Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Last edited:
here we go 100-400 + 1.4 tc kestrel in flight this morning hand held at equiv to 1120mm got a couple of hundred more to go with it . . this lens works a treat .and I can truthfully say it leaves the PL version standing ,phew made the right choice
dont look back by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

above and below by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

bye bye by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Brilliant shots Jeff! & handheld with the 1.4! AMAZING and so sharp... I just hope I can get some decent shots next week with both the lens & 1.4TC aha...

Some shot from my macro shoot in the garden today. Im really enjoying the versatility, ease & creativeness of the Oly STF-8 Twin Flash unit, yet still being able to keep things looking natural :)

(Also testing to see if this new Amazon share feature works as good as using Flickr, would appreciate your feedback on this one, cheers)

Some shot from my macro shoot in the garden today. Im really enjoying the versatility, ease & creativeness of the Oly STF-8 Twin Flash unit, yet still being able to keep things looking natural :)

(Also testing to see if this new Amazon share feature works as good as using Flickr, would appreciate your feedback on this one, cheers)
nope not really Joe ,stick to flickr ,even if it means going pro

Great results jeff
the only thing I cant seem to get quiet right at the moment is the level of exp compensation against the sky these were 3/4 of a stop up which I think is to far .thats the next thing to sort out . but I simply cant believe how sharp the lens and t.c combo is hand held at that focal length . got another shot to post later you could cut yourself on

nope not really Joe ,stick to flickr ,even if it means going pro
Okie dokie, thought I’d try it aha but the only other thing I didn’t realise too is that amazon didn’t show and exif data about each image... So yeah I’ll stick with Flickr or look at that other direct insert option you looked at on the other post :)

Cheers for checking for me though mate.

here we go 100-400 + 1.4 tc kestrel in flight this morning hand held at equiv to 1120mm got a couple of hundred more to go with it . . this lens works a treat .and I can truthfully say it leaves the PL version standing ,phew made the right choice

Fantastic Jeff, these are an excellent set of photos. I didn’t get out with mine today, close friend had a heart attack last night and h was staying next door minding the neighbours house so I’m housebound this weekend now.

great white egret in flight at a great distance , the lens and t.c has still retained a decent bit of detail even at that distance again hand held at over 500mm
white flite by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

An inflight shot notably captured at 840mm (equivalent) and handheld on the Olympus 300mm Pro + MC-14 (mounted on M1X).

Some photographers are very critical of m4/3 bokeh and this was shot at F/9 to get some DoF on the dragonfly but I really like the background 'wallpaper' in this one.

[An inflight shot captured at mega-mm handheld on Olympus 100-400mm + MC-14 to be posted later today!]

MIGRANT HAWKER IN FLIGHT by Robin Procter, on Flickr

An inflight shot notably captured at 840mm (equivalent) and handheld on the Olympus 300mm Pro + MC-14 (mounted on M1X).

Some photographers are very critical of m4/3 bokeh and this was shot at F/9 to get some DoF on the dragonfly but I really like the background 'wallpaper' in this one.

[An inflight shot captured at mega-mm handheld on Olympus 100-400mm + MC-14 to be posted later today!]

Superb shot, you caught it flying right at the lens too!

Last edited:

Your 100-400 turned up early robin ?

Your 100-400 turned up early robin ?

.... Yes, Saturday morning via Royal Mail instead of the quoted Monday, so I fitted my new Olympus filter as soon as unboxed and immediately removed the lens cap and then mounted my MC-14 and went out for about 3 hours to a guaranteed dragonfly location.

I'm writing a fairly full report (non technical/scientific) to post including pros and cons. Plus pics of course. Hopefully posted later today but am watching full Tdf and F1 on telly.

Am really pleased to hear you are very very far from being disappointed Jeff - You deserve the 100-400 love!

Can’t find any cons yet robin ,but I don’t have access to the 300 mm f4 or 2x tc to compare it to . From my p.o.v it exceeds the PL len# and then some

Last edited:
My very first dragonfly inflight shot on the ED 100-400mm + MC-14 + M1X, handheld 1/320s !! Shot at 642mm equivalent.

This was captured about half-an-hour earlier than the one in my post #21,263.

Last edited:
My very first dragonfly inflight shot on the ED 100-400mm + MC-14 + M1X, handheld 1/320s !! Shot at 890mm equivalent.

This was captured about half-an-hour earlier than the one in my post #21,263.

