Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Hi Andrew
I too had to much gear EMIX tcs and pro lenses and a Sony system but you can't use it all and my main thing was AF and the a9MKII started to be the camera of choice all the time it was hard to let the Olympus go but sold it all to MPB .
My thinking was by the time I want a lightweight kit again Olympus may have a new sensor new lenses even better AF and I would want that over the Olympus I had now
Keeping it just loses money

so off it went and a Sony a7r4 so I got around £8500 to spend on other things and no regrets Olympus have being a bit slow lately no bird eye AF and No 150/400 hopefully they will keep going .

Rob.

That's my thoughts as well Rob - "keeping it just loses money" - especially when I'm not really using it.

In a bit of a dilemma, and looking for wisdom from the group.

Due to Covid, my photography has taken a real bashing this year and I've hardly done anything since March, and the ways things are going, doesn't look like that will change much before spring next year. As such my general mojo and interest in photography and trailed off considerably. Looking at my large and expensive photography kit, I've been thinking.

I've therefore been rationalising my far too large list of equipment which is split between Micro Four Thirds and Nikon Mirrorless FF (the Z's). I have 2 bodies the EM1X and the EM1 MK III and a number of the lenses, many of which are duplicated (in equivalence terms at least) with my Nikon kit. So I've been thinking of (shock horror) ditching my Micro Four Thirds kit altogether (both bodies and all lenses), and just run the Nikon kit. Now I know this is an Olympus thread therefore the bias will be towards Olympus, and by the way this has nothing to do with Olympus selling the camera business, as I believe the system is viable for years to come.

I've contacted MPB, and they have given me a fair quote of around £7k for the lot. Obviously massively less than what I paid for them but that's always the case with camera gear. Now it's not like I need the money right now, but £7k is £7k, and I guess the system will only further depreciate over the coming months and years (as you would expect them to).

Trouble is, whilst my Nikon bodies blow the Olympus's away for definitive image quality (noise, DR, DOF etc), there's something about the Olympus system that's just stopping me from getting rid. I think I'm being emotional as I've been shooting with Olympus since the original EM5 all those years ago, and have been though many bodies over the years. Also, some of the things that make Olympus unique (to my mind at least), like the stunning IBIS, the weather sealing and general ruggedness, the special features unique to Olympus (live time, live bulb, Live Composite, Hand Held High Res etc), make me feel like I'd miss them when they are gone. Am i being just too emotional and should just do it, or should I just get rid of one body (probably the Em1X) and some of the lenses keeping just the 12-100 F4 IS, 1.4x Tele and the 300mm F4 Pro as a much smaller system ?

Thoughts please (I know it's ultimately my decision, but would appreciate others thought processes or something I haven't considered).
if it was me I would sell some of it and keep the most used /useable . from both brands .. you simply cannot use all of it at the same time . these days my kit consists of a body and the 100-400 lens ,with a bag that contains a i.4 tc ,face masks ,hand gel ,gloves and cleaning cloths .. this fits 99.9 % of my needs and I I can wander freely without any worries .. gone are the days of lugging a bag full of gear and tripods etc . travelling light it frees the mind

Due to Covid, my photography has taken a real bashing this year and I've hardly done anything since March, and the ways things are going, doesn't look like that will change much before spring next year. As such my general mojo and interest in photography and trailed off considerably. Looking at my large and expensive photography kit, I've been thinking.

I've therefore been rationalising my far too large list of equipment which is split between Micro Four Thirds and Nikon Mirrorless FF (the Z's). I have 2 bodies the EM1X and the EM1 MK III and a number of the lenses, many of which are duplicated (in equivalence terms at least) with my Nikon kit. So I've been thinking of (shock horror) ditching my Micro Four Thirds kit altogether (both bodies and all lenses), and just run the Nikon kit. Now I know this is an Olympus thread therefore the bias will be towards Olympus, and by the way this has nothing to do with Olympus selling the camera business, as I believe the system is viable for years to come.

I've contacted MPB, and they have given me a fair quote of around £7k for the lot. Obviously massively less than what I paid for them but that's always the case with camera gear. Now it's not like I need the money right now, but £7k is £7k, and I guess the system will only further depreciate over the coming months and years (as you would expect them to).

Trouble is, whilst my Nikon bodies blow the Olympus's away for definitive image quality (noise, DR, DOF etc), there's something about the Olympus system that's just stopping me from getting rid. I think I'm being emotional as I've been shooting with Olympus since the original EM5 all those years ago, and have been though many bodies over the years. Also, some of the things that make Olympus unique (to my mind at least), like the stunning IBIS, the weather sealing and general ruggedness, the special features unique to Olympus (live time, live bulb, Live Composite, Hand Held High Res etc), make me feel like I'd miss them when they are gone. Am i being just too emotional and should just do it, or should I just get rid of one body (probably the Em1X) and some of the lenses keeping just the 12-100 F4 IS, 1.4x Tele and the 300mm F4 Pro as a much smaller system ?

Thoughts please (I know it's ultimately my decision, but would appreciate others thought processes or something I haven't considered).
Well, I think this pandemic has been very challenging and unsettling to put it mildly and I wouldn't do anything yet. And if you have to add on top of that a personal illness or a loss, then all the more difficult to maintain an interest in a thing that might now seem trivial and irrelevant. The two systems are so different and bring different benefits. I have Oly and FF Canon systems and won't be getting shot of anything yet even though one of them is specifically for something that Covid might finish off. You could reduce the system as has been suggested but then you might end up buying it all again... good luck with your decision.

