Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Keep watching ,reading and absorbing Malcolm , changed tack about 10 times today ,the one thing I can’t get a answer with is pro cap they all say it does it but no one will answer on pro.cap low ,the real game changer

Keep watching ,reading and absorbing Malcolm , changed tack about 10 times today ,the one thing I can’t get a answer with is pro cap they all say it does it but no one will answer on pro.cap low ,the real game changer

.... Jeff, I have read on an official story by Olympus on Instagram that their new 100-400mm does support Pro Capture but I don't know yet if in Low. Will post here if I learn more. Mutual friend Andy R might be able to tell us.

I've def read somewhere today that it supports both pro capture modes - I'll try to find it.

"+ Full Functionality with Oly Body – Olympus allows you to use all the features, Panasonic does not allow ProCapture L (ProCapture H only) and composite macro."

This is an excerpt from the Petr Bambousek link posted earlier in this thread (#20861)

Last edited:
yep getting conflicting somewhat evasive answers ,almost as if the reviewers testers aint got a f*****g clue as to what im on about .theres a zoom meeting tomorrow with mark thackera head of olympus u.k on the e.group I'll ask him . .

Chris Nicholls at DPreview only semi impressed.
Can't see anyone with the Leica 100-400mm changing for this. (apart from @the black fox :))

View: https://youtu.be/K9-EZsb-J90

.... I don't think that Chris Nicholls was "only semi-impressed" - I think that he gave a very real-world assessment taking into account the lens's positioning in Olympus's range and, importantly, its price level and consequently design limitations < It's not realistic to expect more.

At this stage I think this is an extremely flexible and practical lens to have in your arsenal, obviously subject the what you shoot. The alternative is to wait for the forthcoming 150-400mm+1.25x but I expect that will cost three times as much if not more and definitely will be bigger and heavier.

I don't have a Leica 100-400mm and so it's a no-brainer to choose the Olympus in preference.

As I have both the MC-14 and MC-20 it's a question of whether to trade my ED 300mm F/4 Pro or not < It's optics are stellar but there have been plenty times when I have wanted it to zoom to create the picture I envisage. I already have the Olympus 40-150mm Pro which faultlessly takes both TCs.

Petr Bambousek's wildlife examples of his work with this lens satisfy me. The 300mm Pro prime will have an edge, but I'm not producing images for billboards.

o.k just seen a real time picture from someone stateside thats took the trouble to mount lens and show control panel with PRO-CAP LOW engaged and working the final piece of the jigsaw , all I need now is £1085 pounds ,, go fund me anyone :D:D:D:D

Last edited:
I think it a case of can you live without 600mm FOV at f4 when i bought my Sony a7r4 and 200/600 f6.3 I kept my Olympus kit for quite a while as it meant i could stay out about 40 mins longer, for Owls that can mean getting a shot or Not as the light fades

Rob.

I think it a case of can you live without 600mm FOV at f4 when i bought my Sony a7r4 and 200/600 f6.3 I kept my Olympus kit for quite a while as it meant i could stay out about 40 mins longer, for Owls that can mean getting a shot or Not as the light fades.

I'm interested in this, as there is a general rule of thumb that there is about a 2 stop advantage in quality for FF over M43, I would have thought that the low light advantage (albeit small) would have been with the Sony as he increase in ISO needed for the smaller aperture, would be offset by the larger sensor.

Unless I've misunderstood, you seem to have found the advantage lay with the Olympus, is that correct.

Actually, I think I should edit this, as the differences do seem to dwindle at higher ISOs, so maybe in low light it makes sense that M43 might well have an advantage, still interested in your experiences however.

Last edited:
Re: new Olympus 100-400mm

If this had been out when I was looking for more reach than the 40-150 f2.8 gives me I would likely have bought it and not the 300mm.

Having read Petr Bambousek's (whose opinions I value & respect) the new lens is in its class quite a performer.

So, for me I will stick with my 300mm because that would have to be sold if 'wished' to get the 100-400mm.............future???

I'm interested in this, as there is a general rule of thumb that there is about a 2 stop advantage in quality for FF over M43, I would have thought that the low light advantage (albeit small) would have been with the Sony as he increase in ISO needed for the smaller aperture, would be offset by the larger sensor.

Unless I've misunderstood, you seem to have found the advantage lay with the Olympus, is that correct.

Actually, I think I should edit this, as the differences do seem to dwindle at higher ISOs, so maybe in low light it makes sense that M43 might well have an advantage, still interested in your experiences however.
The iso noise is very close with the 60mp a7r4 and EM1x even though it's FF v m43 My a9mkII FF is about 2 stops better hence why FF can sometimes be a little misleading .

