Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Sorry, made a bit of a mess of that.
I was just wondering whether you switch off the camera during quieter times to conserve battery. I alsohave wondered whether a continuous period of shooting, say a couple of hours , is no more draining on the battery than wandering around for a few hours, taking less shots, but being switched on all the time, as I think that I have found.

you may well be right I do sometimes switch off if its quite but today was non stop action so no

I don't worry about battery life. I usually carry a spare battery but it is rare for me to change it. In fact lately I haven't even checked the battery status before I've headed out. I do set my camera so that it goes to sleep after a few minutes.

My batteries for my Canon 5D4 are old now and those are much more likely to run out.

You're getting some great results there @the black fox

Last edited:
Last edited:
If you can find someone that will let you bolt it on for a few test shots , you’ll have the PL up for sale that night

An example of shooting the Olympus ED 100-400mm in early morning shady light :

Early this morning in my wildlife garden, Greenfinch feeding on sunflower head.

M1X + 100-400mm + MC-14 @560mm (1120mm equivalent), 1/80s, F/9, ISO 640.

GREENFINCH by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Slghtly different settings of 1/100s, F/8.9, @464mm (928mm equivalent) :

GREENFINCH JUVENILE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good set robin . They should make us Olympus wildlife ambassadors

.... Well I did get offered a 10% discount by Olympus but they still haven't got stock available and I wanted the lens for shooting surfers this Friday very latest (today). So I bought one from Amazon (thanks to you) and received it last Saturday which has given me a chance to get to know the lens ready for tomorrow in Cornwall.

Demand for this lens has been crazy according to all reports. We both know it's deffo a good'un! It's also what all Olympus wildlife shooters have needed and was missing in their range.

The Olympus ED 150-400mm+1.25 full-blooded Pro will be a killer but methinks just a bit too heavy and bulky for comfort on walkabout, at least if you want other lenses with you as well. That's ignoring the price of course - It won't be cheap but it may be good value, we simply don't know yet. But I don't see myself swopping my 100-400mm 'Semi-Pro' for the 150-400mm Pro.

You're both certainly doing a good job of that in this thread!

.... Should Jeff and I apologise to all the PL 100-400mm users here because of our unfettered enthusiasm for the Oly version!? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Joking apart, all we can do is post honest reports to share how we each individually are finding the lens. It just happens to be still ticking lots of boxes.

Having said that, I'm not confident how high the hit rate will be with the MC-20 mounted unless on a tripod. I might try it tomorrow if the opportunity presents itself and I can open up my body without risk.

Last edited:
.... Should Jeff and I apologise to all the PL 100-400mm users here because of our unfettered enthusiasm for the Oly version!? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I think you both should be ashamed of yourselves TBH :ROFLMAO: I am still on the fence as to getting rid of my panny 100-400 but after seeing your efforts I must say I am warming to a change.

I think you both should be ashamed of yourselves TBH :ROFLMAO: I am still on the fence as to getting rid of my panny 100-400 but after seeing your efforts I must say I am warming to a change.

No doubt as the second-hand market for the PL 100-400mm has collapsed, because of the arrival of the Olympus version, it will make a good doorstop ;)

must have been sunspot day today .. went out early to get a good place on the marsh car park due to todays high tide ,got there set up chatting to friends I have not seen since march... took a couple of shots of egrets . then went to take some of lapwings and ???? summats wrong could only get single shot a/f tried to reset it nope c.af and burst modes greyed out . took ones off cleaned contacts nope , tried another lens exactly the same .. packed up and drove home in a temper envisaging camera going on its hols to Portugal

anyway got home and looked up full camera reset , which I did then input all my settings .. all back to normal now been out checked it took a couple of hundred shots no probs ..must have been a computer glitch .. but pleased it wasn't terminal .. still got 4 years 6 months warranty left so no worries there

after my bad start today ,just as I was leaving for home after checking camera functions , this obliging wheatear popped up beside me . nearly full frame at 1120mm
the silver lining by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

back down to my usual local spot this morning for the first winter high spring tide of 10mtrs . totally flooded the marsh and enabled this juvenile herring gull to grab this mole for lunch 2 shots from a 36 shot in focus burst .love this lens
lunch is served by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

holy moley by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

must have been sunspot day today .. went out early to get a good place on the marsh car park due to todays high tide ,got there set up chatting to friends I have not seen since march... took a couple of shots of egrets . then went to take some of lapwings and ???? summats wrong could only get single shot a/f tried to reset it nope c.af and burst modes greyed out . took ones off cleaned contacts nope , tried another lens exactly the same .. packed up and drove home in a temper envisaging camera going on its hols to Portugal

anyway got home and looked up full camera reset , which I did then input all my settings .. all back to normal now been out checked it took a couple of hundred shots no probs ..must have been a computer glitch .. but pleased it wasn't terminal .. still got 4 years 6 months warranty left so no worries there
Which camera was this with? Sounds strange, almost as if it had gone into Auto mode.

I've just bought myself an E-M1 MKii with the 12 -100 F4 Pro. I'm now waiting for my free f1.2 lens to arrive, which I intend to trade in against a 100 - 400. My problem is which 100 - 400 to get; from the reviews both the F4 - 6.3 Pan/Lieca and the Oly F5 - 6.3 seem to be comparible in image quality. Should I get the smaller lighter Pan/Leica with 2/3 more stop, or should I get the bigger heavier Oly which gives me the option of adding an MC 14 in the future? If anyone has experience of both I would be grateful for any advice.

