as it's a little bit bigger, weather sealed and feels better quality somehow (imo)
[/QUOTE]
Not much difference in size, I went from 10.1 to 5.2 I like the weather proofing when out walking.

Unsure to get the EM10iii or EM5ii though.[/QUOTE]For a small camera the EM10iii with the 14-42mm EZ would be great
For a weather sealed choice theEM5ii with the 12-45mm f4 would be my choice.

I have not had the EM10 but love the way the EM5ii shrugs off terrible weather

Last edited:
Back