Rob

The min focus and stacking interests me

The iso noise is very close with the 60mp a7r4 and EM1x even though it's FF v m43 My a9mkII FF is about 2 stops better hence why FF can sometimes be a little misleading .

Rob

Interesting.

I've done tests with my "not exactly cutting edge" cameras (EM5Mk2, Fuji X100s, and Nikon D600) with the Olympus at ISO 200, Fuji at 400 and Nikon at 800, along with bracketing exposures to try and get the optimum exposure from each camera. I've also tested the Fuji and Olympus at ISO 3200 an ISO 800, all in a variety of conditions and found that FF still gives better technical quality than APC and APC still gives better technical better than M43, even at the different ISO settings meant to adjust for the different sensor sizes.

It was close, but to be frank not as close as I had thought it might be, especially as I was trying to help justify getting rid of some Fuji gear to buy the Olympus kit, but there is more to a camera than its sensor performance.

I found up to 800 iso all 3 cameras were close enough to not have any fear of noise being bad and I rarely go above that
3200 and 6400 started to show the a9mkII was getting ahead .

That said Topaz denoise can bring them all closer together

Like you I just had too much gear after ISO tests I went to CAF test static and BIF the a9mk II was always the winner so sold the other 2 I feel i made the right choice Just waiting for Sony next pro type camera now :)

Rob.

Re: new Olympus 100-400mm

If this had been out when I was looking for more reach than the 40-150 f2.8 gives me I would likely have bought it and not the 300mm.

Having read Petr Bambousek's (whose opinions I value & respect) the new lens is in its class quite a performer.

So, for me I will stick with my 300mm because that would have to be sold if 'wished' to get the 100-400mm.............future???

.... I would most likely have bought the Olympus 100-400mm instead of my 300mm Pro too. In fact, when I bought the 300mm I thought of it as possibly being only a temporary measure to achieve more reach in my Olympus system until the 150-400mm+1.25x became available. However, great as the 150-400mm+1.25x undoubtedly will be, there is now enough information from Olympus to learn that it is a large and heavy lens for walkabout wildlife and especially when carrying a second M1X + lens as I usually do. And it will be rather expensive to justify due to relatively seldom I would use it. A perfect lens for hides though and at my 'kitchen window hide' at home. But the 100-400mm would do a good enough job.

This Olympus 100-400mm sounds like an excellent alternative and I haven't come across any deal-breakers yet. Sure, it will have some limitations but doesn't every lens have some limitations? According to reports so far I don't think that image quality is over compromised and I too value and respect Petr Bambousek's opinions as a wildlife photographer.

My photography since buying into Olympus in November 2019 has evolved organically to include surfing and related subjects fairly equally to wildlife and they both present very similar challenges. I don't photograph people unless they are wearing a black rubber suit or a bikini! On a very recent daytrip to Cornwall to a surf beach I have never visited before, I found that my safe distance to avoid a rising tide was such that I ideally wanted a bit more than my usual 40-150mm + 2x (600mm max equivalent) but that my 300mm + 1.4x (840mm) lacked any of the zoom flexibility needed to fully cover a surfer's path and it was more difficult to find a targetted surfer in the first place!

I may have already convinced myself to buy an Olympus 100-400mm! I think I may do that and then either return it or sell my 300mm Pro (watch the Classifieds if you are interested).

Last edited:
I found up to 800 iso all 3 cameras were close enough to not have any fear of noise being bad and I rarely go above that
3200 and 6400 started to show the a9mkII was getting ahead .

Yes, that's the important bit, its not so much whether something is slightly better, but more about things being "fit for purpose".

Yes, that's the important bit, its not so much whether something is slightly better, but more about things being "fit for purpose".

.... I could not agree with you more!!

Fit-for-Purpose / Horses-for-Courses as I am always saying.

With reference to the new Oly 100-400mm, I've been looking for a while at the Panasonic 100-400 and slowly saving up for that one.
With the Oly now an option I'm thinking it's finally time to part with my Nikon gear or more to the point the Tamron 150-600mm VC and the 70-300mm Vr. Then I'll not be too far off the price of this and only have to put a little to it.
I think I've now decided the panasonic is no longer on my radar but the Oly most definately is. Time to get the Nikon stuff up for sale, which gives me a few weeks before the Oly actually goes on sale. [emoji41]

With reference to the new Oly 100-400mm, I've been looking for a while at the Panasonic 100-400 and slowly saving up for that one.
With the Oly now an option I'm thinking it's finally time to part with my Nikon gear or more to the point the Tamron 150-600mm VC and the 70-300mm Vr. Then I'll not be too far off the price of this and only have to put a little to it.
I think I've now decided the panasonic is no longer on my radar but the Oly most definately is. Time to get the Nikon stuff up for sale, which gives me a few weeks before the Oly actually goes on sale. [emoji41]

.... I am confident that you will have absolutely no regrets. I moved from Canon, both D-SLR and mirrorless with big supertelephoto L lenses, and much as I loved my Canons I am much more enabled with the Olympus system. I no longer have to decide which lenses have to stay at home when I go out for a long day.

