Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Ooh err missus had rather a good day later doods

o.k home is the hunter weary and tired , walked the most distance I have done in the last year . and took just under 500 mixed variety shots so lots to follow ...heres a starter great crested grebe as it devours a large perch

done fishing by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Very jealous that iv been rushed off my feet with work today and not been able to get out....

Very nice Jeff love the last one .
Rob.

Last edited:
I have just noted that the Olympus e-Shop is now "open" though the new 150-400mm is not listed (yet?)
Lenses - OM-D & PEN Lenses (olympus.eu)

.... Today 1st April on the Olympus e-Shop, the new 150-400mm+1.25x Pro is listed but 'Out of stock' but the ED 100-400mm (released to retailers many months ago) is not listed at all < :thinking: ? ? ?

But HDEW and WEX have the ED 100-400mm listed but WEX only have it on 'Pre-order' and not even 'Awaiting stock'. HDEW's non-UK sources will have it available ready to ship (usually about 5 days) otherwise they would have updated their website accordingly (as usual).

I'm so glad I bought my ED 100-400mm when I did when first launched! I use it more than any other lens :

SISKIN AMONG THE CATKINS by Robin Procter, on Flickr

.... Today 1st April on the Olympus e-Shop, the new 150-400mm+1.25x Pro is listed but 'Out of stock' but the ED 100-400mm (released to retailers many months ago) is not listed at all < :thinking: ? ? ?

But HDEW and WEX have the ED 100-400mm listed but WEX only have it on 'Pre-order' and not even 'Awaiting stock'. HDEW's non-UK sources will have it available ready to ship (usually about 5 days) otherwise they would have updated their website accordingly (as usual).

I'm so glad I bought my ED 100-400mm when I did when first launched! I use it more than any other lens :

Curious!

I’m still occasionally tempted by the 100-400 Robin and you’re not helping [emoji23]

Do you still use your 300mm?

Curious!

I’m still occasionally tempted by the 100-400 Robin and you’re not helping [emoji23]

Do you still use your 300mm?

.... By coincidence I have just been on the phone with Olympus TechSupport for some settings help and at the end we spoke about the new 150-400mm supply - I was asked where I had pre-ordered and when I said WEX they assured me that WEX were a favoured retailer and that their selected UK retailers would be receiving pre-ordered supply before the Olympus e-shop to help make up for all the delays.

When I get mine and assuming I keep it, I will then be selling both my ED 100-400mm and ED 300mm Pro.

I used my 300mm a few days ago for the first time for many months and am very impressed again! Faster AF and F/4 is very valuable but.... no zoom!

.... By coincidence I have just been on the phone with Olympus TechSupport for some settings help and at the end we spoke about the new 150-400mm supply - I was asked where I had pre-ordered and when I said WEX they assured me that WEX were a favoured retailer and that their selected UK retailers would be receiving pre-ordered supply before the Olympus e-shop to help make up for all the delays.

When I get mine and assuming I keep it, I will then be selling both my ED 100-400mm and ED 300mm Pro.

I really can't see the cost of six and a half times in that lens but there again I wouldn't even consider paying it to start with.

My 100-400 never comes off ,I’ll never have 6.5k spare so I don’t give it a second thought

I really can't see the cost of six and a half times in that lens but there again I wouldn't even consider paying it to start with.

.... There you go, it's clearly not for you because you sound is if you are primarily led by cost and not what it potentially offers your photography. It also depends on what subjects you like to photograph.

We all know that £6.5k is a significant amount of money but IMO photography gear is not about what it costs but should be about how it performs to suit your purposes and enjoyment the most. It's the same with cars, tools, and a great many other things. You can either manage to afford it or you can't and then make the best of what you can afford like Jeff does. It does irritate me when some photographers say that a lens or body is more expensive than it should be rather than say they either can't afford it or prefer to spend their money on something else entirely.

My 100-400 never comes off ,I’ll never have 6.5k spare so I don’t give it a second thought

.... Fair enough. My 100-400mm is my most used lens too but sometimes I do find it can have limitations for the subjects I shoot. Once I have spent money I never give it a second thought - I just enjoy what I've bought or sell it if I don't enjoy or use it.

Last edited:
.... There you go, it's clearly not for you because you sound is if you are primarily led by cost and not what it potentially offers your photography. It also depends on what subjects you like to photograph.

