Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Unsure to get the M10iii or M5ii though.

I went from the E-PL5 to the E-M10 then to the E-M10 ii
The step from each was significant. I really liked having a viewfinder and the stabilisation on the 10ii was better.
When the E-M10iii came out I struggled to see anything that was better and some things were worse.
The big one related to dropping Bracketing and HDR in P/A/S modes if I remember.
Unless you want 4K video then the M10ii is as good.

I played with the M5 line and it's not much bigger than the M10 line - but I never take my camera anywhere where weather sealing is needed.

Not much difference in size, I went from 10.1 to 5.2 I like the weather proofing when out walking.
Nope not a lot of difference, but just enough for me to not feel cramped (y)

I saw mention of this on the Olympus e-Group web forum........................I am unsure what to make of it, as my PC is not camera or mic equipped but they do mention a chat facility in place to instant messaging!

A one day online Zoom conference on 9th August for £49.50

The current day plan maybe has something for all nature photographers???

09:00 - Introduction and Welcome - Andy Rouse

09.15 - Session 1 - Andy Rouse

10.15 - Session 1 ends

10.30 - Session 2 - Geraint Radford

11.30 - Session 2 ends

12.00 - Session 3 - David Grover from Capture One

13.00 - Session ends, lunch

14.00 - Session 3 - David Tipling

15.00 - Session 3 ends

15.15 - Session 4 - Jari Peltomaki

16.00 - Session 4 ends

16.15 - Community Session with Clare Harvey May and Andy Rouse

17.30 - Session and conference ends!

I saw ref to this July PhotographyOnline youTube piece

E-M1 mk3 being tried out by a landscape photographer and dedicated Nikon user......watching it now, so no immediate feedback but thought it might be worth sharing it? Note ~ the Kit Corner section runs til approx 17mins point

I thought his views were balanced and considered, explaining his view of the benefits & limitations to him a FF user landscape photographer. NB Broadly nothing new about the mk3 but a nice insight without IMO bias one way of the other ;)

View: https://youtu.be/34VKMyp6sGU?t=551

Last edited:
Thankfully my camera has not stopped working due to this news and all my favourite shots are on Olympus gear as that is pretty all I have ever used. I have a Sony RX100ii which is OK but I do not like as my much my old X-Z1 that I gave to my daughter

Maybe you could trade with your daughter! ;)

Robin on gate by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
This cabbage white Green Veined White was flitting about not staying in one place for long so ended up with this shot taken at full zoom 300mm, and a big crop. Wasn’t expecting much but was pleasantly surprised at the outcome. I must have been a good 3metres away from it and not noticed at the time the other creature on the flower head.

Cabbage White Butterfly by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Last edited:
Not much more than I paid used - I got one just before lock down.
Be aware that 600mm FF equivalent and quite slow at the long end makes handholding a challenge without the ISO skyrocketing.

Had a fabulous Olympus guru 1 to 1 yesterday, mainly on audio recording for videoing live music. Fantastic for Olympus to give us such opportunities. He alluded to further announcements this week and the idea that the camera side of the business will continue under another company - fingers crossed....

That's good to know Bebop. Whilst I've got no intentions of selling any of my Olympus gear, I do worry for the long term survival of the imaging part of the business under new ownership (especially given the current world economical conditions).

If they want to re-build trust in the brand again, (for new and existing customers), then I think it's imperative they show their commitment via new product launches and continued firmware updates. I just hope that any new product isn't just a re-hash using the exciting parts bin, but shows real innovation like the Olympus of the past that we all know and love.

Not much more than I paid used - I got one just before lock down.
Be aware that 600mm FF equivalent and quite slow at the long end makes handholding a challenge without the ISO skyrocketing.
It is slow at the long end, although not much more than the famed PL 100-400, and it does bump up the ISO in low light, but with a bit of practice you can get reasonable results from it and Topaz denoise helps too.
You seem to get some good results with it .
Cheaper than grey price at that .
Might plunge [emoji848][emoji44]
Its been a good lens to learn photographing birds with but the results are no a patch on some I see on here with Oly 300mm or the PL 100-400. I used to be too embarrassed to show mine when I see photos from Jeff, Robin and Alby as well as others, but they're usually encouraging and offer tips on how to improve.

