Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

different P/P regime on this one , done with instructions from another forum poster . I really like this effect ... floats my boat anyway
a splsh of colour by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Couple of old ones from me as I've been busy decorating instead of doing photography.

Robin
by Ajophotog, on ipernity

Brent Geese
by Ajophotog, on ipernity

Haha - me too. In the first lockdown a year ago I decorated the whole house except for the hall, stairs and landing. Being an old victorian house there are many doors and high ceilings but i have now reluctantly started that space. Managed to paint 7 door sides and frames last week and now just 3 to go. :D :oops: :$

Very Nice shot of the geese (y)

Just had my first short outing with the em1x and 100-400
First impressions are it's a breath of fresh air, just so mobile fast and obviously silent. The stabilisation is very welcome and so is the auto focus. I think I'm going to love it

First impressions are it's a breath of fresh air, just so mobile fast and obviously silent. The stabilisation is very welcome and so is the auto focus. I think I'm going to love it
I tend to use the mechanical shutter its a bit louder but feels right

to be fair i have used the mechanical shutter while practicing at home and its far far quieter than my dslr .

ok so I'm not a pro and to be honest I'm clueless , however if I was comparing my photographs from today with photographs taken on a similar or slightly better weather day with my Nikon gear , I have more "keepers" from my Olympus with out a doubt , iv taken more sharp ( enough for me and my uses ) pictures in less time with less time spent editing and less backache than I would have previously . I cant wait to get to know the 1x better now and get that keeper rate up . excellent all round very happy . if I can figure out how to I will upload an image or 2 but please don't destroy my new found happiness .

Well if that car shot is anything to go by ,you will do well .

.... That combo is a good physical balance I find and I fell in love with my E-M1X from the moment I held one - I came from a Canon 1DX-2 and the M1X is like a scaled down version and not too small.

You may find that the Olympus ED 100-400mm is a bit stiff when zooming - This is due to the weathersealing and it does ease after some use but never becomes loose. I have now shot thousands of images with it and on beaches from sunrise to sunset in all weathers including onshore rain and even fine sand. It is seriously weatherproof!! Hence very reliable and enabling.

my son is learning to drive so...

My point of view by damianmkv, on Flickr

.... As someone who absolutely loves driving I love this shot. Very nicely done.

If I may offer your son a tip about how to best hold the steering wheel (learnt from my police instructor): Holding it at 'quarter-to-three' (like he is in the photo) or at 'ten-to-two' is the best for car control. But don't hook your thumbs over the 'spokes' because if the wheel gets suddenly wrenched out of your hand in a spin or incident it can break/injure your thumbs. I actually experienced this driving a rearwheel drive BMW in the wet on a tight bend, slipped sideways but managed to get her corrected but had very very sore thumbs and wrist. My current car's steering wheel is shaped ergonomically so your thumbs can sit hooked over but it's not a good design - It just makes the steering wheel look good.

Last edited:
to be fair i have used the mechanical shutter while practicing at home and its far far quieter than my dslr .

.... Especially much quieter than Canons which Nikon users call 'Canon Slappers' :D

Personally I much prefer to hear the M1X mechanical shutter so that I know what's going on and everything is performing as it should be. Rather like I absolutely detest driving quiet over-soundproofed cars. Electric cars are lethal.

Thanks - I think he knows exactly the issues you mention.

Unfortunately ( for him ) he was born prematurely with numerous bleeds on his brain which effects his bones ( see his knuckles on the wheel ). To the extent that if he stalls at the lights, taking the handbrake off is very difficult as he doesn’t have the strength.

I don’t think he’s had a lesson in 2 months so I’m trying to take him out as often as laws allow. Tricky as how we were taught is nothing like today’s teachings..

Last edited:
@RedRobin and @damianmkv

I think Robin & I were taught in the same era, though my instructor was a not a police instructor (that was more the bike for me after that time ;) ) I also was taught about the 'thumb position'.....................also how to use a starting handle properly to avoid a broken thumb/hand when using a starting handle ;)

I’m not sure I go back quite that far...

I have a vague'ish memory of the FX3 taxi my dad had for a while and that also had a starting handle.......needed sometimes.....though I don't recall ever cranking that one and anyway that was some years before I drove :LOL:. However my MG Magnette Varitone did occasionally need a crank start :(

My first car was a 1951 Series MM Morris Minor, the only car I've ever owned that was older than me, sometimes the handle was the only way to start it.