We all know that £6.5k is a significant amount of money but IMO photography gear is not about what it costs but should be about how it performs to suit your purposes and enjoyment the most. It's the same with cars, tools, and a great many other things. You can either manage to afford it or you can't and then make the best of what you can afford like Jeff does. It does irritate me when some photographers say that a lens or body is more expensive than it should be rather than say they either can't afford it or prefer to spend their money on something else entirely.
I'm not calling people who wish to purchase the lens Robin, its that I cant see the added value over the 100-400 for the money.
Time will tell (y)

Stunning shot Robin. (y)

I was drawn to this lens by many of the shots on this thread, particularly yours and Jeff's @the black fox.
I managed to get one in the 'second wave' by ordering from Wilkinsons and on my regular walks it hardly leaves the camera.
This may change if the lockdown eases enough for us to get out into the villages, towns and cities for some urban stuff.
My technique is not up to the standard of many in the general Birds thread but this lens makes up for that to a large extent and, I must admit, I get alot of pleasure walking and looking for birds to photograph.

If a company brought out something along the lines of the sigma 150-600 in a MFT thread at a normal price then I might go for it , my pension won’t stretch any further , luckily I have a large family with quiet good jobs and we get occasional treats that enables goodies

I'm not calling people who wish to purchase the lens Robin, its that I cant see the added value over the 100-400 for the money.
Time will tell (y)

..... I understand and respect your thinking and what you are saying. I hope I was not too over defensive in my response to your earlier post.

I wholeheartedly agree that time will tell whether I will keep the lens or return it but there are reasons why I think that I personally am more likely to keep it. I base this thinking on my wildlife experience and almost daily shooting lifestyle - Lockdown has made no difference to my photography and lifestyle other than restrict any trips abroad. On average I shoot between 500-1,000 images every week in all weathers on mostly the ED 100-400mm and 300mm Pro and have lots of experience previously with the Canon 500mm F/4L II.

The added value in terms of shooting which I am expecting the 150mm-400mm+1.25x Pro to offer over the other 2 Olympus lenses it will replace in my arsenal are as follows, not listed in any order of importance :

- Better performance than the 100-400mm in low light due to aperture.

- Faster AF (Olympus claim faster than their 300mm Pro).

- Built-in easily switchable 1.25x option. I often want to mount/unmount my 1.4x but there is neither time nor 'safe-from-the-elements' conditions.

- Even greater reach and flexibility when the MC-14 is also mounted.

- Predetermined-focus allocation buttons (like Canon supertelephoto lenses I have owned/used and which I miss, especially in my hide at home).

- A physically much better balanced (non extending barrel) zoom than the 100-400mm, especially on gimbal/tripod.

- Even better build quality and weatherproofing.

It would replace the two lenses I mention and by also including the sale of other camera gear my net bank balance would then reduce by about £2.5k not £6.5k. So for me personally I consider it worthwhile and highly desirable.

Additionally, any of my Lowepro bag contents would reduce slightly in overall weight and gain internal compartment simplicity.

Last edited:
I think the 150 /400 could be one of the best lenses ever made I would have bought one if i had not gone to Sony I may do one day If i go back to Olympus at a later date .I'm looking forward to seeing what Robin thinks about it .

Rob.

..... I understand and respect your thinking and what you are saying. I hope I was not too over defensive in my response to your earlier post.
Not at all, plus I can understand your reasonings to upgrade.
However I'm always sceptical with sales rep's in general and overly hyped promotions (y)

[QUOTE="GyRob, post: I think the 150 /400 could be one of the best lenses ever made I would have bought one if I had not gone to Sony I may do one day If i go back to Olympus at a later date .I'm looking forward to seeing what Robin thinks about it .[/QUOTE] It better had be at that price.:runaway:

Can anyone tell me how to insert two separate quotes once ive saved the first?

Last edited:
Not at all, plus I can understand your reasonings to upgrade.
However I'm always sceptical with sales rep's in general and overly hyped promotions (y)

[QUOTE="GyRob, post: I think the 150 /400 could be one of the best lenses ever made I would have bought one if I had not gone to Sony I may do one day If i go back to Olympus at a later date .I'm looking forward to seeing what Robin thinks about it .
It better had be at that price.:runaway:

[/QUOTE]

Unless I misunderstood your question.....?