Last edited:
Despite getting my RSPB handbook of British birds today and image searching on the internet I still couldn’t identify this with any real confidence but going for a recently fledged Pied Wagtail,

smbird2 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Untitled by Steve Vickers, on Flickr
I'm no expert on birds either but it doesn't look anything like a pied wagtail to me tbh. My guess is chaffinch fledgling

Last edited:
Despite getting my RSPB handbook of British birds today and image searching on the internet I still couldn’t identify this with any real confidence but going for a recently fledged Pied Wagtail,

I am no good at this either so I will go chaffinch
I will say though Steve after coming up with a guess google it and look at the images

Last edited:
And me more than likely a chaffinch , I got one last night on a lamppost i’m yet to I.d ... good shots btw Steve

I'm no expert on birds either but it doesn't look anything like a pied wagtail to me tbh. My guess is chaffinch fledgling
I am no good at this either so I will go chaffinch
I will say though Steve after coming up with a guess google it and look at the images
And me more than likely a chaffinch , I got one last night on a lamppost i’m yet to I.d ... good shots btw Steve

I’d never have guessed it was a chaffinch, although there are some similarities with the pattern on the wings. I’m never going to get the hang of this.

Some good news amongst the recent gloom good to see the roadmap for further lens development.

As others have suggested, it’s a juvenile Chaffinch.

iIf you compare the bills with the wagtail , this one has a rather chunky bill (a so called seed eatiing bill) and the wagtail had a narrower more pointy bill (a so called insect eating bill). The bill and the overall chunky shape of the bird and shortish tail makes it a finch type bird.

If you go to the RSPB guide and look at the finches you should see that the overall pattern of the markings (especially the wings) match the Chaffinch. The juveniles often look a bit like the adult females, but not always. Once you get close to what you think it might be, use other tools to help ID.

eg in the RSPB guide, the Brambling is next to the Chaffinch and has similar markings, but the map shows it’s a winter visitor, so its unlikely to be a juvenile Brambling. I don't think any of the other finch like birds match the patterns on your bird.

Finally, as I've just remembered this is a photography forum, most ID starts by identifying the "type" of bird e.g it’s finch like .or it’s warbler like, or wagtail like and most books have some guidance on this (the RSPB guide doesn't), and a lot of ID is about elimination e.g. it's unlikely to be this species as they are a winter visitor, it's unlikely to be this species because you only get them in northern Scotland, it's unlikely to be this species because they have an eyestripe etc.

Hope this is useful.

Peter Försgard - he says winter 2021 for the lens if I remember rightly. Could be either I guess since winter straddles years.

View: https://youtu.be/yxYnbwzivTw

.... The ED 100mm Macro Pro (200mm equivalent) sounds potentially good for my purposes. At least as long as its focus ring throw isn't as looong as the Oly 60mm Macro. Although I am very happy indeed with my hybrid Canon-Olympus macro 280mm (equivalent) rig.

.... The ED 100mm Macro Pro (200mm equivalent) sounds potentially good for my purposes. At least as long as its focus ring throw isn't as looong as the Oly 60mm Macro. Although I am very happy indeed with my hybrid Canon-Olympus macro 280mm (equivalent) rig.
I agree
A good MF clutch is key to it's success for me

LATEST NEWS FROM OLYMPUS :

:olympus:

Great extra for E-M1X users.....though it has taken a while......I wonder if they will be able to port this over to the E-M1mk3

BIRD SUBJECT DETECTION FOR OM-D E-M1X CAMERA
To help fulfill the growing needs of birding and wildlife photographers and make super telephoto shooting more convenient, development is underway to add Bird Detection capability to the Intelligent Subject Detection Autofocus of the OM-D E-M1X camera. This new feature will be available for the E-M1X via a firmware update that is scheduled for release in Winter 2020.

Back