I love that shot @damianmkv Best of luck to your son - it sounds like a car with an electronic handbrake might work for him.

I was also taught the quarter to three or ten to two positions on the steering wheel, and not a policeman in sight, but I'm thinking if the wheel gets whipped out of my hands, broken thumbs are probably going to be the least of my worries :)

@Box Brownie I can imagine a starting handle could be vicious - like the kick back on a bike?

Last edited:
You’re right @Bebop but he’s only just 17 and has bought his own car. Unfortunately he can’t afford a newer car ( he likes this one, just needs the gym for the handbrake )

They’re great. His brother is 13 and has his eye on it for 3 years time...

He actually bought it when he was 16 - he had a specific list of “wants” ie 2014 onwards as it has the digital dash, less than 50k miles, certain wheels, certain interior etc etc.

Given that most kids of his age buy a Ford or a Vauxhall, an Abarth 500 was quite liberating but he’s friends with a YouTube’r who has a large Abarth following so perhaps he was swayed..

They’re great. His brother is 13 and has his eye on it for 3 years time...

He actually bought it when he was 16 - he had a specific list of “wants” ie 2014 onwards as it has the digital dash, less than 50k miles, certain wheels, certain interior etc etc.

Given that most kids of his age buy a Ford or a Vauxhall, an Abarth 500 was quite liberating but he’s friends with a YouTube’r who has a large Abarth following so perhaps he was swayed..
Gosh he's done well. I didn't know about Abarth - just looked up the Fiat connection - that Italian style! And the Italians like their cars...

At the end of January 2020 I was in Italy and had a track just next door to the hotel, so I spent some time there with my 12-100 on the Em1ii with a 3 stop filter. I'm not sure if I've shared any pics from here before. On my first attempt they were racing and I really struggled to pan - it turned out I was working against the IBIS!! On my next attempt they were just teaching, so it wasn't so exciting.

My husband was ill at the end of the holiday, followed by the rest of us when we got home and I now think (hope!) that it was covid. So this was our last holiday before all this madness started.

20200131-BC319257-Edit_DxO.jpg

@damianmkv

Good on your lad, and good luck to him:)

One of my customers I saw only 2 times a year had BMW M3 estate......on one visit I saw he had an Abarth 500 and he said the M3 was good but the Abarth was fun. Bearing in mind he lived & worked in Hayle in Cornwall he often used it for runs up to London and back in a day!!!

@Bebop re: starting handle ~ it was never something to be used without knowing the correct usage.

One funny story about using a starting handle......bearing mind the risk of 'kick back' is the compression in the cylinders......most of us that had cars back then did all our own servicing. The one exception was Richard, he proudly turned one day at the favoured hostelry with his new prize possession, a nice looking but old Morris Minor Traveller. I can't recall how he paid for but said he could never seem to start it using the key, it was a flat battery!

But he proudly showed us how well it started on the crank handle......it turned so freely it was like 'winding' up a spinning top....there was b****er all compression i.e. the engine was knackered. To say the least he was no longer so pleased with his new car!

Thank you. I love his Abarth - I have a Golf GTi and a Golf R but for fun, I’ll take my son’s car given the chance. He only dislike is the driving position isn’t the best for me but I can live with that.

@Bebop practice makes perfect (y)

One of my customers I saw only 2 times a year had BMW M3 estate......on one visit I saw he had an Abarth 500 and he said the M3 was good but the Abarth was fun. Bearing in mind he lived & worked in Hayle in Cornwall he often used it for runs up to London and back in a day!!!
Sorry it's all a bit off topic, but I bought a 1970 MG1300 in Hayle when I was on holiday there in 1986. It had 13k miles on the clock if I remember rightly. I kept it until 1996. I was a teacher at the time and the kids thought it was hilarious because it looked like Basil Fawlty's car :ROFLMAO:

And just to get back on topic - I thought this was quite a handy video...

View: https://youtu.be/855ulRaLn3s

Sorry it's all a bit off topic, but I bought a 1970 MG1300 in Hayle when I was on holiday there in 1986. It had 13k miles on the clock if I remember rightly. I kept it until 1996. I was a teacher at the time and the kids thought it was hilarious because it looked like Basil Fawlty's car :ROFLMAO:

And just to get back on topic - I thought this was quite a handy video...

