Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Have you got an Android phone?

If so the Chrome browser has Google translate available ~ click the 3dots to get the menu list and translate is there.... HTH?

.... I'm in! I installed Chrome browser on my iPad and Google searched the URL followed by the Translation option, et voila!

Lots of interesting information and a great insight into the Olympus design team's approach and goals. They very consciously wanted to create a super-telephoto lens to match the E-M1X and didn't know which focal lengths etc it would be when they started < Fascinating! They may even offer the lens plus M1X as a package.

Handheld shooting has been a leading feature the team set out to create. To that end, the inner zoom maintains a centre of gravity and handheld comfort. The optical design and placing of the internal elements has also considered the lens centre of gravity.

The choice of 1.25x is be able to achieve the optimum F/aperture values throughout the zoom focal lengths. F/4.5 makes a significant weight saving compared with F/4.

The advantages of a built-in teleconverter will be obvious to anyone who uses TCs and they were very aware of minimising any loss of image opportunity while mounting/unmounting a TC and also weather protection if doing so.

All the ergonomics have been considered in practical detail (just as in the E-M1X body).

There is a lot of information about construction materials and internal lens placements in the interview. In simple terms it is all about weight saving without compromising durability or their Pro standard of weatherproofing.

The Olympus team intentionally designed the lens to exploit short shooting distances to broaden its appeal and flexibility.

High-speed AF and strong Image Stabilisation were also goals. It presented a number of difficult challenges which they have overcome. We should not be surprised by why development can take years to complete.

There is a lot of technical information given in this interview. And the English translation is very good.

The interview states that the lens will be released on 21st January this year.

The second part of the interview talks about the "future of the Olympus brand" which will be established at the end of January [soon!]. Do not worry!! The Olympus brand and all its values to the consumer will be maintained.

Golly! There is an option to have the built-in TC lever on the left instead of righthand side! That appeals to me personally but would be a paid for extra and so I have lost interest in that option.

Well, in conclusion I am even more impressed and especially pleased to hear that the E-M1X and this super-telephoto lens have both been designed to work together.

Last edited:
A couple more images
Taken with the e-m1x and the 300 f4
I really like the weight of this combo

.... I meant to comment on your earlier posted images but got busy. Very nice and good to hear that you are enjoying the combo.

Redwing in a Hoar frost. (E-M1ii, PL200 2.8 + x1.4TC)
View attachment 304743

.... Oooh, that's VERY nice! I like habitat shots.

Just out of curiosity, I assume that the 1.4x made the aperture F/5.6 for this shot?

Prime vs zoom lenses is always a compromise of swings vs roundabouts. Nowadays I favour zooms and expect to be selling my Olympus ED 300mm F/4 Pro in due course as I haven't used it for several months and I shoot nearly every day.

Well the sun came out so back in the garden testing the bird AI and it worked quite well again using either 25 or all points i was getting around 30 out of 40 sharp shot of birds in flight .
The trick seems to be see the bird and try to get on it early
This bird was around on the hedge and although 25 points found it often it would lose focus so I set the FN lever to C-AF +TR but single point and got a much better hit rate and of cause it was very quick to throw that lever .
Rob.
View: https://flic.kr/p/2kqzQ4X

early morning sunshine on a goldfinch and starling on the front garden feeders .. after talking to a friend yesterday I have some new ideas for scenarios so in the middle of setting things up... the main problem I have is the side windows are in a bay so all shots have to be taken through a large D/Glazed window . but cant complain with results like this. taken from the comfort of my sofa
only a winters day by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

dig deep by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
.... Oooh, that's VERY nice! I like habitat shots.

Just out of curiosity, I assume that the 1.4x made the aperture F/5.6 for this shot?

Thank you, much appreciated coming from yourself. The TC makes it a 280mm f/4. The x2 TC makes it a 400mm f/5.6, I only use that with blue skies as I’ve also got the Oly 100-400mm as well. The PL200 at f/2.8 is useful on dull days to freeze action.

Jeff? :thinking:
Male left , female right?

.... Sorry Alan! I wrote 'Jeff' (aka the black fox) by mistake - He had just posted a comment on my Flickr page.

Last edited:
I must admit I was happy with the autofocus before they brought out the bird Tr mode for the EM1x
Nuthatch
Footnote I just downsized this on the phone from a much larger file so I haven't run any noise reduction on it.

Attachments

• PSX_20210110_205130.jpg
    PSX_20210110_205130.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
A quick question to you M1X users.

As a default usage i.e. without BBF set does it AF in both S-AF and C-AF on the shutter button???

Yes same as most cameras do

I knew so but........

