Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Sounds like a plan. It'd make it a nice cheap, new mkii body with 2 year warranty to boot.
Although knowing what I'm like it'd be hard to part with the new lens, so I'm not willing to take the risk[emoji6]
I just did it but even better as I got 12 months interest free plus a 5 year warranty with UK Digital and I checked the Olympus site first and they’re on the list of approved dealers. Now which lens will I get for free?

Evening all!

Can anyone recommend a simple top loader case (triangle shape type), that will hold an EM 5 mark 3 with the 12-40mm pro lens attached?

Cheers :)

Seems like a hell of a deal?
Is it too good to be true?
That's an insane deal, so you buy a camera for £1099 and get a lens worth £1199 for free? :eek:

That's an insane deal, so you buy a camera for £1099 and get a lens worth £1199 for free? :eek:
as long as you have use for it that is ??

Evening all!

Can anyone recommend a simple top loader case (triangle shape type), that will hold an EM 5 mark 3 with the 12-40mm pro lens attached?

Cheers :)
Joe I think these are better than the triangular shaped ones.

Last edited:
Thank you, I will take a look at this :)

I have just had a proper look and they do a size down from this whichI agree would probably be better as even in the size down (which would suite me better as I’m only small aha), I could fit my 75-300mm and other bit treating it more of a day bag when out and about on holiday :)

Thank you for pointing me to it :)

That's an incredible offer! Olympus obviously trying to clear some excess stock. I'm normally a great one for a bargain but I've no need for any of those lenses. I can forsee a glut of mint f1.2 prime Olympus lenses on the secondhand market in a few months time!

Haven't ruled it out for myself though............

Came here to mention the offer as well, we both picked up the 12-45mm bundled kit off Amazon for £1089 yesterday (back at £1472 now!) and will be getting the 17mm and 45mm free!

Just got to work out what to keep and what to sell now as that's a heck of a price to get our toes into mirrorless, thinking of keeping 1x body and the 17mm & 45mm (for a grand total of around £750!?) but as I have no experience of Olympus, I'd welcome any advice!

Last edited:
I’ve been on the fence regarding moving to olympus and the EM-1ii. The free lens offer is quite attractive. Sadly it’s not a lens I’d really have a use for so I’d likely sell the lens. The issue with these types of offers the second hand prices of these lenses nosedives as people are aware sellers got them for nothing. I remember something similar happened with the Nikon D750 and 24-120. The two were sold as a kit at a ridiculously low price by grey sellers. People were trying to sell the 24-120 at current used prices but a glut of them on the used market meant prices dropped pretty quickly especially when buyers knew what was happening.

Market forces.....early purchasers will benefit as they can sell before too many become available. Then again whats not to like about an Em1ii and a f1.2 Pro lens for under a £1000 anyway?

having switched to olympus last year due to heart problems (needed lighter gear) I dont regret it in any way shape or form , there is a learning curve with both the camera menus and how to p/p to the best advantage . but take a look at photo i.q from users in general ,plenty of photos in this thread alone .having come down the long road of canikon dslr's olympus is a way way ahead of the game .
these days I tend to look at others lugging huge bits of kit around and just silently smile to myself

Came here to mention the offer as well, we both picked up the 12-45mm bundled kit off Amazon for £1089 yesterday (back at £1472 now!) and will be getting the 17mm and 45mm free!

Just got to work out what to keep and what to sell now as that's a heck of a price to get our toes into mirrorless, thinking of keeping 1x body and the 17mm & 45mm (for a grand total of around £750!?) but as I have no experience of Olympus, I'd welcome any advice!
Just make sure that they are Amazon UK and not a third party seller as they don’t qualify. Only saying as I almost pushed that button but realised they would’nt be valid to claim the lens.

Just make sure that they are Amazon UK and not a third party seller as they don’t qualify. Only saying as I almost pushed that button but realised they would’nt be valid to claim the lens.

Definitely made sure, as getting it wrong twice wouldn't be cheap!

Screenshot 2020-09-02 at 12.23.07.jpg

having switched to olympus last year due to heart problems (needed lighter gear) I dont regret it in any way shape or form , there is a learning curve with both the camera menus and how to p/p to the best advantage . but take a look at photo i.q from users in general ,plenty of photos in this thread alone .having come down the long road of canikon dslr's olympus is a way way ahead of the game .
these days I tend to look at others lugging huge bits of kit around and just silently smile to myself
Part of my thinking is weight but the lenses and camera I’m looking at aren’t far off the weight of the Sony gear I currently have (I cut out quite s bit of the weight when I left Nikon). There is an argument that I’d only need one lens and camera for landscapes if I went with the 12-100. My main point will be the Olympus kit will be about half the cost of Sony kit. My main issue is that I don’t get out enough for photography now but when I do I still enjoy it. Having thousands sat in the cupboard unused most of the time seems a bit crazy. I still want to do photography but it’s gett harder justifying having £££’s of kit sat in a cupboard.