View: https://youtu.be/855ulRaLn3s

:LOL: Basil Fawlty car..........as a family car we had an Austin 1100, nice car that taught me some good 'wheezes' on servicing including how to change its clutch without needing to remove the engine. Plus at least 3 climbing trips to North Wales......our dad bought it but my brother & I hogged its usage :LOL:

Gosh he's done well. I didn't know about Abarth - just looked up the Fiat connection - that Italian style! And the Italians like their cars...

At the end of January 2020 I was in Italy and had a track just next door to the hotel, so I spent some time there with my 12-100 on the Em1ii with a 3 stop filter. I'm not sure if I've shared any pics from here before. On my first attempt they were racing and I really struggled to pan - it turned out I was working against the IBIS!! On my next attempt they were just teaching, so it wasn't so exciting.

My husband was ill at the end of the holiday, followed by the rest of us when we got home and I now think (hope!) that it was covid. So this was our last holiday before all this madness started.

View attachment 307927
dont hope to much ,my daughters a covid ward nurse , had covid ... had the vaccine ... sent home last week to isolate for seven days , went back at the weekend sent home again as another nurse contracted it so self isolating for another seven days .. and people wonder why I get snappy at times :exit: :exit:

Well I decided I would enquire after the
New Olympus 150-400mm today.
So I contacted Clifton Camera's I expected a wait. But I was gobsmacked when I was told 12 months.

Wow 12 months don't they want to sell them it was on my radar until the a1 came out that's a long time to have to wait.

Rob

Wow 12 months don't they want to sell them it was on my radar until the a1 came out that's a long time to have to wait.

Rob

Yeah Rob I was gobsmacked I'm going to try a couple of other outlets today.
I like the Olympus gear for Airtravel small and easy to carry on and it does the job.
The 300-1000 mm is great in the sense you don't have to change lenses and miss the shot.
What I can't understand is once you have all your jigs made and machines set up knocking the lenses out is the simple part. Put your staff on a bit of overtime and you can easily turn out thousands of these lenses and no one else has anything on the market to compete. This would draw people to the Olympus brand and make the firm more viable in the future.
I really think this new firm who have taken over the Olympus brand have slipped up.
Canon
Nikon and
Sony
Won't hang about on there development as long.

Last edited:
Well just spoke to Park cameras
Lead time for the 150-400mm some time next year. Only option I have is to try and pull a few strings with some friends in Japan
If I really want it.

you could join in the zoom meeting on thurs on the olympus u.k forum and ask mark Thackera the head of olympus u.k the questions . anything that comes via a shop assistant has to be taken with a pinch of salt .. i.e scenario if I tell the customer its over a year he might change to Sony etc and I'll still get my commission on a sale

Last edited:
you could join in the zoom meeting on thurs on the olympus u.k forum and ask mark Thackera the head of olympus u.k the questions . anything that comes via a shop assistant has to be taken with a pinch of salt .. i.e scenario if I tell the customer its over a year he might change to Sony etc and I'll still get my commission on a sale

Tried 4 different shops all quoting next year
Delivery Jeff. 2 of them I have been dealing with for years and I am on first names with the mangers. So they know I'm not prone to chopping and changing systems.
With the information available it looks like the production of this lens was woefully under estimated.
I'm guessing Covid has also caused the supply of parts to be an issue if they are outsourcing the parts.

Last edited:
Tried 4 different shops all quoting next year
Delivery Jeff. 2 of them I have been dealing with for years and am I first names with the mangers. So they know I'm not prone to chopping and changing systems.
With the information available it looks like the production of this lens was woefully under estimated.
I'm guessing Covid has also caused the supply of parts to be an issue if they are outsourcing the parts.

That's pretty bad and will not help the brand. Even for those of us who could not contemplate buying that particular lens, it will make people wonder hoe the new owners will perform. The 100-400 is still out of stock at most dealers.

These are questions that need to be asked on Thursday , I presume the man in charge of the u.k part of Olympus will have a accurate answer .. he has verified that warranty repairs to Portugal have started again though paid for repairs will have to wait on a payment system coming online ..
If we as a country are having problems with covid and Brexit , I dread to think what problems a multi national company takeover is having in these times

Back