Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Well done @RedRobin. That's a fabulous wave!

I won't keep harping on about Photolab, but I have just been going through some old photos and found this one from 2018 taken when it was really quite dark with ISO 6400.

Apart from the standard DxO module, I've done a little sharpening on the eyes and then run it through DeepPrime, and cropped a fair bit. Taken with the 300mm f/4 1/125s on Em1ii.
It probably needs lightening a bit, but I'm very impressed with Photolab 4.

.... Thanks @Bebop. The waves keep on coming (of course!) and so many of the surfable ones are fabulous in their own right.

I considered DXO when Apple stopped supporting their RAW editor called Aperture several years ago but I chose Capture One and am happy with it although, like Photoshop, it offers more than I usually need. I use Photoshop CS6 as a Filters/Plug-ins host and so have not updated my macOS beyond 10.14 Mojave because I can't run CS6 on the later macOS.

There are now a number of good RAW editors in the market, all slightly different and each offering different advantages but not being a professional I can't justify having all of them. I already have ON1 and Affinity but not Lightroom.

Regarding noise reduction, whereas I have found Topaz AI DeNoise good for many subjects it is abysmal for seascapes. I think this is because there are so many different textures and subtle colours that its Artificial 'Intelligence' simply can't cope and Topaz have not so far catered for this. So for noise reduction I have returned to Imageonic and it not only works extremely well but also much much much faster, not that I need it to. However, I rarely choose ISO values more than about 1000 - I would rather under expose and rescue in post-processing (I only shoot RAW, never JPEG).

It's one thing to have to pay for main editing software but I baulk at being asked to pay to update a plug-in (AI DeNoise).

Robin possibly has it in a nutshell we are not earning a living from this , so anything produced is purely for our own pleasure or friends and family ... plus due to this years travel problems it looks like most stuff will simply be a re.hash of previous subjects .. and I for one cannot substantiate spending any more money on yet another form of developing a photo of a sparrow from a raw file and learning how to do it in the process ..
I’m almost at the point of wondering why am I bothering at all ,when I could be making a model of the titanic from matchsticks without even leaving the house .. nuff said

I agree with you both @RedRobin and @the black fox and I'm not saying you should splash out for more software - you both already produce super images. I just think it is worth knowing about for if/when a time comes to upgrade or for people who are looking for new software. I've just saved myself the money from subscribing to Lightroom this year, so I'm happy.

I also found the same @RedRobin with my kitsurfing images - Topaz Denoise produced weird artefacts. I normally try and keep the ISO as low as I can. This kestrel was spotted at the end of a walk and as he was sitting fairly still, I just fired off a few shots not really expecting anything useable.

I'm not earning a living from photography, but I do sometimes get paid for taking photos and these are sometimes under floodlights, so noise reduction (and to have it within the editing software) is very useful then.

I started a trial of Capture One, but I didn't have time to get to grips with it.

I am also a DXO user and have found that the noise reduction in deep prime has been brilliant for my very poorly exposed images with my Olympus em1/2, (not the cameras fault, purely the user!) I have also moved from the creative cloud subscription service and tried initially to just use Olympus workspace and Affinity, but for some reason, the Olympus workspace runs sooooo slowly on my Mac, I now use it for just importing and then editing with DXO (and sometimes Affinity). I have spent way too long researching other editing systems and think I have now finally hit on a system that works for me. I also have ON1 (you can see I have spent far too long trying to find a good alternative to Adobe!) but prefer the way DXO seems to treat Olympus raw files, I now use On1 to process any jpeg images that need extra tweaking! Fortunately, all 3 programmes, Affinity, DXO and On1 sitting on my computer were bought at times of discounts, otherwise it would be years before I could recoup the cost from not having a LR subscription!!

just a off the cuff burst ,I was actually shooting some linnets on the end of a grass promontory that sticks out in the sea protecting the lifeboat slipway . ,and this came whizzing by managed 3 sharp shots as it was weaving in flight as well

