Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I don't think it will Jeff because in high speed burst mode the focus is set on the first frame so in theory only the first shot should be sharp Unless the bird is still however even a bird in flight burst can show more than the first shot sharp because it hardly moves in a burst of 10/ 20 .
Now if a bird is flying right towards you in a burst they should get progressively softer after the first 2 or 3 shots but in low speed burst the camera try's to refocus between each shot even at 13 fps .

Rob.
Low sequential burst only goes to 10fps rob .. and while as you say in theory only the first shot should be sharp in practice it doesn’t seem to apply unless the difference is to minute to tell , I have bursts of up to and above at times 30 shots with most if not all in acceptable focus

.... What sort of distance from these feeding Fieldfares are you please Jeff?
They're fabulous btw - Great captures of the right moment.
Estimate around 10 feet robin . Right hand wheels were on the pavement shooting out of drivers window

Low sequential burst only goes to 10fps rob .. and while as you say in theory only the first shot should be sharp in practice it doesn’t seem to apply unless the difference is to minute to tell , I have bursts of up to and above at times 30 shots with most if not all in acceptable focus
Sorry Jeff I meant with electronic shutter [Silent sequential shooting L] approx. 18 fps with selectable 1-10, 15, 18 fps

1.6s handheld through a dirty windscreen. Might try with the FE next time

Flat Out by damianmkv, on Flickr

Last edited:
I love this. I think I'd crop the wipers off the bottom, but it is great! What is FE please?

.... :ROFLMAO: Although it also works extremely well as a strong dynamic graphic with the wipers cropped out, personally I like that the wipers show that it's a car rather than anything else at speed. But I love cars and driving.

I like them both but in different ways.

I was meaning the wildlife getting up to the pond rather that into it....

View attachment 304118

.... @Joe94 Joe, you'll find that frogs will easily leap into that pond and newts will climb that poolside wall without any problem as it is in your photo. Their senses know where the water is and they'll seek it. I have three wildlife (no fish) small ponds in my garden and was going to suggest you had a pond. Water attracts all wildlife, just like a waterhole in the Serengeti plains of Africa! Watch out for the Hyenas!!

Last edited:
@Joe94

All good suggestions above about the pond and its value to the wildlife ~ good for you & your dad in improving the garden 'facilities' with the wildlife in mind.

In case I missed it being mentioned.............in the event of the likes of a Hedgehog getting into the pond you need to provide a ramp that runs from the bottom of the pond to top edge for such creatures to be able to climb out and away. Not doing so does put them at risk of drowning :( A common example of a ramp is a piece of wood e.g. 4inches wides x approx min 1/2 inch thick with grooving scored into it across the width and all the way along the length to need to use in your pond. The grooving provides some 'purchase' for their paws/claws to grip on to exit the pond.

All the best with your garden wildlife venture :)

@Joe94

All good suggestions above about the pond and its value to the wildlife ~ good for you & your dad in improving the garden 'facilities' with the wildlife in mind.

In case I missed it being mentioned.............in the event of the likes of a Hedgehog getting into the pond you need to provide a ramp that runs from the bottom of the pond to top edge for such creatures to be able to climb out and away. Not doing so does put them at risk of drowning :( A common example of a ramp is a piece of wood e.g. 4inches wides x approx min 1/2 inch thick with grooving scored into it across the width and all the way along the length to need to use in your pond. The grooving provides some 'purchase' for their paws/claws to grip on to exit the pond.

All the best with your garden wildlife venture :)

Thank you, very much appreciated :)

As for the Hedgehog, your absolutely right though and infact we actually have a resident nightly hedgehog so luckily we thought of that one :) . We have incorporated a ramp going straight from the top edge to the bottom & have now filled in the top gap further to. And then where the ramp finishes at the top edge, there is also another mini ramp going down behind the pond onto the chipping, giving full complete easy access in & out :)

.... @Joe94 Joe, you'll find that frogs will easily leap into that pond and newts will climb that poolside wall without any problem as it is in your photo. Their senses know where the water is and they'll seek it. I have three wildlife (no fish) small ponds in my garden and was going to suggest you had a pond. Water attracts all wildlife, just like a waterhole in the Serengeti plains of Africa! Watch out for the Hyenas!!

Thank you Robin :)

I did think that may be the case, as we actually already have a small wildlife water area at the top of the garden, basically a large plastic tub, built into the side of a rockery & we have had a family of frogs in there for years, with no issues & that’s even harder to get too. But yeah wanted a proper purpose built pond this time at this side of the garden so hopefully eaither the exciting frogs will move or a new family will arrive :)

Jees if I find a Hyena, I better have my camera out

That's a great shot Jeff stunning IQ .

Rob.

..... Nice one, Joe! On your new Olympus 40-150mm Pro?

Thank you Robin :)

Ah yes forgot to mention that! It certainly does it’s job for the feeding area & window hide, on a low light day like today for sure.