Robin

Looking at the Exit on Flickr it says 321mm that should be AFAIK the lens & 1.4x TC..... thus FF equivalent is 642mm, not the 890mm you mention ;) NB as in all matters I stand to be corrected but that is my understanding i.e. exif shows FL of lens and lens & TC where appropriate, you then x2 for FF equivalent!

PS cracking DiF photography ~ as you and Jeff @the black fox have shown the 100-400mm is a nice lens in the Olympus arsenal :)

Last edited:
Robin

Looking at the Exit on Flickr it says 321mm that should be AFAIK the lens & 1.4x TC..... thus FF equivalent is 642mm, not the 890mm you mention ;) NB as in all matters I stand to be corrected but that is my understanding i.e. exif shows FL of lens and lens & TC where appropriate, you then x2 for FF equivalent!

PS cracking DiF photography ~ as you and Jeff @the black fox have shown the 100-400mm is a nice lens in the Olympus arsenal :)

.... Ooops! Thanks for that - I have now corrected both my posts. Cheers!

Last edited:
Right today with the 1.4 tc fitted took over 200 shots in bright sunlight ,result total crap might have 1 or 2 useable shots out of it . The only thing I can put it down to is using auto iso i.e on b.i.f i was getting 250-350 iso with a shutter speed of 1/800 th sec . Not fast enough for 560mm x 2 . I got far better shots of the same subjects the other day with the bare lens ..lesson learned it won’t happen again . Nothing else has changed

Right today with the 1.4 tc fitted took over 200 shots in bright sunlight ,result total crap might have 1 or 2 useable shots out of it . The only thing I can put it down to is using auto iso i.e on b.i.f i was getting 250-350 iso with a shutter speed of 1/800 th sec . Not fast enough for 560mm x 2 . I got far better shots of the same subjects the other day with the bare lens ..lesson learned it won’t happen again . Nothing else has changed

.... :eek: So far I have only shot with the 1.4x mounted, also in bright sunlight but manually selected ISO - I gave up Auto ISO a while ago as it kept selecting higher values than I wanted and it's so easy to change the ISO on the fly while shooting anyway (on the M1X).

You have seen some of my results on Flickr and I think you'll agree that there are no problems.

I shoot Manual-mode, not Aperture or Shutter Priority modes.

SOUTHERN HAWKER by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
.... :eek: So far I have only shot with the 1.4x mounted, also in bright sunlight but manually selected ISO - I gave up Auto ISO a while ago as it kept selecting higher values than I wanted and it's so easy to change the ISO on the fly while shooting anyway (on the M1X).

You have seen some of my results on Flickr and I think you'll agree that there are no problems.

I shoot Manual-mode, not Aperture or Shutter Priority modes.

SOUTHERN HAWKER by Robin Procter, on Flickr
That is fantastic Robin, even more so when viewed on flickr. .

A couple of Robins, one a juvie

Juvie Robin by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Robin by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

A pair of chaffinches, I think?

Pair of chaffinches by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

and a pair of Oystercatchers, I'm guessing the one without the orange eye ring is a juvie.

Pair of Oystercatchers ' by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

and finally a Grey Wagtail

Grey wagtail by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Sorry for the pic heavy post, haven't seen many birds for the last few weeks but currently on my hols in Scotland and there's loads!

Last edited:
I think today’s problems were caused by a few things ,over confidence on my part, using auto I.s.o , and to low a minimum shutter speed setting .

I use AV mode when shooting b.i.f as you often need to adjust exp comp on the fly especially at today’s location one minute against the welsh mountains next up in a blue sky . You can’t adjust exp comp in manual mode without utilising one of the control dials .

Alterations to camera settings now made .its a learning curve and if you don’t share the bad along with the good no ones ever going to learn

and a pair of Oystercatchers, I'm guessing the one without the orange eye ring is a juvie.

Sorry for the pic heavy post, haven't seen many birds for the last few weeks but currently on my hols in Scotland and there's loads!

.... I especially love this one of the Oystercatchers and everything about it.

A couple of Robins, one a juvie

Juvie Robin by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Robin by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

A pair of chaffinches, I think?

Pair of chaffinches by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

and finally a Grey Wagtail

Grey wagtail by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

" Excellent" set of images Steve, liking them all with #1 & #5 being my fav's.

George.

couple from yesterday , a comedy of errors day . white birds against a backlit blue sky . wrong shutter speed ,nothing wrong with camera or lens just user error on my part probably all I can retrieve from over 200 shots . could kick myself .. hopefully sorted out settings now
a difficult subject by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

spoons by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Back