Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Q1 first off its a excellent photo ,well detailed and natural colours , the eyes are the correct shape they are not circular in any shots I have taken .

Q2 sign up to flickr you get 1000 pics upload f.o.c .. then just load from there its easy for us , people can see your exif data if required and it takes pressure off of the forums allowed limits

Been practising with 1:1 Macro, using EM5.3 with 60mm, manual focus & handheld focus stacking. I do also have a couple of question bellow to at the bottom if that okay :)

View attachment 288162

Q1) In relation to the actual image, I only did some light processing in Lightroom Classic as I didn't think the image needed much doing, however the only thing I would have liked to do and couldn't work out the best way to do it; was how best to make the eyes look more rounded, as at the moment the image shows the eyes with white highlighted areas at the top & would have liked them to look more rounded and natural plus a bit of extra colour? Hope you can help :)

Q2) This is forum related & future. What export setting should I use when exporting raw files from LR to jpeg so that they are suitable for upload on here for example as I wanted to upload some more examples to this post of other images i took, but it said that after this one image I couldn't upload any more due to size? How should I export & upload images to this in the future?

Many thanks again everyone, very much appreciated :)

The eyes look fine to me too the catch-light suggest lighting from above and right

Greenbottle eating apple by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Q1 first off its a excellent photo ,well detailed and natural colours , the eyes are the correct shape they are not circular in any shots I have taken .

Q2 sign up to flickr you get 1000 pics upload f.o.c .. then just load from there its easy for us , people can see your exif data if required and it takes pressure off of the forums allowed limits

Thank you very much Jeff, very much appreciated & I feel everything I have been learning (with your help for lots of it), over the last few weeks, is coming together. Also thanks for the comments abouthe eyes, I will leave them as they are in that case :)

As for the apload side of things, I will definitely take a look at Flickr, I did notice that its what you tend to use yourself. One follow question, would I be right in saying that when you go to uploading images to a post you use the link URL method?

Thanks again for your help & support again Jeff :)

Thank you very much Jeff, very much appreciated & I feel everything I have been learning (with your help for lots of it), over the last few weeks, is coming together. Also thanks for the comments abouthe eyes, I will leave them as they are in that case :)

As for the apload side of things, I will definitely take a look at Flickr, I did notice that its what you tend to use yourself. One follow question, would I be right in saying that when you go to uploading images to a post you use the link URL method?

Thanks again for your help & support again Jeff :)
You post the BB code from Flickr for the size you want.
Its best to resize images before posting on Flickr as they show better on the fotum

You post the BB code from Flickr for the size you want.
Its best to resize images before posting on Flickr as they show better on the fotum

Thank you, I will give this a try tommoro & upload to here, some more images from today.

Going back to my Previous post I mulled over my lens choices , looked at the pancake lens as recommended by Alf but I have seen to many broken or damaged ones being offered for sale so discounted that .and for better or Worse went for the Olympus 12-50mm EZ ..should be here fri .

Well it is back - BUT it looks like they have been playing football with it. we are not amused !!!!!

That is poor, always reading on here how good they are.
Good luck getting it sorted to your satisfaction

Well it is back - BUT it looks like they have been playing football with it. we are not amused !!!!!
in what way , photos? ... it should have some type of note/ letter with it ..if your not happy complain to them first ... .this does go against everything that most people experience myself included ...

What! they returned it damaged compared to the condition you sent it in? :(

Your earlier, pre sending, pictures showed good condition except for the dislodged ring......what does it look like now???

The parcel or the lens itself? If I receive a damaged parcel I always take a photo of it so that if the item inside is 'broken' the sender can take it up with the shipping company. The lens should come back in no worse condition than you sent it.

Some more images from yesterdays trial, some stacked & some single shot. All using EM5.3 with 60mm & light raw processing in LR.

Hopefully I think i'm starting to get the hang of the photography & the light processing side of things!

(Hope they upload correctly as using Flickr, thank you Jeff & Alf for your help with that one).

P7290405 by Joe Booth, on Flickr

P7290331 by Joe Booth, on Flickr

P7290312 by Joe Booth, on Flickr

P7290286 by Joe Booth, on Flickr

P7290295 by Joe Booth, on Flickr

P7290245.ORF by Joe Booth, on Flickr

P7290117 by Joe Booth, on Flickr

Some more images from yesterdays trial, some stacked & some single shot. All using EM5.3 with 60mm & light raw processing in LR.

Hopefully I think i'm starting to get the hang of the photography & the light processing side of things!

(Hope they upload correctly as using Flickr, thank you Jeff & Alf for your help with that one).

P7290405 by Joe Booth, on Flickr

P7290331 by Joe Booth, on Flickr

P7290312 by Joe Booth, on Flickr

P7290286 by Joe Booth, on Flickr

P7290295 by Joe Booth, on Flickr

P7290245.ORF by Joe Booth, on Flickr

P7290117 by Joe Booth, on Flickr
Nice set Joe. I particularly like the first one.

