Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Some of my best shots have been shot through double glazing :D says it all really :exit:

.... :D When you say your "best shots" I doubt if you mean regarding image quality but rather that they are your best captures of very evocative subjects such that the viewers primary attention is grabbed by the subject and the image quality is ignored.

Interview with JIP manager: We will mantain the Olympus brand and focus on video and high end business

https://www.43rumors.com/interview-...mWVQ5Noe2zoFdpgr-1vMTnZNoMKD6fPPOz6zG0a9QpWNw

.... Hmm, I didn't read anything new in that 'interview' which wasn't really an interview as presented in the link. It was more of a statement of intention from JIP but keeping their powder dry and their cards close to their chest which is fairly standard large international corporation behaviour.

.... Hmm, I didn't read anything new in that 'interview' which wasn't really an interview as presented in the link. It was more of a statement of intention from JIP but keeping their powder dry and their cards close to their chest which is fairly standard large international corporation behaviour.
At our respective ages robin I think it’s fair to say our current equipment will outlive us both . So I’m not in the least bit worried

At our respective ages robin I think it’s fair to say our current equipment will outlive us both . So I’m not in the least bit worried
I'm sure that even my manual lenses that I still have from the 70s will outlive me so I'm sure my grandson could make use of my "new" equipment well into his later years. Wether he will want to is another thing......

here we go a starter for today two shots of a spoonbill in flight from a 42 shot burst with every one in focus , just used C.AF and single small point A/F and it kept locked on simply and purely these would have been a blob at that range with the PL lens ( long way out on the marsh) I know you just have to take my word for it but i'm trying to report back factually as I find it . any missed focus problems so far have been user error on my part .
the green green grass by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

counting sheep by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
here we go a starter for today two shots of a spoonbill in flight from a 42 shot burst with every one in focus , just used C.AF and single small point A/F and it kept locked on simply and purely these would have been a blob at that range with the PL lens ( long way out on the marsh) I know you just have to take my word for it but i'm trying to report back factually as I find it . any missed focus problems so far have been user error on my part .
the green green grass by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

counting sheep by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

.... I see you shot both those at 400mm (800mm equiv) at F/8 which illustrates how well the lens performs even when one factors in how practiced and good you are at capturing birds in flight. The point being that you are showing the lens' potential and it's very far from being shabby!

.... Oh, until I read this I was enjoying being under the illusion that I was immortal :D (and also immoral when given half the chance!)

next test how close can you go . sat on a picnic bench dragonfly at other end 5 to 6 foot estimate , just need to watch d.o.f as shown .might try focus stacking if the chance arises again
how close can you go by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Got one question for anyone that’s used the pro lens range so far , I’m using this lens exactly how I used the
PL but I’m getting slightly different colour balance/ metering results. Can’t quiet put my finger on it but it’s different maybe leaning towards to blue ?.
So the question is should I try spot metering linked to focus points Or adjust WB manually I use it in auto WB .just a niggle sure I will sort it ,really weird though

Got one question for anyone that’s used the pro lens range so far , I’m using this lens exactly how I used the
PL but I’m getting slightly different colour balance/ metering results. Can’t quiet put my finger on it but it’s different maybe leaning towards to blue ?.
So the question is should I try spot metering linked to focus points Or adjust WB manually I use it in auto WB .just a niggle sure I will sort it ,really weird though

Most of the time i use spot metering tied to the focus point with any gear that will let me

next test how close can you go . sat on a picnic bench dragonfly at other end 5 to 6 foot estimate , just need to watch d.o.f as shown .might try focus stacking if the chance arises again
how close can you go by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

.... At this time of year Common Darter Dragonflies like to perch on warm materials such as wood and will remain perched for a while and also keep returning to the same perch. So they are a good subject to try handheld focus stacking.

.... I use Evaluative Metering and Automatic WB and then make any adjustments to colour temperature when post-processing (in Capture One).

All my lenses are Olympus Pro and I would not expect there to be any colour variation with an Olympus non Pro lens. But isn't colour down to the body rather than the lens anyway?

.... I use Evaluative Metering and Automatic WB and then make any adjustments to colour temperature when post-processing (in Capture One).

All my lenses are Olympus Pro and I would not expect there to be any colour variation with an Olympus non Pro lens. But isn't colour down to the body rather than the lens anyway?
The differences I’m noticing robin are probably down to the fact I’m coming from the PL lens ,gut feeling says that tended towards the warmer end of the spectrum

Morning all,

I have a Q regarding my Em5 Mk3 & custom modes. I understand that the camera has one C mode on the top dial but as I understand it once in C mode I can have up to three sets of custom settings set up... What I want to know is am I right I’m saying that I could set up say 2 of the slots one for my most used/starter macro settings (AP mode/speed/af ect.) and then another slot for same kind of settings but the once I would use for birds?

If this is how it works, would it then work that if I’m in one of the custom modes those settings would automatically be set but then if I changed something while in that mode would that change save or would it revert back to the original setup once I come out and go back into that particular custom setup?

Cheers everyone :)

Morning all,

I have a Q regarding my Em5 Mk3 & custom modes. I understand that the camera has one C mode on the top dial but as I understand it once in C mode I can have up to three sets of custom settings set up... What I want to know is am I right I’m saying that I could set up say 2 of the slots one for my most used/starter macro settings (AP mode/speed/af ect.) and then another slot for same kind of settings but the once I would use for birds?

