Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I know we all have our opinions on lens protection but after damaging a lens significantly and potentially reducing future sales/trade in value several years ago I have always invested in some form of protection when buying new lenses where required

So my Olympus 100-400 has new clothes to wear hopefully adding a further layer of protection after last weeks visit to Exemoor to photograph the rut and the sideways rain[emoji97] the camera never missed a beat

Once I got home took off the cover just to ensure no lingering moisture was left and the lens was bone dry

Bought the cover from outdoorphotographygear.co.uk who supplied cover for my 300mm as well can recommend them all the cutouts/windows are there so you can have the tripod mount on Pictures show cover with the 1.4tc attached
PSX_20201028_143545.jpgPSX_20201028_143531.jpg

Last edited:
seems to work well
I can also vouch for Topaz de Noise! In fact it was Jeff that got me onto it, but it really does help speeding up the pp & particularly with wildlife shots.

I also bought de Sharpen, one their last sale & although not used as much as de noise, it also works well with certain shots too.

it also seems to update every 2 or 3 weeks to . what it does now is far removed from the first download I did . well worth buying a proper copy rather than the internet knock offs

this one slipped through the net , I was going to do a sky replacement on it but it just wouldn't work as it made parts of the bird disappear . so as shot with just normal p/p
au naturale by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

finding suitable shots for this sky replacement lark is harder than it looks the light has to be in the right direction to start with . I think this one met all the criteria for a sunset shot

a suitable case for treatment by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

female stonechat from earlier this year , as some will know I use topaz de-noise for N/R there latest update now gives you 4 comparisons to compare which works best with each image I'm finding it totally brilliant as it does a far better job than my eyes alone can . worth a look if you have it
fifty shades of brown by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

I've downloaded the trial version of DXO Photolab 4 this morning.
Been having a little play with it - looks very impressive.
If I didn't have the Topaz suite of programmes it would be a no-brainer - the pundits are very complimentary about the noise reduction capabilities.

Anyone else trying it?

If I didn't have the Topaz suite of programmes it would be a no-brainer - the pundits are very complimentary about the noise reduction capabilities.

Anyone else trying it?

I have downloaded it but not yet installed to trial it.......but the improvements over PL3 do look a nice step change.

female stonechat from earlier this year , as some will know I use topaz de-noise for N/R there latest update now gives you 4 comparisons to compare which works best with each image I'm finding it totally brilliant as it does a far better job than my eyes alone can . worth a look if you have it
fifty shades of brown by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr
Brilliant images Jeff.

I also see you mention to usefulness of the new 4 way comparison, that De Noise now offers. I must admit when I saw this in the email from Topaz the other day, I though that sounds good, so it good to know it is good aha. Just need to recover from the surgery now, then get back out there to use it :)

Not tack sharp by any means, but whist I was re-processing some older images, found this one, and I don't know why, but it just made me smile :)

I've got a wanted thread for an E-M1 iii if anyone is thinking of selling

Anyone else trying it?
I've downloaded the trial after recently moving from Lightroom to Photolab 3. My Topaz Denoise is up for renewal - which is £40 for the latest version. The Photolab upgrade is £54, so I shall probably go with that as there are a few things I like about it. I am very impressed with DeepPrime.

I'm finding that I do far less processing in Photolab than I ever needed to do in Lightroom. It's a bit slower, but the results are better in my opinion.

Here is an ISO 4000 image run through DeepPrime at the default setting. I've done no processing at all other than a crop - DxO applies a module which is unique to the camera/lens combination.
20200920-BCO31405_1_DxO-small.jpg

And here is the same image which was edited in Lightroom (in September) and then run through Denoise. I can't go back to Lightroom to see what I did as my subscription has ended, but obviously the colours are a bit muted. I've tried to make the crop similar.

20200920-BCO31405-Edit_topaz.jpg

If you open a raw image in Denoise, and apply the settings, does anyone know what happens to it? Does it somehow overwrite the RAW? I was expecting to see a tiff saved. Mine seems to have disappeared although it did appear to process it. Ideally I wanted to compare them both with no processing.

The grasses and hares eyes are better in the top one ,but it’s a hard one to quantify fairly ,as things have moved on in L/R P/S and topaz .. best thing is just go with what your happy with , spent to many years with both canon and Nikon chasing incremental improvements and spending a fortune on it

The grasses and hares eyes are better in the top one ,but it’s a hard one to quantify fairly ,as things have moved on in L/R P/S and topaz .. best thing is just go with what your happy with , spent to many years with both canon and Nikon chasing incremental improvements and spending a fortune on it
Yes I agree - it is hard to compare fairly - I think both handle an ISO 4000 image surprisingly well. For me now Photolab will be my goto, but if it's not looking right, I'll try it through Topaz, even if it is out of date.

I was looking for an owl, so my shutter speed was a bit higher than it needed to be.

Another thing to consider is that in Photolab, DeepPrime and Prime only work on raw files whereas Topaz Denoise will also work on jpegs. There is HQ noise reduction in Photolab for JPEG’s. I haven’t looked into Jpeg processing at all and how they compare.

Another re-processed oldie from the EM1X

The Latest from Robin Wong on the dismantling of Olympus.......
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HefGcvhmQuU

Some interesting insights as the structural changes in the Malaysian market that could be modeled/copied in the EU and North American markets................time will tell though based on his 1st December 'timestamping' of the change coming where he is it seems it might come sooner rather than later?

Looks like the long awaiting firmware updates to the EM1X and EM1 MK III might be coming this months. No talk of the promised AF improvements (specifically the Bird / Animal AI tracking mode for the EM1X), but rather the talk is about Raw video currently ?

Waiting to what updates come through on both these bodies holding off on buying a second body until I can see what updates each of the bodies will have if they would just merge all the good bits in both bodies I would buy in a instant a "EM1XEM1mark 3 hybrid monster"

Last edited:
Supposedly there’s a new “ sony” developed MFT sensor due out next year to will Olympus or Panasonic utilise it ,one things for certain MFT is a long way from a dead format

Supposedly there’s a new “ sony” developed MFT sensor due out next year to will Olympus or Panasonic utilise it ,one things for certain MFT is a long way from a dead format

I think the rumour was 30MP?

I wonder is the once oft mentioned global shutter sensor???

PS I have not read or heard much about "global shutter" for a while???

Back