Thanks for settling my mind.....................without explaining 'here' now, I was being told the complete opposite, by an individual (not another TP member) that should know better, that the default setting was that C-AF and C-AF & Tr was on the AEL/AFL button :banghead: :thinking: :bat:

I have tried BBF with several cameras (all brands) and simply cant get on with it .. I also find that the hyper sensitive (as opposed to other cameras)front shutter button really does work well ,for me at least .
so to make a camera that only worked on the AEL/AFL button would deter a lot of potential buyers

BBF is very much a personal preference and I can't be sure 100% but my E-M1X may have been supplied with it already set. Either way, it is an easy job to change to be your preference but if choosing BBF you need to customise both the shutter button and the AEL/AFL BBF so they can be harnessed to work together.

Whether BBF is set or not, full AF functionality and all its associated options should still work.

It took me a few try's Jeff with canon then Olympus my omd mkII Shutter was just too sensitive so i kept at it and always use BBF now .

Rob.

It took me a few try's Jeff with canon then Olympus my omd mkII Shutter was just too sensitive so i kept at it and always use BBF now .
Rob.

.... I found the M1X shutter especially sensitive and much prefer BBF and being able to focus entirely independently of metering and shutter firing. The half-press on the shutter works well for metering.

But Jeff and others do extremely well without BBF and so there is no right or wrong way.

I won’t scare you by posting a photo of my thumb , with the 5 inch long scar where they inserted a artificial tendon 70 years ago , it’s still working fine , but I tend to think it’s not as sensitive as a normal one . One possibilty why I prefer front button working

I won’t scare you by posting a photo of my thumb , with the 5 inch long scar where they inserted a artificial tendon 70 years ago , it’s still working fine , but I tend to think it’s not as sensitive as a normal one . One possibilty why I prefer front button working

I'm the same major scar on front of thumb from some metal coiled casing covering. Then a mate tapped me on the shoulder with the butt of a chisel I turned around and the sharp bit went across the back of the thumb I didn't pass out but the lecture almost did

Last edited:
a few gulls at feeding time , samyang 7.5 mm fisheye outside the house few friends round for dinner .jpg

MY FRIENDLY HOUSE SPIDER ....

Who suddenly crawled out from the dark shadows under my desktop computer screen and from his duties maintaining my silken hyperinterwebbynet.

He paused long enough for a couple of photos as I had my Olympus TG-6 TOUGH to hand as usual. Focus Bracketed and handheld, then 10 RAW images combined later in Affinity Photo and Exported (saved) as a TIFF back to Capture One for Adjustments etc before Export as final JPEG.

I prefer Focus Bracketing to Focus Stacking onboard the camera because the camera doesn't allow you to choose which images you might want to delete and also automatically combines the images as a final JPEG and consequently not offering the editing potential of a TIFF file.

Most of the recent Olympus cameras and lenses support Focus Bracketing/Stacking but not all as handheld < Made possible by such industry-leading image stabilisation.

Obviously it is only successful if the subject remains absolutely still for long enough.

MY FRIENDLY HOUSE SPIDER .... by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Anyone picked up on any rumours regarding the new 100mm macro on the Olympus roadmap ?

Anyone picked up on any rumours regarding the new 100mm macro on the Olympus roadmap ?

.... The latest info I have seen on an official Olympus website was last year in July 2020. It stated "an unspecified" new Macro lens and as a Pro model but with no ETA date given yet.

Oly roadmap July2020.jpg

So I think we can be sure that a new Macro is in development. The online speculation is that it is a 100mm but no-one really knows for certain yet. It would be nice if they could design it so it could mount a MC-14. That would be a first for a macro lens internal optics and typical of Olympus to be first. I think that their new internal optics design layout in their 150-400mm+1.25x Pro may allow that possibility but I am kinda guessing based on interviews with the Olympus design team and their stated goals.

It's a no-brainer to suggest it will allow the allweather flash Olympus STF-8 to be mounted.

Meanwhile I am happy with my Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS + Kenko 1.4x + Metabones Adapter on my E-M1X and sometimes with STF-8 flash. Unfortunately it doesn't Focus Stack which can be very useful for insects sometimes - Depending if they stay still for long enough!

As it's not the mini-beast or dragonfly season yet I haven't had a chance to try out my ED 100-400mm for close-up 'macro' work yet. Sorry to go on about it but the new 150-400mm+1.25x will be very interesting for 'macro' because even adding a MC-14 or MC-20 doesn't change the 1.3m Minimum Focus Distance (MFD).

HTH

Last edited:
time will tell I suspect that JIP will want to kick off with a new product though . and as this is already on the road map it makes sense .. not much coming out of Southern hemisphere u.tubers who would I guess be the optimal testers as with most new offerings of late

Back