Offers like the em-1ii just seem to reinforce the move would be a good thing for me.
Market forces.....early purchasers will benefit as they can sell before too many become available. Then again whats not to like about an Em1ii and a f1.2 Pro lens for under a £1000 anyway?
If you can choose the lens you have the 17mm F1.2 could potentially be useful for Astro landscapes.

I think you are right. It’s still a free lens at the end of the day. Even if I didn’t use it that often I’d know I didn’t spend £1200 on it so it won’t feel so bad sat in a cupboard most of the time.

I went for the deal too, though Park was out of stock and the Amazon offer I missed, so I bought direct from Olympus at £1099 for the body only, but went via Quidco and am getting £53 cash back. Now trying to decide which additional lenses to look at. The good thing is that I used to have the mk1 and bought the mount converter to use my old M42 and PK lenses on the Olly M43 mount, so I have other lenses available albeit probably not of the same quality.

Although at the moment i use Panasonic i have admiration for the Olympus cameras and lenses,bit disappointed though to see Mr Wong defending the lower spec IS on the Olympus100-400 by suggesting that Panasonic lied/mislead about the IS on the Panny 100-400, he admits to not knowing the lens and i have never seen this suggested before.
Come on sir dont try to improve Olympus sales with hinted slurs against Panasonic, with a FOV OF 800MM many users want all the IS they can get

Although at the moment i use Panasonic i have admiration for the Olympus cameras and lenses,bit disappointed though to see Mr Wong defending the lower spec IS on the Olympus100-400 by suggesting that Panasonic lied/mislead about the IS on the Panny 100-400, he admits to not knowing the lens and i have never seen this suggested before.
Come on sir dont try to improve Olympus sales with hinted slurs against Panasonic, with a FOV OF 800MM many users want all the IS they can get

Do we see the hint of a little panic at Olympus?
"Knocking" the opposition has never made any sense - so why start on a partner? Also the latest crazy promotion on the EM1ii does current owners and Pro prime lens owners no favours at all re. value of their kit.

"Knocking" the opposition has never made any sense - so why start on a partner? Also the latest crazy promotion on the EM1ii does current owners and Pro prime lens owners no favours at all re. value of their kit.

Does look like bit of a fire sale, read somewhere that Olympus intend to stop production and development of the f/1.2 Pro lenses

Hope not, i agree with what you said about current kit value, let's hope Olympus are just trying to bury some of the negative press they have had.

I am fighting my GAS very hard at the moment, the 17mm 1.2 would be great for astro landscapes, but I don't actually need it as I have PL 15mm 1.7 and 8mm 1.8. Before that I was fighting hard to not buy the Oly 100-400, as I have the PL100-400 that I have barely used over lockdown because I have been using the PL200 with x1.4 & x2 TCs.

However, if Oly do release the 8-25mm f4 that's it, I'm on it......

I am fighting my GAS very hard at the moment, the 17mm 1.2 would be great for astro landscapes, but I don't actually need it as I have PL 15mm 1.7 and 8mm 1.8. Before that I was fighting hard to not buy the Oly 100-400, as I have the PL100-400 that I have barely used over lockdown because I have been using the PL200 with x1.4 & x2 TCs.

However, if Oly do release the 8-25mm f4 that's it, I'm on it......
I know, GAS is a bugger isn’t it - I gave in and ordered another EM1 mkii on Tuesday which has just arrived and I’ve already put a claim in for the 17mm F1.2 lens.
I’ve also had the same mental fight over the 100-400 but decided that the PL 100-400 that i already have is sufficient for my needs given I have the Oly 40-150 Pro + extenders.

Here is a Hi Res shot from Monday the use of Hi res in this shot smoothed out the water and reflection like a long exposure shot but this does not always work so I was switching between modes

Wasdale summer sunset by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Alf, hope you don't mind me asking but how did you get on with Hi-res mode? I tried it the other day and found it far more complicated than it need be. Things I noticed were

1. It cannot be set if auto-bracketing is set (but doesn't warn you about this anywhere)
2. The tripod needs to be absolutely rock solid.
3. It gives you jpegs even if it is set to give you raws. Or do you have to reset it to produce raws AFTER you have got it into hi-res mode?

managed to get the local group of spoonbills today after 3 unsuccessful attempts over the last couple of week , tried knocking my iso right back to 250iso to reduce the noise and it worked extremely well . not much good for b.i.f but worked here
spoon day by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

bit of a long shot by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good shots.
RSPB have an estimate of about 80 birds overwintering in the Uk , so where are these please.
I can’t speak for Jeffs birds but there are a lot in Norfolk where I live, sometimes the roosts hold 40+ birds.

Does look like bit of a fire sale, read somewhere that Olympus intend to stop production and development of the f/1.2 Pro lenses
On the Olympus site they are promoting EM1 mk 111, I reckon that's why they are selling the mk ii off. Doesn't bother me if the one I ordered is superseded, it's a great camera for the price.

Good shots.
RSPB have an estimate of about 80 birds overwintering in the Uk , so where are these please.
They are at parkgate on the Wirral . Easily seen from the promenade

Back