I did however see a bird land on a roof at the other end of the garden plus some further distance, that I would have liked to have shot but that just proves to me the 100-400 still has its place. But to be fair I was focusing on the feeders today, and not long distance bird watching, so It definitely also shows it’s a good 100-400 companion for when distance is not needed :)

Just shows though that it swing and roundabouts with lenses & that they all have there different uses, pros & cons in all different situations.

Bottom line though, is I’m very happy with the set up I now have & look forward to this coming full year with my Wildlife set up of the EM1.3, 40-150 pro, 100-400 & 60mm macro along with all the practicing & learning you have all be so instrumental with over the last 6 months :)

Just shows though that it swing and roundabouts with lenses & that they all have there different uses, pros & cons in all different situations.

Bottom line though, is I’m very happy with the set up I now have & look forward to this coming full year with my Wildlife set up of the EM1.3, 40-150 pro, 100-400 & 60mm macro along with all the practicing & learning you have all be so instrumental with over the last 6 months :)

.... Yes it's always 'Horses-for-Courses' with lenses and there is no such thing as the perfect lens nor camera!

You got it, Joe! Shoot, shoot, shoot, is the best way to learn and gain experience.

Btw, I learnt a lot from Jeff @the black fox but fortunately he doesn't phone me and bark orders at me so much now! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

.... Yes it's always 'Horses-for-Courses' with lenses and there is no such thing as the perfect lens nor camera!

You got it, Joe! Shoot, shoot, shoot, is the best way to learn and gain experience.

Btw, I learnt a lot from Jeff @the black fox but fortunately he doesn't phone me and bark orders at me so much now! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thats very true!

And haha well I must credit Jeff @the black fox a LOT for my learning too, as he has helped & tought me a lot of what I now know too aha, so I can’t grumble at that one!

But thank you for your help too, Robin & for me I’m sure there will be much more learning from you all to come aha :)

A female Blackbird currently resident in my wildlife garden and perched on a wild Elderberry tree. She has been eating crab apples on another tree nearby. Last year a Blackbird pair nested and bred in my garden and so this one could be the same one or even be born in my garden.

At least 50ft away. Camera details on Flickr, or ask here.

BLACKBIRD ON FROSTY BRANCHES by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:

that can be sorted as YOUR NOW IN TIER 5 STAY AT HOME LOCKDOWN :banana: :banana: :banana:

A female Blackbird currently resident in my wildlife garden and perched on a wild Elderberry tree. She has been eating crab apples on another tree nearby. Last year a Blackbird pair nested and bred in my garden and so this one could be the same one or even be born in my garden.

At least 50ft away. Camera details on Flickr, or ask here.

BLACKBIRD ON FROSTY BRANCHES by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Lovely image Robin!

There beautiful birds & the female in our garden has come everyday for at least the last 3 weeks now & infact today a male was sat in one of our garden bushes today :)

that can be sorted as YOUR NOW IN TIER 5 STAY AT HOME LOCKDOWN :banana: :banana: :banana:

.... In reality it doesn't make much difference which tier or lockdown I'm in. I can continue to shoot from my 'KitchenWindow Hide' and also locally as I have been doing since March 2020. I'm very lucky where I live. I am in easy reach of a couple of surfing beaches too.

We still keep getting people giving reviews that with bird tracking AI you can adjust the tracking sensitivity yet Olympus says it has no effect when in a tracking mode it ONLY works in C-AF .

Rob.

More discussion about the Bird D&T and how the detection and the AF interact?

Insights into the EM1x intelligent bird detection system: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

A couple of linked videos in that post.

.... Very helpful linked videos there although @GyRob reminds us what Olympus state. However, I personally find that using Bird D&T is still frustrating and not as reliable as I need it to be. I also find all these different settings a pain in the butt and I didn't get on with the Canon AF so-called 'fine-tuning' biasses either.

No matter which button or lever you customise your camera body to switch between C-AF+TR and S-AF, you have to move a finger off either your Shutter or your Back Button Focus and just doing that can miss you the shot. And then if the AF green box in D&T doesn't immediately find either the bird or its eye you have probably lost the shot while trying to make it happen. I love Olympus and that they are a very innovative camera designer but Bird D&T isn't doing it for me except for birds in flight in uncluttered skies.

Goldfinches will settle and feed on the same teasel head for a few minutes and so provide quite a good opportunity to switch in and out of Bird D&T. My results were more reliable when not shooting D&T. Goldfinch head movements when feeding are very fast indeed.

GOLDFINCH FEEDING AND WATCHING by Robin Procter, on Flickr

GOLDFINCH FEEDING ON TEASEL by Robin Procter, on Flickr

All shot in my wildlife garden and from my KitchenWindow Hide. Camera settings info on Flickr.

KitchenWindow Hide_0955.jpg

Last edited:
nice couple of Goldie shots robin

Back