I am also a DXO user and have found that the noise reduction in deep prime has been brilliant for my very poorly exposed images with my Olympus em1/2, (not the cameras fault, purely the user!) I have also moved from the creative cloud subscription service and tried initially to just use Olympus workspace and Affinity, but for some reason, the Olympus workspace runs sooooo slowly on my Mac, I now use it for just importing and then editing with DXO (and sometimes Affinity). I have spent way too long researching other editing systems and think I have now finally hit on a system that works for me. I also have ON1 (you can see I have spent far too long trying to find a good alternative to Adobe!) but prefer the way DXO seems to treat Olympus raw files, I now use On1 to process any jpeg images that need extra tweaking! Fortunately, all 3 programmes, Affinity, DXO and On1 sitting on my computer were bought at times of discounts, otherwise it would be years before I could recoup the cost from not having a LR subscription!!
Yes I also bought Affinity and On1 when they were discounted - and Photolab. I have been becoming a software junky in my bid to lose the subscription! Mostly this was last year with the plan to leave Adobe then, but they managed to get my 'out of date' credit card to pay up. This time I made sure it ended. It's nice to feel free :)

I have also moved from the creative cloud subscription service and tried initially to just use Olympus workspace and Affinity, but for some reason, the Olympus workspace runs sooooo slowly on my Mac, I now use it for just importing and then editing with DXO (and sometimes Affinity).
I don't think you should blame your Mac for Workspace - it's just very, very slow at least on my PCs and every user I've ever read talking about it :)

If you have the EM-1ii or iii or the X then you can use the camera to boost performance substantially - doesn't look like you can do that with a Mac though.

That second shot is brilliant Jeff. Crystal clear and good colour. (y)

Coincidentally, when I arrived back from my morning walk along the estuary, and before I had seen your post, I received this on FB from RSPB Ribble Estuary

"If you take a closer look at the gulls on Fairhaven Lake you may notice that they are not all the same.
Black headed gulls are by far the most abundant of gulls on the lake, they are interspersed with the larger (grey backed) herring gulls and the (darker backed) lesser black backed gulls. But there is one other less well known gull lurking too.
The common gull is not quite as its name suggests and are easily outnumbered by the others. The distinguishing features of this gull are its 'kinder' and more 'gentle' face and black eye. In winter they have a streaky head and a yellow tip on the end of a dark bill and yellowy/green legs (if you see them out of the water). In summer plumage their head is white and their bill and legs all a bright yellow.
Perhaps keep an eye out for these gulls on autumn walks around Fairhaven and the estuary."

I like the reference to the 'kinder' face.:)

That second shot is brilliant Jeff. Crystal clear and good colour. (y)

Coincidentally, when I arrived back from my morning walk along the estuary, and before I had seen your post, I received this on FB from RSPB Ribble Estuary

"If you take a closer look at the gulls on Fairhaven Lake you may notice that they are not all the same.
Black headed gulls are by far the most abundant of gulls on the lake, they are interspersed with the larger (grey backed) herring gulls and the (darker backed) lesser black backed gulls. But there is one other less well known gull lurking too.
The common gull is not quite as its name suggests and are easily outnumbered by the others. The distinguishing features of this gull are its 'kinder' and more 'gentle' face and black eye. In winter they have a streaky head and a yellow tip on the end of a dark bill and yellowy/green legs (if you see them out of the water). In summer plumage their head is white and their bill and legs all a bright yellow.
Perhaps keep an eye out for these gulls on autumn walks around Fairhaven and the estuary."

I like the reference to the 'kinder' face.:)
Yep I find them very gentle compared to the other gulls .got a nice virtual full frame lesser blacked in flight this morning , got a fair bit of p.p to do at the moment

Since buying the ED 100-400mm and having shot thousands of images with it on a M1X both with and without the MC-14 and all day in the rain etc, it's a heavy enough combo and captures good enough images for my purposes. As I also very often need to carry my second M1X plus another lens when on walkabout, the new 150-400mm+1.25 would not be practical even though it is virtually guaranteed to offer stunning IQ. I can just about afford to buy it but won't.

Even if I was to sell all my Olympus gear and shoot with just one M1X body plus the new 150-400mm as my sole lens, it wouldn't cover all my wildlife and surfing/seascape needs and aspirations.

