Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

What is night time urban photography?

Only asking because I can't say how good or not m4/3 would be without knowing the parameters.
Used mine at night in illuminated towns and cities, faster lens is handy, but the ibis being so good helps a lot too.

Last edited:

Only asking because I can't say how good or not m4/3 would be without knowing the parameters.

Probably clumsily described, I was looking at city scenes after dark (illuminated buildings, streets etc)

Probably clumsily described, I was looking at city scenes after dark (illuminated buildings, streets etc)
You would get away with ISO 200 or 400 more than you think.
Ir you want a smaller lighter camera consider an EM5 iii

Can't say i've noticed any problems, here's one from a filthy evening in London..
Jpeg with no processing done at all, heavily compressed and resized to post here.
Must have a go with the raw and see how good it could be, used a G80 and 12-35/2.8
Taken at f/4, ISO 1600, 1/8sec and 30mm

P1030695 1.jpg

Last edited:
H.dew is a trusted seller to ,grey imports but full u.k back up if needed

.... Just to add my strong recommendation of HDEW as well. I have bought from them for years, together with WEX who are my favoured 'normal' retailer.

I have had a couple of warranty claims and HDEW have been first class! I can't say the same for Park Cameras! The repairers they use are AJ Johnstone in Glasgow who are officially appointed by all the major camera brands and HDEW put you in direct contact so that no time is wasted - Again that's something that the 'normal' retailers like Park refuse to do and then they whack on a fat profit just for handling.

However, Olympus UK do not support HDEW for warranty claims. If they did, the 'normal' retailers would be up in arms as they can't compete on prices.

Only as recently as last week, a screw came loose in the mounting plate of my Olympus MC-14 which I had bought from HDEW last October. Now fixed under warranty and I didn't even have to pay for return shipping. They also serviced my MC-20 so I have peace-of-mind and found nothing needing repair.

Last edited:
Not my fault you have decided to become a hippy a.k.a beach bum ...

.... Yeah man. Am now one of the surf dudes - The one that doesn't swim but is called legend by some. I even get offers to carry my camera gear to help me out. And the occasional hot cuppa. The chicas are friendly too.

A friend painted my portrait :

RP by Fabi 2048.jpg

.topaz works for me and what I take ,but any software is just a tool ,more than one way to skin a cat

.... I absolutely agree - Just a tool. We each use the ones we like the best for what we do. However, I was having problems with Topaz AI on some wildlife images, particularly higher ISO.

Last edited:
.... Yeah man. Am now one of the surf dudes - The one that doesn't swim but is called legend by some. I even get offers to carry my camera gear to help me out. And the occasional hot cuppa. The chicas are friendly too.

A friend painted my portrait :

View attachment 295744

.... I absolutely agree - Just a tool. We each use the ones we like the best for what we do. However, I was having problems with Topaz AI on some wildlife images, particularly higher ISO.
only because you dont know what your doing :wave: :wave: :wave:

Haven’t picked up my camera in more than a month, probably since August

lack inspiration

decisions decisions, EM1 mk2 or pana 100-400?

money to spend but not enough for both

I have a mk1, is the upgrade worth it?

An possible alternative and in a totally different price bracket if you're only going to use it occasionally is the Olympus 75-300mm
Obviously you're not getting the same reach and it's not quite as bright at any point but when they come in at CEX then they're very cheap :)
I got mine just pre-lockdown and haven't had an reason to really use it. I was mainly intending to shoot the F1000 heat at Snetterton as a friends races but no spectators this year :(
Next run out would be/will be the seal pups at Horsey Beach in a few weeks.

I am missing a long lens to complete my armoury, have the kit lens 50-150 or whatever it is, but it's not great. It's also not a lens I reach for very often, and i'm not sure if that's because I don't need it or because I'm usually disappointed by it

I have the same lens and I'm very happy with it but I use it infrequently as I don't tend to shoot stuff that needs the reach. I got the 75-300 as a compliment/replacement for it.

If you're seriously into sports or birds and want a long zoom then neither is going to be enough but both suit my occasional interests in long lens subjects.

Last edited:
Does anyone use an OM-D E1 mkiii for night time urban photography? If so how you find the low light performance, do you stick to low shutter speeds and low iso or higher iso to keep the shutter speed reasonable?

I have an older generation entry level Olympus - the OM-D E-M10ii - the stabilisation allows you to hand hold at some very low speeds so you can keep the ISO low.

When I'm in a hurry I tend to let the ISO climb.

City of London by night
by AMc UK, on Flickr
ISO 3200 1/60th f2.8

When I have more time or a handy thing to lean on then I fix the ISO at 200.

Tower of London and Tower Bridge
by AMc UK, on Flickr
ISO200 0.6s f2.8

Both are stitched panoramas. I know both images could probably be improved by careful noise reduction but it's not something that bothers me much so I haven't dug deep enough into how to do it with my aging v6 lightroom.

Robin Wong has done some tests on handholding the E-M1 in cities and got some impressive results at crazily long exposures.
It'll be on his YouTube channel.

Last edited:
Can't say i've noticed any problems, here's one from a filthy evening in London..
Jpeg with no processing done at all, heavily compressed and resized to post here.
Must have a go with the raw and see how good it could be, used a G80 and 12-35/2.8
Taken at f/4, ISO 1600, 1/8sec and 30mm

Thanks, that's the kind of shot I was thinking of. I suppose I've been overthinking the noise issue!

View attachment 295729

I have an older generation entry level Olympus - the OM-D E-M10ii - the stabilisation allows you to hand hold at some very low speeds so you can keep the ISO low.