I've just bought myself an E-M1 MKii with the 12 -100 F4 Pro. I'm now waiting for my free f1.2 lens to arrive, which I intend to trade in against a 100 - 400. My problem is which 100 - 400 to get; from the reviews both the F4 - 6.3 Pan/Lieca and the Oly F5 - 6.3 seem to be comparible in image quality. Should I get the smaller lighter Pan/Leica with 2/3 more stop, or should I get the bigger heavier Oly which gives me the option of adding an MC 14 in the future? If anyone has experience of both I would be grateful for any advice.
@the black fox had the Panny and now has the Oly, as can be seen from his postings he doesn't regret changing. I'm sure he'll be along soon

Yep don’t even think about it ,although in my full year using the PL lens I got some good shots no one sees how many failures that entails along the way . I have only had the Olympus version 10 days but even in the first hour of use I could tell it was something magical , the images snap into and lock onto focus faster and surer , my keeper rate has gone through the roof your not even seeing what sharp shots I have left to process it numbers in the hundreds just from the last few days .
Shots seem to have a 3D like effect probably due to the fact that you can shoot the oly wide open whereas the PL needs F8 .. and that’s without taking using the t.c’s into account or pro.cap low ,or focus stacking or indeed the lower price of the oly .
To sum up what bloody use is 2/3rds of a stop if you cant use it

Btw those shots of the gull with rat (above) are taken at 143mtrs distance . Measured on google earth as I had the castle wall as a waypoint
Milords I rest my case

Last edited:
@the black fox Well, that seems a pretty positive endorsement of the Oly. I was erring towards the Panny but I think you may well have convinced me otherwise. Thanks for the advice.

.... I have only ever used Olympus lenses but read my 'review' post #21,284 (link below) - I think it's a no-brainer, especially as Olympus set out to trump the PL 100-400mm (which doesn't even take teleconverters!). Life's not a rehearsal, if you love your photography, just do it!

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...-2-owners-thread.395080/page-533#post-8788031

My Flickr Album of Olympus 100-400mm images :

Last edited:
I only have one criticism of my new Olympus 100-400mm and that is I wish that the zoom ring would hurry up and bed in its weather sealing so it moves a little more freely like my ED 40-150mm Pro does.

I'm thinking of having it in my lap while I watch TV and to keep twisting the zoom!

I did a fast road trip to Cornwall yesterday for a dawn-til-dusk day with surfer friends. Nothing not to like about the optical performance of this lens.

ADRENALIN RUSH!! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Data on Flickr.

Last edited:
@the black fox Well, that seems a pretty positive endorsement of the Oly. I was erring towards the Panny but I think you may well have convinced me otherwise. Thanks for the advice.
I have had both as well and have to agree that the Oly is far superior in focussing and usability wide open, it’s a country mile ahead Imo. I haven’t had a chance to use it that much yet, or prove this with photos on here but from the outset it was obvious that Olympus have made a real gem of a lens so I would certainly recommend it.

I only have one criticism of my new Olympus 100-400mm and that is I wish that the zoom ring would hurry up and bed in its weather sealing so it moves a little more freely like my ED 40-150mm Pro does.

I'm thinking of having it in my lap while I watch TV and to keep twisting the zoom!

I did a fast road trip to Cornwall yesterday for a dawn-til-dusk surfer friends day. Nothing not to like about the optical performance of this lens.

Data on Flickr.
That’s stunning a Robin, both the composition and quality of the shot.

Did you try out the 2x tc robin ?

I did a fast road trip to Cornwall yesterday for a dawn-til-dusk day with surfer friends. Nothing not to like about the optical performance of this lens.

Data on Flickr.

That is an excellent shot. (y)

Yep don’t even think about it ,although in my full year using the PL lens I got some good shots no one sees how many failures that entails along the way . I have only had the Olympus version 10 days but even in the first hour of use I could tell it was something magical , the images snap into and lock onto focus faster and surer , my keeper rate has gone through the roof your not even seeing what sharp shots I have left to process it numbers in the hundreds just from the last few days .
Shots seem to have a 3D like effect probably due to the fact that you can shoot the oly wide open whereas the PL needs F8 .. and that’s without taking using the t.c’s into account or pro.cap low ,or focus stacking or indeed the lower price of the oly .
To sum up what bloody use is 2/3rds of a stop if you cant use it

Btw those shots of the gull with rat (above) are taken at 143mtrs distance . Measured on google earth as I had the castle wall as a waypoint
Milords I rest my case

Very concise and pithy comments, backed up by your shots.(y)
I was interested to see the last comment re the distance to the subject, something that I have often wondered about when seeing shots.

Did you try out the 2x tc robin ?

.... Not yet. I actually forgot! I had it easily to hand in my pocket but got too busy on the 1.4x combo. I got down to the beach soon after first light and there were loads of surfers as the conditions were so good.

This is the original full width of captured image and only cropped top and bottom for composition. Shot on tripod - I do the majority of my surfer shots on tripod just to maintain a position and level horizons :

GIVING IT SOME AIR!! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Back