If you didn't want to upload to Flickr (though you seem to have that sorted)... I have set myself up an export preset in Lightroom where I resize the image to width and height 1000x768 and maximum file size 500Kb and I usually just attach it as a file to the post. You can then choose thumbnail or large image to insert.

This is from the 52 guidelines for uploading pics...
If attaching a file direct from your PC / device, into a thread.
this must not exceed 1024px on the longest side or 500Kb
otherwise it will fail to up load

your getting there Joe ,looks like a scene from quatermass and the pit :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

The parcel or the lens itself? If I receive a damaged parcel I always take a photo of it so that if the item inside is 'broken' the sender can take it up with the shipping company. The lens should come back in no worse condition than you sent it.

Tha parcel was unmarked and pristine - the lens not so

What! they returned it damaged compared to the condition you sent it in? :(

Your earlier, pre sending, pictures showed good condition except for the dislodged ring......what does it look like now???

scrartch on lens and scratch on lens that is hidden by the lens hood when retracted and scratch on lens cap
+ slight marks and paint loss on lens foot.

scrartch on lens and scratch on lens that is hidden by the lens hood when retracted and scratch on lens cap

I know this might sound daft, but is it the same lens?

Have you checked the serial number

Last edited:

That’s shocking :(

Nice set Joe. I particularly like the first one.

If you didn't want to upload to Flickr (though you seem to have that sorted)... I have set myself up an export preset in Lightroom where I resize the image to width and height 1000x768 and maximum file size 500Kb and I usually just attach it as a file to the post. You can then choose thumbnail or large image to insert.

This is from the 52 guidelines for uploading pics...
If attaching a file direct from your PC / device, into a thread.
this must not exceed 1024px on the longest side or 500Kb
otherwise it will fail to up load

Thank you very much & thank you also for the export tips, that will definitely be useful as a nother option in the future. :)

Last edited:

What!!!!

Have you checked the serial number

This ^^ but to get back a lens that shows (as you outline) such marked new damage is staggering.....and I have not previously heard of any similar incidents. Everything I have read about the Portuguese service centre in the past has been positive.

PS my only experience of it/them was my 12-40mm lens cap, it fell apart...I expected Olympus to replace it but no, it was sent to Portugal and repaired!

What!!!!

This ^^ but to get back a lens that shows (as you outline) such marked new damage is staggering.....and I have not previously heard of any similar incidents. Everything I have read about the Portuguese service centre in the past has been positive.

PS my only experience of it/them was my 12-40mm lens cap, it fell apart...I expected Olympus to replace it but no, it was sent to Portugal and repaired!
I always had great service from Olympus.

Last edited:
The Serial number is on the collar so can be fitted to any lens. But I have checked the serial number in the Exif and it is the same.

How strange and shocking.

My only experience with Olympus service in Portugal was fantastic. A warranty repair on my EM1ii and 3 lenses serviced. Turned around in 3 or 4 days if I remember rightly - with their Pro Service.

Please keep us posted.

Just been to go outdoors in saltney taken nearly 2 hours of nose to tail to get home

The cap on my 12-40 lens came apart yesterday but I managed to rescue all the pieces. Seems not uncommon looking at YouTube so when I get home I can get some glue. Any tips?
Also I seem to remember someone on this forum saying that they used a generic type neoprene lens cap rather than the OEM (the black fox?). If correct,any links to such things?

The cap on my 12-40 lens came apart yesterday but I managed to rescue all the pieces. Seems not uncommon looking at YouTube so when I get home I can get some glue. Any tips?
Also I seem to remember someone on this forum saying that they used a generic type neoprene lens cap rather than the OEM (the black fox?). If correct,any links to such things?

Any lens cap should fit if it is the right size - that would be 62mm about £2 off the bay.

or this might fit
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stubby-H...619696?hash=item1ca794a030:g:EUAAAOSw--xbGgdM

easily solved just do a search on amazon or e.bay for foldable rubber lens HOOD , and put in your filter size on search criteria ( size is on rear of lens cap) lots available .. will try to find a linky thingy
here ya go quiet expensive that one but there's cheaper on there one for £3.82 at the moment

Last edited:
one of the wife's prized roses taken with my (new to me) 12-50mm EZ utility lens . .. needed a walkabout MFT lens that fitted in with what I already had . this fits the bill nicely reasonable quality for not a lot of money .
tangoed by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

That happened to mine within weeks of purchase. I reported it to Olympus expecting them to simply(?) send me one but no, I had to make a warranty claim.

So off all the parts went in a bag,.............and it was sent to their Portuguese service centre and repaired.

I have since gotten budget ones, twice as the JJC ones were a poor fit.......I now have a couple Polaroid brand ones that fit just fine.

Back