The +Quote between the Like & the <Quote means you can select multiple post to quote..............however, if you mean that you had already used the <Quote (single post quote) but then wanted to add another? The only way I know is to delete the post you just made and start again using the Multi Quote mentioned above ;)

HTH ?

I just hit the quote button, write my reply, then hit the quote button on the second post and reply etc. And then post. Or you can hit the quote button on each post and then insert your replies into the right place, and then post.

@RedRobin I am also keen to hear how you get on with the 150-400 when it arrives. It is an expensive lens, but I’ve no doubt it will be brilliant. Life is short and if you can afford it, then why not?

I'm very interested in the 150-400 it's out of my price range currantly but once it becomes more readily availible I will start to look at ways of raising the cash.

.... There are several ways but what I do is, while my Reply is written but not posted yet and with the first quote already in it, place my cursor where I want to position the second quote from someone else, go to it and click the righthand Quote icon and it will appear complete with its [quote.../quote] enclosure. So really it's repeating the same process as the first part of any Reply with a quote.

Also if you want to split someone's quote so you can write a reply separately to each part of it, copy&paste the first [ quote=...member ] bit and end with simple .../ quote]

I only use TalkPhotography on my desktop computer and it may be much more fiddly etc to do this on a mobile device.

HTH

Last edited:
a male stonechat singing its heart out on top of the cliffs tues
thornbird by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

.... I notice this bird has a leg iron - That annoys me! :mad: The Stonechat is not even on the Amber list. Declining populations of wildlife has never stopped humanbeings from trashing habitats. Except for some rare species benefitting from monitoring, ringing is totally unnecessary and only satisfies trivial academia < All in my strong opinion.

Stonechats have a really big head don't they!

I think the 150 /400 could be one of the best lenses ever made I would have bought one if i had not gone to Sony I may do one day If i go back to Olympus at a later date .I'm looking forward to seeing what Robin thinks about it .
@RedRobin I am also keen to hear how you get on with the 150-400 when it arrives. It is an expensive lens, but I’ve no doubt it will be brilliant. Life is short and if you can afford it, then why not?

.... I'm looking forward to what I think of it too! One day sooner rather than later I hope. I am 74 today and not getting any younger.

I won't go into details but it would probably shock many of you to learn just how low my bank balance is with no income and only the state pension, but I spend so much of my life every day enjoying photography and no-one is guaranteed tomorrow and so I choose to ignore Captain Sensible and any financial advisors!

If I don't like the lens for any reason whatsoever I can return it within 30 days with no questions asked. And if I have to I can sell it later.

Olympus are well known for being very innovative and leading advances in technology and I think that this lens will certainly remain the number one in telephoto zoom lenses until the others catch up. Olympus are still way ahead on weatherproofing.

I loved my Canon but now :olympus:

Last edited:
It better had be at that price.:runaway:

Unless I misunderstood your question.....?

The +Quote between the Like & the <Quote means you can select multiple post to quote..............however, if you mean that you had already used the <Quote (single post quote) but then wanted to add another? The only way I know is to delete the post you just made and start again using the Multi Quote mentioned above ;)

HTH ?
[/QUOTE]
I just hit the quote button, write my reply, then hit the quote button on the second post and reply etc. And then post. Or you can hit the quote button on each post and then insert your replies into the right place, and then post.

I must have been half asleep last night.:sleep: Thanks

I'm very interested in the 150-400 it's out of my price range currently but once it becomes more readily available I will start to look at ways of raising the cash.
And may pick up a used one at a more realistic price of £4-4500 (y)

Good luck with that.
I can see a second one being hardly different to new price for a few years yet.
This is not going to be mass produced lens IMO.

Good luck with that.
I can see a second one being hardly different to new price for a few years yet.
This is not going to be mass produced lens IMO.

.... @dcash29, I think you mean at a more affordable rather than "realistic" price of £4-4500.

But I think that Alf @alfbranch is right in that the price won't drop for as long as perhaps 2 or 3 years and even then not a substantial drop. Suppliers like HDEW won't even be able to get hold of them for a similar time. I make this suggestion based on experience of seeing the supply of other flagship lenses. HDEW and WEX are my main and favoured suppliers.

Alf is also right about this lens not being mass produced. Reading the long and very informative interviews with both the Japanese OMD management and design teams, it is not a lens they are able to simply switch on the lights in a production line corridor like in car manufacture and then mass produce. I speculate when I suggest that future production of this lens may be in batches rather than based on a longer term guesstimated production run, but of course I am not party to OMD management level decisions.

