Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

On the Olympus site they are promoting EM1 mk 111, I reckon that's why they are selling the mk ii off. Doesn't bother me if the one I ordered is superseded, it's a great camera for the price.

Totally agree, thought about it myself and enjoy your new camera.

one thing thats often thrown at MFT users is cropping a photo so heres a full size image from yesterdays spoonbill series and one that I have cropped in as far as I think it can be pushed , might be a bridge to far but it shows theres nothing to be scared of with low iso values
full size uncropped by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
two for tea by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

after doing these shots yesterday I have come to realise that I and possibly others have been possibly been approaching using long lenses with small apertures the wrong way . I have said from the start that these small sensor cameras with long lenses will suffer from noise and its a learning curve to beat it .

I have always approached the problem from the viewpoint of a ex dslr user and upped the shutter speed for action while curing noise from high iso in PP , yesterday with the spoonbills I had lots of time spare to play around with in camera settings , and obviously a low iso has helped as shown above .

today my mind has been mulling over the optimum setting so today I have been having a play using my 1-mkii and PL100-400 wide open its thrown up a few surprises to say the least i.e at 200iso the photos were showing colour fringing towards the yellow end and a slight blurriness , the optimum iso value in fact turned out to be 400iso giving the sharpest clearest shots with the best colour renditions to ..

obviously this is not a be-all-end all test but its a pointer in the right direction and has surprised me to say the least ,will put my findings into more field tests when next out but with winter approaching its going to help

200iso
2001so by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

400 iso
400iso by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

640 iso
6401so by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

all taken one after the other ,all hand held only thing thats changed is the iso values .. all wide open f6.3 .. all P.P done exactly the same

Last edited:
after doing these shots yesterday I have come to realise that I and possibly others have been possibly been approaching using long lenses with small apertures the wrong way . I have said from the start that these small sensor cameras with long lenses will suffer from noise and its a learning curve to beat it .

I have always approached the problem from the viewpoint of a ex dslr user and upped the shutter speed for action while curing noise from high iso in PP , yesterday with the spoonbills I had lots of time spare to play around with in camera settings , and obviously a low iso has helped as shown above .

today my mind has been mulling over the optimum setting so today I have been having a play using my 1-mkii and PL100-400 wide open its thrown up a few surprises to say the least i.e at 200iso the photos were showing colour fringing towards the yellow end and a slight blurriness , the optimum iso value in fact turned out to be 400iso giving the sharpest clearest shots with the best colour renditions to ..

obviously this is not a be-all-end all test but its a pointer in the right direction and has surprised me to say the least ,will put my findings into more field tests when next out but with winter approaching its going to help

200iso

400 iso

640 iso

all taken one after the other ,all hand held only thing thats changed is the iso values .. all wide open f6.3 .. all P.P done exactly the same
All the exposures look the same so something must have changed if you change the sensitivity, the shutter or aperture must change to give you the same equivalent exposure.

All the exposures look the same so something must have changed if you change the sensitivity, the shutter or aperture must change to give you the same equivalent exposure.
only change is to the iso levels alby .. been out today so will review shots in a bit

200iso

400 iso

640 iso

Well the light must have changed Jeff they should get lighter as you up the ISO - 400 iso is darker 640 is closer to 200 iso it should be lighter by over a stop
Rob.

they have all been p.p in Lightroom CC ,I was looking for what gave the best overall performance rendition ,I can only post my gut feelings without the scientific hoo-ha . had a good day out today putting things into practice and so far pleased with the results

a gaggle of geese all a  gaggle.jpeg

I'm sure I heard it the other way round ie lens on body off. IBIS is not supposed to be as effective at longer focal lengths as lens based stabilisation is. Something to do with the sensor not being able to move enough to compensate for the more exaggerated movements at 400mm.
A bit of a trial maybe needed.

.... You are absolutely correct and there is no need to 'trial' it - Lens IS is always more effective when telephoto lenses are mounted because the IBIS has more limited movements in that scenario. Image Stabilisation is always needed more with telephoto lenses and it's why Canon prioritised IS in their lenses (but have now recently introduced IBIS).

The fact that the new ED 100-400mm doesn't SYNC IS with the body is no big deal at all, it will still offer you plenty of stablisation. Shoot Manual-mode and also up your ISO setting if you are concerned.

Olympus tell me that the v1.3 latest Firmware on the E-M1X means that you don't have to switch off any IS on lens or body when the ED 100-400mm is mounted. Some, if not all, Olympus bodies 'know' which Olympus lens is mounted of course - Another reason to always mount same brand lenses.