Way way out of my pension limits ,and probably to heavy as well I did notice one tester mentioning using a tripod and gimbal ,so that puts it on the no way list anyway.

What is far more interesting is a array of firmware updates coming in early dec. for most of the top end bodies e.mix ,1-mkii andmkiii and em5 mkiii

Last edited:
EM1 X bird detection AF to be added on Firmware 2.0 will be interesting to see users feedback on this particular firmware upgrade

I see it's not being added to the EM1 iii
yes noticed it was not added to the Mark iii I have been waiting to see what software updates both the EM1Xand the Mark iii are getting before deciding which one will become my second body to my Mark ii

Andy Rouse has given his feedback he also had the 2.0 software update on EM1X

Jeff, I think you MAY have inadvertently got pictures of twite there. They are the archetypal little brown job and very similar to linnet. However in winter they do have yellow bills instead of the linnet's grey bill. They are very uncommon in wales but there is a wintering flock on the Dee estuary (I think). I couldn't be 100% though.
you may well be correct I have had twite at this spot previously and yes its on the dee estuary ... not got my head on straight at the moment

It would be hard to get much better than these Jeff regardless of gear .
Rob

EM1 X bird detection AF to be added on Firmware 2.0 will be interesting to see users feedback on this particular firmware upgrade

I see it's not being added to the EM1 iii

Olympus are oh so missing a vital user group.......wildlife photographers! I have no doubt that because of the technical difference between the 1X and the MK3 there are firmware hurdles to overcome but could they have not offered perhaps two alternative firmware version ~ one that majors on video and the other on AI AF detection. NB this surmise potential is based 'a way' of making up for the difference in specs stated above between the two highest specified bodies!

Olympus Visionary explains the M1X new Bird Recognition feature - It sounds exciting but I don't think Jeff @the black fox needs it!!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbxbbkwJyY8

Firmware available 3rd December.

Olympus are oh so missing a vital user group.......wildlife photographers! I have no doubt that because of the technical difference between the 1X and the MK3 there are firmware hurdles to overcome but could they have not offered perhaps two alternative firmware version ~ one that majors on video and the other on AI AF detection. NB this surmise potential is based 'a way' of making up for the difference in specs stated above between the two highest specified bodies!

.... My understanding from Peter Forsgard's video is that Bird Recognition requires a "huge algorithm" and that might explain the M1X-only capability currently but I don't actually know.

Olympus Visionary explains the M1X new Bird Recognition feature - It sounds exciting but I don't think Jeff @the black fox needs it!!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbxbbkwJyY8

Firmware available 3rd December.

.... My understanding from Peter Forsgard's video is that Bird Recognition requires a "huge algorithm" and that might explain the M1X-only capability currently but I don't actually know.
Looking at the page about the FW update it must be huge......as they talk about it taking between 10-12 minutes. The almost identical FW for the MK3 has no such notice....so surmise the AI database (query part of the main AI models database = full database download) and it's 'control' is(sadly for MK3 users) only workable in the 1X

Re: the new lens

Imaging Resource have posted their review

PS FWIW I do rate IR reviews....one of the ones I trusted when make my purchase choices.

Looking at the page about the FW update it must be huge......as they talk about it taking between 10-12 minutes. The almost identical FW for the MK3 has no such notice....so surmise the AI database (query part of the main AI models database = full database download) and it's 'control' is(sadly for MK3 users) only workable in the 1X
We all need help at times though robin .the only real answer is practice and more practise ,not always available to us all

We all need help at times though robin .the only real answer is practice and more practise ,not always available to us all

.... I agree with you Jeff but I think you are replying to Box Brownie rather than me.

It's all looking good Robin but a bit too late coming for me as i went to Sony that said at a later date i may well take a look at Olympus again this lens seems perfect for birding with a EM1X .
Rob.

.... Hi Rob. Yes, I think that the new 150-400mm promises to be perfect for most wildlife and not just birds. It even has close-up 'macro' capabilities, as does my ED 100-400mm. BUT, what if, like myself, you shoot additional genres of photography? In my case it would be perfect for surfer shots as well as most wildlife. I guess I might possibly consider it later next year if I sell some other camera gear but I'm not jumping onto it at the moment.

Back