I haven't used pro-capture myself yet but for wildlife it could be a winner; therefore a big plus point for the Olympus versus the Panasonic. Still there's the extra length and weight, though.

.... I haven't used Pro Capture yet either. Shame on me after 8 months!

Surely the extra weight compared with the Panasonic is negligable and it's more about the physical balance with the body you mount it on?

Length? - I think that too is negligable but of course what suits YOU best is only something which you can decide.

.... I am confident that you will have absolutely no regrets. I moved from Canon, both D-SLR and mirrorless with big supertelephoto L lenses, and much as I loved my Canons I am much more enabled with the Olympus system. I no longer have to decide which lenses have to stay at home when I go out for a long day.
I think I'd have the ideal matched lens set up. I have the E-M1mkii with the 12-100 f4 pro so this would give me 12-400mm in 2 lenses. Add a 1.4x TC and that makes a light-ish kit to lug around (especially at the side of the Nikon).

A very positive review from ephotozine with MTF charts for those who care for the teccy stuff

just been on a zoom meeting on the e.group forum hosted by mark Thackera head of olympus u.k he said supplies should be hitting the shops by around the 17th august .. the deal breaker for me is pro-cap low as that opens up so many possibilities . time will tell

.... I haven't used Pro Capture yet either. Shame on me after 8 months!

Surely the extra weight compared with the Panasonic is negligable and it's more about the physical balance with the body you mount it on?

Length? - I think that too is negligable but of course what suits YOU best is only something which you can decide.
robin as you already have the t.c's its a no brainer go for it

just been on a zoom meeting on the e.group forum hosted by mark Thackera head of olympus u.k he said supplies should be hitting the shops by around the 17th august .. the deal breaker for me is pro-cap low as that opens up so many possibilities . time will tell
I've been in touch with HDEW this morning. They say that they are usually a bit behind the general release but stock is expected in by mid-September. Hopefully it will be cheaper there.

I've been in touch with HDEW this morning. They say that they are usually a bit behind the general release but stock is expected in by mid-September. Hopefully it will be cheaper there.

Quite considerably cheaper.......! Last time i bought an olympus lens from them it took a bit longer than they said it would but it worth it for the saving.

The Panasonic is 34 mm shorter (1.36 inches) and 135 gm lighter (about 5 oz) lighter; those dimensions are not massively different but it might make a difference to some people. If I were buying now I'd probably go for the Olympus and I may even swap at some time in the future. I thought I'd gone beyond all this chopping and changing gear! (As if......!)

Presumably the Olympus designers were told to come up with something that would out-perform the Panasonic and this is what they came up with. You've got to hand it to them. :clap: :clap:

The Panasonic is 34 mm shorter (1.36 inches) and 135 gm lighter (about 5 oz) lighter; those dimensions are not massively different but it might make a difference to some people. If I were buying now I'd probably go for the Olympus and I may even swap at some time in the future. I thought I'd gone beyond all this chopping and changing gear! (As if......!)

Presumably the Olympus designers were told to come up with something that would out-perform the Panasonic and this is what they came up with. You've got to hand it to them. :clap: :clap:
The extra length and weight are because it is designed to take the teleconverters

Spotted these in the communal grassed area today and ended up following them around for about an hour. They just wouldn’t let me get close, so big crops and I’ve blown the forehead on the adult but I’m sharing anyway, they’re my first Pied Wagtails :)

Adult Pied Wagtail by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Juvenile Pied Wagtail by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Nice Steve

It’s a real conundrum. I have the OLYMPUS 300f4 And use it with converters. Very pleased with the results. But the thought of the 100-400 in such a lightweight package is very tempting. Only problem is that I would need to sell the 300 and it’s a very fine lens. Might need to sit it out for a while and watch the reviews flood in.

It’s a real conundrum. I have the OLYMPUS 300f4 And use it with converters. Very pleased with the results. But the thought of the 100-400 in such a lightweight package is very tempting. Only problem is that I would need to sell the 300 and it’s a very fine lens. Might need to sit it out for a while and watch the reviews flood in.
It’s worse for me I have the PL 100-400 , there’s a few advantages with the new lens but is it worth the hassle to gain a incremental increase , yes it’s been tested by reviewers world wide ,but only someone that’s LEARNED the PL will be able to give a fair answer as to better or worse

Back