Last edited:
Evening all!

Can anyone recommend a simple top loader case (triangle shape type), that will hold an EM 5 mark 3 with the 12-40mm pro lens attached?

Cheers :)

..... Check out the Lowepro range - WEX have very competitive prices for them as Lowepro / Manfrotto / Gitzo are all part of the same group and WEX are a favoured retailer.

I have both Toploader 50AW and 70AW. AW stands for All Weather and they really are!

Last edited:
as much as I detest faceberk it has its uses , while waiting for the wife to pick up some shopping from Aldi today , someone posted is there anywhere in the u.k with a 100-400 in stock , a reply came up quoting one of my local shops ,and I know the owner being a regular customer . quick phone call to her it turned out it was a not required pre-order so im now the proud owner of a new olympus 100-400 and it was on the camera and being tried out within ten minutes pics will hopefully follow later :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

as much as I detest faceberk it has its uses , while waiting for the wife to pick up some shopping from Aldi today , someone posted is there anywhere in the u.k with a 100-400 in stock , a reply came up quoting one of my local shops ,and I know the owner being a regular customer . quick phone call to her it turned out it was a not required pre-order so im now the proud owner of a new olympus 100-400 and it was on the camera and being tried out within ten minutes pics will hopefully follow later :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Looking forward to hearing about it........

here we go , first impressions well the reviewers were not wrong its fast as superman , sharp as okkams razer, and feels right . not really even had time to take it all in but managed a couple of hundred shots on the sea front at high tide . just bolted straight on the camera
the cormorant was going at a fair lick burst of about 20 all in focus ,a few misses down to someone talking to me . the tern is wide open BUT its a edge of the frame shot so far exceeding expectations , the birds on the rocks quite a distance . I have quite a few more to play around with later ,I think there are more good ones to follow .

if your thinking about getting one of these ,go for it ,it far exceeds what I was getting with the PL lens and thats the truth
clear the decks by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

tern again by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

rest and be thankfull by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
here we go , first impressions well the reviewers were not wrong its fast as superman , sharp as okkams razer, and feels right . not really even had time to take it all in but managed a couple of hundred shots on the sea front at high tide . just bolted straight on the camera
the cormorant was going at a fair lick burst of about 20 all in focus ,a few misses down to someone talking to me . the tern is wide open BUT its a edge of the frame shot so far exceeding expectations , the birds on the rocks quite a distance . I have quite a few more to play around with later ,I think there are more good ones to follow .

if your thinking about getting one of these ,go for it ,it far exceeds what I was getting with the PL lens and thats the truth
clear the decks by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

tern again by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

rest and be thankfull by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Pleased to see such great results, must amit not been over impressed with samples from others, will keep my eye on your results

Pleased to see such great results, must amit not been over impressed with samples from others, will keep my eye on your results
this is straight out of the shop , 5 minute drive to the beach ,and straight out of the box mike . got a shot of a tern way way out with a fish in its beak sharp as hell ,simply could not do it with the PL lens and thats the truth . plus all todays shots were wide open f6.3 what will stopping down a touch do ?

this is straight out of the shop , 5 minute drive to the beach ,and straight out of the box mike . got a shot of a tern way way out with a fish in its beak sharp as hell ,simply could not do it with the PL lens and thats the truth . plus all todays shots were wide open f6.3 what will stopping down a touch do ?

Need to just watch results for a few weeks because buying it would require me to go back to the EM1 MK11 to make use of the pro-capture low, ok i would get a nice f1.2 lens free.

Looking great already Jeff, I sold my PL 100-400 last night so now my finger is hovering over the buy button on Amazon UK as they have stock - I can’t see anywhere else with them at the moment, still showing pre order generally.

Looking great already Jeff, I sold my PL 100-400 last night so now my finger is hovering over the buy button on Amazon UK as they have stock - I can’t see anywhere else with them at the moment, still showing pre order generally.
Don’t hesitate well worth it ,I’m stunned and it leaves the PL way way behind .the difference was noticeable as soon as I locked on a b.i.f ,virtually every shot in a burst in focus . I said to the wife there to far out ( based on the PL performance ) but there all sharp on computer it jumps out at you

Is it worth paying the extra £300 for the IV or stay with the III?

Can pick the III up with with a 14-42 and 40-150 for £499.

Not sure if the IV is worth the extra £300 at the moment?

not got a clue nic :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Don’t hesitate well worth it ,I’m stunned and it leaves the PL way way behind .the difference was noticeable as soon as I locked on a b.i.f ,virtually every shot in a burst in focus . I said to the wife there to far out ( based on the PL performance ) but there all sharp on computer it jumps out at you
I didn’t hesitate for very long, ordered and due to arrive on Thursday and I can’t wait! I am right that it comes with a lens hood? I’m sure I read that it did but just checking.