Hey Jeff,
I can't believe how sharp that looks - brilliant.
It's interesting that the Flickr image is less saturated than this one?
Can I buy your copy? :olympus:(y)

Last edited:
Hey Jeff,
I can't believe how sharp that looks - brilliant.
It's interesting that the Flickr image is less saturated than this one?
Can I buy your copy? :olympus:(y)
How does it go something about my cold dead hands etc.LOL And tbh it looked like a pile of crap on the camera screen but this is just one from about. 30

Does anyone know if Olympus's Live time and Live Composite features can be simulated in other cameras (obviously not automatically like in Olympus bodies) ?

Hi Andrew,
It would seem obvious you need to consolidate on just one system - and probably just one body of that system. Only you can decide what is the most important driver to make that selection - image quality, portability, etc etc.. Don't get hung up on gizmos like pro capture, if at the end of the day you ain't going to use them.
I reckon by just keeping one body and a small selection of lenses, it might well help you get your mojo back, and you'll be ready to go again - I hope so(y)
BTW, if you sell your EM1X, let me know.:giggle:

Last edited:
Only thing I find is the images shown in the post above don't look as clear/sharp as the actual originals on Flickr? I am uploading as original size to here using the BBCode, is that the best way?

That’s the name of the game with any downloads to most forums joe . I do post on a u.s one that takes direct uploads at full res though will p.m you the info

Only thing I find is the images shown in the post above don't look as clear/sharp as the actual originals on Flickr? I am uploading as original size to here using the BBCode, is that the best way?
You should downsize before posting on Flickr I use 2000 pixels on the long side and post about 1600 to here.
Resizing is part of the issue on forums.

a magpie from today ,I'm in the process of setting up a new feeding station locally due to local travel restrictions the welsh fuehrer says we cant leave our own county under threat of heavy fines so basically buggered unless this works ,all other local spots are getting crowded out .. anyway this seems to be working as the birds were there within ten minutes of putting feed down

hunger rocks by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

bewitched and bewildered by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
decisions decisions, EM1 mk2 or pana 100-400?

money to spend but not enough for both

I have a mk1, is the upgrade worth it?
Upgrade the camera IMO the sensor and AF are a real step forward

You can get a E-M1 ii for under £600 second hand at LCE without a grip but I do not use the grip I got with mine

Last edited:

Tend to agree with alfbranch here - the Mk 2 is a huge step up from the Mk 1. Of course it may depend on what lenses you currently have...

E global have omd em 1 mark 2 for £579

Tend to agree with alfbranch here - the Mk 2 is a huge step up from the Mk 1. Of course it may depend on what lenses you currently have...

I am missing a long lens to complete my armoury, have the kit lens 50-150 or whatever it is, but it's not great. It's also not a lens I reach for very often, and i'm not sure if that's because I don't need it or because I'm usually disappointed by it

Last edited:
thanks I'll have a look, not heard of them are they "reputable"?

just had a google, some appalling reviews.......
Yes mixed bag I have bought before several times had no issue myself maybe I have been just lucky

£699 from h.dew with 3 year u.k warranty

H.dew is a trusted seller to ,grey imports but full u.k back up if needed

Does anyone use an OM-D E1 mkiii for night time urban photography? If so how you find the low light performance, do you stick to low shutter speeds and low iso or higher iso to keep the shutter speed reasonable?

Does anyone use an OM-D E1 mkiii for night time urban photography? If so how you find the low light performance, do you stick to low shutter speeds and low iso or higher iso to keep the shutter speed reasonable?
What are using now?
What shutter speed do need to use and why?

Yes I've had the odd image that Topaz has rendered strangely with odd swirly bits, but mostly it works really well. In my experience the odd images tend not to be wildlife ones, more things like surfers. My Denoise needs updating now so I'm probably already missing out on some improvements.

.... Yes, after about 3 months of using Topaz AI (including keeping it up to date) and several thousand images, I got fed up with it being unreliable and, as you say @Bebop, especially on surfers. So I have gone back to using Imageonic and don't know why I gave up on it before < Well I do know! It was because Topaz AI was recommended to me by both Jeff @the black fox and professional Andy Rouse.

Any software with the AI Articial Intelligence name is currently flavour-of-the-month but some apps are a gimmick. Stay well away from any software by InPixio!!! It's a con and without techsupport.

What are using now?
What shutter speed do need to use and why?
I’ve got a Canon EOS7D mkii, I’m looking at going M4/3, but concerned about low light performance. Obviously for some shots shutter speeds irrelevant, but there are times I’d like to use higher iOS and keep shutter speeds shorter of possible

I’ve got a Canon EOS7D mkii, I’m looking at going M4/3, but concerned about low light performance. Obviously for some shots shutter speeds irrelevant, but there are times I’d like to use higher iOS and keep shutter speeds shorter of possible
Depends what you shoot , I have cleaned up shots up to 6400 iso

.... Yes, after about 3 months of using Topaz AI (including keeping it up to date) and several thousand images, I got fed up with it being unreliable and, as you say @Bebop, especially on surfers. So I have gone back to using Imageonic and don't know why I gave up on it before < Well I do know! It was because Topaz AI was recommended to me by both Jeff @the black fox and professional Andy Rouse.

Any software with the AI Articial Intelligence name is currently flavour-of-the-month but some apps are a gimmick. Stay well away from any software by InPixio!!! It's a con and without techsupport.
Not my fault you have decided to become a hippy a.k.a beach bum ... .topaz works for me and what I take ,but any software is just a tool ,more than one way to skin a cat

Back