OMD Olympus Japan freely admit that they have underestimated demand but they have also stated that all the pre-orders via their selected retailers (that includes mine via WEX) will be honoured first, even before the Olympus e-shop. I understand directly from Olympus that this is being done as a goodwill gesture because pre-order customers have had to be very very patient. Pre-orders are orders they have actually received and not future orders they might get via a shop.

What this means in the real world of Supply + Demand = Price, is that a even a used ED 150-400mm+1.25x Pro in good condition is likely to sell for about £6,250 until 2022 and even possibly later. Sure, we don't know for certain but it's not a wild guess.

It may help people to understand the relatively higher cost of flagship telephoto lenses to simply cast their eye over the internals, especially zooms with motors and movable glass elements, and also be mindful of all the research and design development costs over several years prior to launch.

E-M1X.jpg

Last edited:
Happy Birthday @RedRobin! Hope you spend the day enjoying taking photographs.

I think we are all lucky to find something that we love spending time doing. I could say spending money on too [emoji23] It is a bit of a hole to throw your money into, but at least it gives a lot of pleasure.

I agree with what you are saying Alf
RR - "Supply + Demand = Price" - well they've certainly hyped it up and got everyone's knickers in a twist :ROFLMAO:
We'll agree to disagree for now as I stand by my opinion -> Realistic. (y)

Last edited:
RR - "Supply + Demand = Price" - well they've certainly hyped it up and got everyone's knickers in a twist :ROFLMAO:
We'll agree to disagree for now as I stand by my opinion -> Realistic. (y)

.... Hmm, I'm interested in better understanding your point.

Are you of the opinion that OMD Olympus have intentionally created a hyped up situation? 'Hyped up' in the sense of deception?

Your term 'realistic' is somewhat subjective if you think of it as meaning 'sensible'. Realistic for who?

I am assuming you are an Olympus photographer - What subjects do you mostly shoot? Do you use telephoto lenses? If you totally ignore the price or imagine for a moment that it was priced at less than say £1,000, would you enjoy having it in your camera kit to shoot with? Would you buy it or is it just price which would hold you back?

I’m in a bit of a quandary at the moment ,been looking at another body to use with my m/f macro lens , the one criteria being it needs decent focus peaking ...
Now having looked at the pen e.pl series models 7/8/9 which each have incremental advances on the previous ones and vary in price a fair bit some with lenses others without , but I have just spotted a good deal on a new omd10-mkiii. Which will give me the benefits of 5 axis I.b.I.s and a EVF . . It also gives me a spare half decent body if my mkii goes back for warranty work .
Gonna sleep on this overnight hmmmm

.... Hmm, I'm interested in better understanding your point.

Are you of the opinion that OMD Olympus have intentionally created a hyped up situation? 'Hyped up' in the sense of deception?

Your term 'realistic' is somewhat subjective if you think of it as meaning 'sensible'. Realistic for who?

I am assuming you are an Olympus photographer - What subjects do you mostly shoot? Do you use telephoto lenses? If you totally ignore the price or imagine for a moment that it was priced at less than say £1,000, would you enjoy having it in your camera kit to shoot with? Would you buy it or is it just price which would hold you back?

Robin, I just can't see a 6x improvement over the 100-400, therefore I wouldn't pay it. However, if somebody else does and thinks it's worth it that is their opinion.
I dont shoot Olympus at present but like to keep my eye on the format

Last edited:
I’m in a bit of a quandary at the moment ,been looking at another body to use with my m/f macro lens , the one criteria being it needs decent focus peaking ...
Now having looked at the pen e.pl series models 7/8/9 which each have incremental advances on the previous ones and vary in price a fair bit some with lenses others without , but I have just spotted a good deal on a new omd10-mkiii. Which will give me the benefits of 5 axis I.b.I.s and a EVF . . It also gives me a spare half decent body if my mkii goes back for warranty work .
Gonna sleep on this overnight hmmmm

I think that the OMD E-M10 iii is very good value for money and I think that your reasoning is sound.
I have an original E-M10 on which I keep a small lens permanently and it does a good job for particular circumstances and the mk iii has the 5 axis ibis improvement , better sensor etc. Thom Hogan considers that the E-M1 Mark III, the Pen-F, and the E-M10 Mark III are the stand out designs in the range.

Back