My Olympus 100-400mm is expected to arrive Monday plus an Olympus PRF-ZD72 filter which will live on it. Hoya filters are very good but I decided to buy the Olympus one for this lens to maximise its performance.

Thanks for the Amazon tip Jeff @the black fox - I bought the last one of the current batch.

My Olympus 100-400mm is expected to arrive Monday plus an Olympus PRF-ZD72 filter which will live on it. Hoya filters are very good but I decided to buy the Olympus one for this lens to maximise its performance.

Thanks for the Amazon tip Jeff @the black fox - I bought the last one of the current batch.

I also usually use Hoya too, but splashed out on the Oly one for my 300.

I wish you’d all stop posting about the 100- 400 [emoji23]

I was told by an Olympus Ambasador that the 300 f4 and the 40-150 2.8 were not as sharp when a filter was fitted.

Then they should make better filters :exit:

I didn’t hesitate for very long, ordered and due to arrive on Thursday and I can’t wait! I am right that it comes with a lens hood? I’m sure I read that it did but just checking.
Yep it does

I was told by an Olympus Ambasador that the 300 f4 and the 40-150 2.8 were not as sharp when a filter was fitted.

I think it will always be better quality without one, but I often use my 300mm at the beach, so I personally prefer to use one. I don’t use filters on all of my lenses.

I think it will always be better quality without one, but I often use my 300mm at the beach, so I personally prefer to use one. I don’t use filters on all of my lenses.

.... Whether a lens offers better quality images without a filter or not is a bit of a perennial debate. By filtering out certain aspects of light filters can be claimed to be an advantage.

For all outdoors photography, as opposed to studio photography, it makes sense to me to mount a filter but to always use the best quality filters available such as Hoya or, in this case, Olympus. The Olympus PRF-ZD72 has been very specifically designed for their lenses.

Physical protection of the front glass element of a lens is surely a no-brainer.

Mounting a cheap poor quality filter would most likely impair image quality.

.... Who was the ambassador please?

I always use high quality protective filters and shoot on both those lenses. If you examine my E-M1X Album on Flickr do you think I have a sharpness issue? :

Furthermore, most of my images are shot with either MC-14 or MC-20 teleconverters mounted (and they don't adversely effect image sharpness either!).

Is it worth paying the extra £300 for the IV or stay with the III?

Can pick the III up with with a 14-42 and 40-150 for £499.

Not sure if the IV is worth the extra £300 at the moment?

Which camera are you talking about? I'm guessing from the mark numbers and price the OM-D E-M10?

Assuming the Jessops deal on the Mk III is what you're looking at for £499 be aware that the 14-42mm is the II R version not the much smaller EZ zoom.
The II R is a decent lens but you have to manually extend it to shoot, it's manual zoom and it's a bit bigger
The EZ is a motorised zoom and it collapses to a much smaller size automatically.
I have both and prefer the EZ for portability. I don't think there's much to choose in terms of image quality.

For me the E-M10 Mk II remains the best value and you can pick up a new or used version for less money.
The Mk III added 4K video but removed some bracketing and HDR features in P/A/S/M modes, simplified and some think dumbed down the interface and removed some wireless flash compatibility in the name of ease of use.
The Mk IIIS (Argos only in the UK) added sweep panorama mode.
The IV adds sweep panorama, USB charging, the screen can flip down for selfies and a few other bits and bobs on continuous autofocus and eye tracking but nothing I fancied for the money. The main difference is the newer 20MP sensor.

I have the Mk II and haven't been tempted by either the III or IV.

An excellent used Mk II is just over £200
An excellent 14-42mm EZ lens is around £115 used
OR a good ED 14-42mm is £80
An excellent 40-150 R is £105

So the equivalent used Mk II kit would save you about £100 or a bit less if you wanted the EZ lens.

.... Whether a lens offers better quality images without a filter or not is a bit of a perennial debate. By filtering out certain aspects of light filters can be claimed to be an advantage.

For all outdoors photography, as opposed to studio photography, it makes sense to me to mount a filter but to always use the best quality filters available such as Hoya or, in this case, Olympus. The Olympus PRF-ZD72 has been very specifically designed for their lenses.

Physical protection of the front glass element of a lens is surely a no-brainer.

Mounting a cheap poor quality filter would most likely impair image quality.
Some of my best shots have been shot through double glazing :D says it all really :exit:

Back