When I'm in a hurry I tend to let the ISO climb.

City of London by night
by AMc UK, on Flickr
ISO 3200 1/60th f2.8

When I have more time or a handy thing to lean on then I fix the ISO at 200.

Tower of London and Tower Bridge
by AMc UK, on Flickr
ISO200 0.6s f2.8

Both are stitched panoramas. I know both images could probably be improved by careful noise reduction but it's not something that bothers me much so I haven't dug deep enough into how to do it with my aging v6 lightroom.

Robin Wong has done some tests on handholding the E-M1 in cities and got some impressive results at crazily long exposures.
It'll be on his YouTube channel.

That's the sort of shots I was worrying about M4/3 struggling with, but they look extremely good, thank you very much!

That's the sort of shots I was worrying about M4/3 struggling with, but they look extremely good, thank you very much!

To be honest I find m4/3 to be more than adequate for most uses.
I mostly print up to A3 and they come out very nicely. My printer is a Pixma Pro 10 and would show up any issues with quality.

As an aside I have just listed some of my m4/3 gear in the classifieds.
Only my spare stuff and have no intention of moving to another system

Next run out would be/will be the seal pups at Horsey Beach in a few weeks.

.... Me too! Do you happen to know a guy in Norfolk called Harry? PM me if so.

I'll be using my Olympus ED 100-400mm which I am finding extremely good for my usual purposes.

Oh well after fri I’m stuck indoors for yet another two weeks ,based on figures that we are being told are scientific .. feeling trapped at the moment

Haven’t picked up my camera in more than a month, probably since August

lack inspiration

.... That is sad to hear but of course if you are lacking any inspiration then you shouldn't force yourself.

Some camera gear retail therapy will probably suddenly inspire you though!! :D

I feel withdrawal symptoms if I haven't shot anything after about 3 days but I have a semi permanent pod rigged up on my kitchen window hide (with camo net curtain) and there's usually some bird action in my wildlife garden.

The subjects you shoot make all the difference to how often you shoot.

.... That is sad to hear but of course if you are lacking any inspiration then you shouldn't force yourself.

Some camera gear retail therapy will probably suddenly inspire you though!! :D

I feel withdrawal symptoms if I haven't shot anything after about 3 days but I have a semi permanent pod rigged up on my kitchen window hide (with camo net curtain) and there's usually some bird action in my wildlife garden.

The subjects you shoot make all the difference to how often you shoot.

I always have GAS but having bought and returned a 56mm f1.4 a few months back , perhaps its not the answer. Like many ( i suspect ) i often think "ooh, I'll get another camera like the X100t ( again )" but i know thats not the answer. Also, house refurbishment seems to have taken a step up the priorities list so money is tighter..

I used to shoot allsorts - landscape, macro, BIF, motorsport and i loved it. I'm not sure what changed but i'm just a bit uninterested at the moment. Maybe its a COVID thing as i used to travel with work a lot and be out every weekend but now all of that has stopped.

Hey All,

Just a quick one and probable a silly one so apologies, am I right in saying that the C-AF Centre Start & C-AF Centre Priority setting are only applicable if using an AF grid larger than single point? i.e. if using single point (mini or standard size) then neither of these settings work/matter?

Cheer all :)

Hey All,

Just a quick one and probable a silly one so apologies, am I right in saying that the C-AF Centre Start & C-AF Centre Priority setting are only applicable if using an AF grid larger than single point? i.e. if using single point (mini or standard size) then neither of these settings work/matter?

Cheer all :)

Also as a tag onto my above question, Scanner Mode??? Mine is currently set on Mode 2, now for someone that shoots mainly wildlife & still birds rather than BIF, should I leave it on this?

I will be honest I have never really understood what this is for?

I'll be using my Olympus ED 100-400mm which I am finding extremely good for my usual purposes.

No, I don't know a Harry :) I'm not a wildlife photographer by any stretch.
If we go it will be a family visit to see the baby seals and I'll take a few pictures. I won't be setting up camp and staying all day.

The reason I'm not sure is the last couple of years it's been very busy there.
I'm a bit wary of how people are going to behave when they should be socially distancing but they're roped in on the dunes.
The behaviour in the broads villages over the summer was not very encouraging with people packing themselves in like sardines.

The wardens are volunteers, there for the well being of the seals not the visitors.
If they put in one way systems etc. but people choose to ignore them then there's very little they can do and I wouldn't expect them to really.

I've heard 3rd hand that there are already pups but that seems too early and there's nothing on the Friends site to back that up.

Friends facebook page (FB sign in required)

Last edited:

Robin, there's a lad called Kyle Moore down that way who's got a wildlife photography business going. Good bloke, and when I spoke to him on a seal shoot last year I'm sure he said his business partner was called Harry

Edit, try www.harryreadphotography.co.uk or www.bearphoto.co.uk

Mike

Last edited:
It's very difficult all this; which part of the country are you in?
North wales chip ,we are currently on local lockdown meaning I can’t legally leave the county , and as from fri full stay home lockdown .. I can literally look out of my front window across the dee estuary and see where I want to be only three miles away but can’t get there ,and police are already doing ANPR checks and issuing fines so not worth chancing it

kestrel P/P using the new photoshop sky replacement tool .this was initially a clear blue sky . gets a WOW from me but will need to be used with care

the mood moment by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

I've recently bought a used Olympus E-M10 MKII and a few lenses and I've been looking at the 17mm 1.8 (non pancake version).
Do any you use this lens? Your feedback and sample shots would be very helpful.

Back