If this is how it works, would it then work that if I’m in one of the custom modes those settings would automatically be set but then if I changed something while in that mode would that change save or would it revert back to the original setup once I come out and go back into that particular custom setup?

my advise would be first learn to do it manually so it becomes second nature rather than confusing yourself and camera . your master control panel controls all of your adjustable used settings and any other i.e macro is done by lens sliders anyway

my advise would be first learn to do it manually so it becomes second nature rather than confusing yourself and camera . your master control panel controls all of your adjustable used settings and any other i.e macro is done by lens sliders anyway

Thanks Jeff, I hadn’t thought of it like that so yeah thank you I’ll definitely have a look at this :)

Morning all,

Ime using Panasonic now but from my Olympus days i think you have it nailed, i have BIF settings in custom mode, if i change anything while using it i can revert back just by coming out of that mode and going back.

Ime using Panasonic now but from my Olympus days i think you have it nailed, i have BIF settings in custom mode, if i change anything while using it i can revert back just by coming out of that mode and going back.
Excellent! thanks Mike :)

another shot of yesterdays spoonbill in flight , slightly warmed up in p.p to reduce the blue cast , its around a 50% crop so you can judge for yourself how good the lens is by looking at the detail in the upper wing feathers . sat here waiting for the 1.4 tc to turn up now . and OH SHIITE the wife is normally out on a thurs morning but home today .. so if i'm not online later she's murdered me :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

flying spoons by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

and OH SHIITE the wife is normally out on a thurs morning but home today .. so if i'm not online later she's murdered me :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Could be a cheap Olympus 100-400 for sale later today!!! good to see you exploiting the potential of the lens Jeff

another shot of yesterdays spoonbill in flight , slightly warmed up in p.p to reduce the blue cast , its around a 50% crop so you can judge for yourself how good the lens is by looking at the detail in the upper wing feathers . sat here waiting for the 1.4 tc to turn up now . and OH SHIITE the wife is normally out on a thurs morning but home today .. so if i'm not online later she's murdered me :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

flying spoons by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Glad you got hold of the 1.4 tc Jeff, but yeah just hope you get the parcel without being caught! So you can actually get to use it

the daughter needed us for a job ,so had to admit I had a parcel coming :runaway::runaway::runaway: what you bought now ?? still alive all bits and bobs intact , t.c be here this afternoon apparently:exit:

for anyone else thats contemplating getting a mc-14 teleconverter ,mine just arrived via DPD bought on e.bay yesterday from u.k digital on there B.N.I.B for £208 delivered next day . highly recommended

Some fun with the Bugs!

All taken with EM-5 Mk3, 60mm Macro & STF-8 Twin Flash.

1/60th sec @ F5.6-F8, ISO 200, various flash power & positioning of the twin heads
1f642.png
(All shot RAW & lightly processed in Lr)

P9100791 by Joe Booth, on Flickr

P9100786 by Joe Booth, on Flickr

P9100782 by Joe Booth, on Flickr

P9100780 by Joe Booth, on Flickr

one from yesterday with the t.c fitted of my ever present test post taken from my front garden . weather deep overcast . hand held at a incredible 560mm x 2 = to 1120mm FF . bit more difficult to hold on target point at that range so looks like I will find a use for my tripod and gimbal this winter .
but no loss at all in definition or sharpness in fact I would say at least as good if not better than the PL lens on its own
test post 2 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

one from yesterday with the t.c fitted of my ever present test post taken from my front garden . weather deep overcast . hand held at a incredible 560mm x 2 = to 1120mm FF . bit more difficult to hold on target point at that range so looks like I will find a use for my tripod and gimbal this winter .
but no loss at all in definition or sharpness in fact I would say at least as good if not better than the PL lens on its own
Looks brilliant Jeff. Mine arrived yesterday but too late to do much with it so I’ll be off to Titchwell this weekend to give a good work out. I’m going to try it with both extenders (the 2x will need exceptional light I would think) but David Tipling and some others have said that it’s useable so why not try!

Impressive.

As a matter of course i test every camera and lens combo on this post and notices over the years .this has got to be probably the best results ever even more so hand held .
My main reason for getting the lens and t.c combo is for the shorties on the marshes in the winter where poor light is the deciding factor hopefully the combination of lens/tc and camera will give better results this year ,I can now exceed the reach of a crop sensor plus sigma 150-600

Looks brilliant Jeff. Mine arrived yesterday but too late to do much with it so I’ll be off to Titchwell this weekend to give a good work out. I’m going to try it with both extenders (the 2x will need exceptional light I would think) but David Tipling and some others have said that it’s useable so why not try!
Be interesting to see the results from the 2X Chris .from a normal user rather than the pros . I haven’t yet got one on my wanted list but who knows ,pretty sure robin will have a go to

I,ll try and do it on google earth ,yep just done it 60 mtrs exactly ,never thought of That before

Last edited:
I,ll try and do it on google earth ,yep just done it 60 mtrs exactly ,never thought of That before

Jeff when you get the chance would you do a pro-capture low test, ime interested to know how well the focusing will work on moving subjects @ f6.3 in this mode, as this would be my main reason for changing.

thanks

Jeff when you get the chance would you do a pro-capture low test, ime interested to know how well the focusing will work on moving subjects @ f6.3 in this mode, as this would be my main reason for changing.

thanks
As soon as circumstances allow mike , we are still plagued with thousands of staycation visitors around here making it hard to find a quite spot to practise in .

Back