Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I think that the OMD E-M10 iii is very good value for money and I think that your reasoning is sound.
I have an original E-M10 on which I keep a small lens permanently and it does a good job for particular circumstances and the mk iii has the 5 axis ibis improvement , better sensor etc. Thom Hogan considers that the E-M1 Mark III, the Pen-F, and the E-M10 Mark III are the stand out designs in the range.
just took a spur of the moment and bought a e-pl7 as new condition plus 14-42 +15mm +flash+bag/case its what I wanted to do originally and will keep the big camera and lens totally separate I can then use the new one for general purpose stuff plus macro , it also expands my range of available lenses for other projects

Last edited:
jackdaw at the local castle mid week
jacks back by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

.... Great shot and image quality Jeff! Really nicely processed too.

But you do realise don't you that when my lens costing 6 times as much eventually comes, my image shooting alongside you will be 6 times as good :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :exit:

It remains to be seen but actually in such light conditions as your Jackdaw I don't think it would be 6x as good or indeed any better. It's in lower light conditions where I expect and hope the difference will be, although not 6x which afterall is limited to being solely a financial comparison. Most people judge everything by what they paid for it but I'm not 'most people'. I agree with @dcash29 when he says that what matters is what something is worth to you the individual. You probably agree too.

It's like high performance cars - To modify a car from standard 200bhp to 250bhp Stage1 costs money but to up it to 500bhp costs many times more - The technology and components needed are at a higher incremental cost. It's the same with lenses and not just Olympus.

Last edited:
I love my Olympus M4/3 equipment but, the one thing I don't like is the vivid green it produces on very bright days, it to me seems way to bright and cartoon like. I easily adjust it dialling in -20 to -10 on the green saturation and luminance channel which I prefer. What is your biggest annoyance with the system? Does the vivid green annoy anyone else or do my eyes just see it differently :D?

Last edited by a moderator:
.... Great shot and image quality Jeff! Really nicely processed too.

But you do realise don't you that when my lens costing 6 times as much eventually comes, my image shooting alongside you will be 6 times as good :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :exit:

It remains to be seen but actually in such light conditions as your Jackdaw I don't think it would be 6x as good or indeed any better. It's in lower light conditions where I expect and hope the difference will be, although not 6x which afterall is limited to being solely a financial comparison. Most people judge everything by what they paid for it but I'm not 'most people'. I agree with @dcash29 when he says that what matters is what something is worth to you the individual. You probably agree too.

It's like high performance cars - To modify a car from standard 200bhp to 250bhp Stage1 costs money but to up it to 500bhp costs many times more - The technology and components needed are at a higher incremental cost. It's the same with lenses and not just Olympus.
Robin if you got the cash go for it, I would, saying that I would be 6x more annoyed if I scratched it, dropped it or it failed to impress me. I'm sure the latter wouldn't happen though. Looking forward to hearing your comments re the lens once it is finally in your mitts ;)

I love my Olympus M4/3 equipment but, the one thing I don't like is the vivid green it produces on very bright days, it to me seems way to bright and cartoon like. I easily adjust it dialling in -20 to -10 on the green saturation and luminance channel which I prefer. What is your biggest annoyance with the system? Does the vivid green annoy anyone else or do my eyes just see it differently :D?

Can't say that I have noticed green being too vivid.......................but then I only shoot raw so can I surmise you are using JPEG and thus relying on the incamera JPEG processing 'settings'?

As for an annoyance......................well, actually more an irritation ~ I still lose my way in the Menu but the "My Menu" in the Mk3 looks like it is going to help by allowing me to maintain my own accessible listing of settings I would use/need rapid access to more often :)

Can't say that I have noticed green being too vivid.......................but then I only shoot raw so can I surmise you are using JPEG and thus relying on the incamera JPEG processing 'settings'?

As for an annoyance......................well, actually more an irritation ~ I still lose my way in the Menu but the "My Menu" in the Mk3 looks like it is going to help by allowing me to maintain my own accessible listing of settings I would use/need rapid access to more often :)
I only shoot RAW too, I think I just like the more natural look and not the over saturated look which I seem to get with my MK2 and Classic E-m1's. I do look at my photos on my 2 27" iMacs, a windows 10 Toshiba laptop and my tablets. Like I said it is maybe just my prefference. The menus don't annoy as I do lose my way but find it fun hunting down the item lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I only shoot RAW too, I think I just like the more natural look and not the over saturated look which I seem to get with my MK2 and Classic E-m1's. I do look at my photos on my 2 27" iMacs, a windows 10 Toshiba laptop and my tablets. Like I said it is maybe just my prefference. The menus don't annoy as I do lose my way but find it fun hunting down the item lol
What settings are you using in camera?
What software do you use?

Do you use the camera colour calibration for instance I use camera natural in LR as I find Adobe colours do not look right.

Each to there own on this ,I have mine set to vivid ..this in reality should only affect what you see on camera screen preview .and when you download to lightroom ,although your downloading raw files the computer/Mac etc sees it as a j.peg for viewing purposes , once you start the processing it reverts to a raw image and you then input your own parameters or the programs pre.set ideas of what it looks like .
The beauty of raw is you can change anything in it ..
There are massive variations to in how different brands / models/ types of screens see your image ,and most of us spend thousands on new cameras and lenses and still process on computers that are ten years old

Ah! but which software are you using to 'see' the raw files before you run any post processing changes.

FWIW Fast Raw Viewer ~ I use to do my initial culling and it shoes the actual raw file without the influence(?) of the embedded jpeg, this compared to all other software that will do some default raw processing when you view the file in readiness to post process. NB these PP programs will use default or user preference set 'default' when opening the file. So the same file will 'look' different when seen in different programs.

PS as for "look" I grew up enjoying Kodachrome 64 and Fuji Velvia but try as might I never really liked Ektachrome 'coolness' ;)

One thing that used to irritate me was not being able to switch to preview what was on each card... well there is a way to do it which I have only discovered recently thanks to a Rob Trek video.

If anyone hasn’t come across this, I think it’s really handy and I’ve used it just this morning....

Press the preview button, and it will show you the last image. Now, if you hold the Preview button and turn the front dial, it will give the option to switch to the other card, rotate the dial and it will then preview the images on the other card.

Edit: no problem with greens for me

One thing that used to irritate me was not being able to switch to preview what was on each card... well there is a way to do it which I have only discovered recently thanks to a Rob Trek video.

If anyone hasn’t come across this, I think it’s really handy and I’ve used it just this morning....

Press the preview button, and it will show you the last image. Now, if you hold the Preview button and turn the front dial, it will give the option to switch to the other card, rotate the dial and it will then preview the images on the other card.

Edit: no problem with greens for me

Can't recall exactly where or when I learned of that 'way' to switch review from card to card but I do recall the frustration and oddness of the lack of function to see what was on card #2.....................actually I think it was mentioned in the Mk2 manual :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Ah! but which software are you using to 'see' the raw files before you run any post processing changes.

FWIW Fast Raw Viewer ~ I use to do my initial culling and it shoes the actual raw file without the influence(?) of the embedded jpeg, this compared to all other software that will do some default raw processing when you view the file in readiness to post process. NB these PP programs will use default or user preference set 'default' when opening the file. So the same file will 'look' different when seen in different programs.

.... I use Fast Raw Viewer [FRV] to do my initial culling too and the image files are initially imported from my camera card into an external HD. When viewed in FRV before the RAW data is converted in a RAW Editor (Capture One in my case), the images look as dull as dishwater and discouraging, but.

I also have ON1 Photo RAW 2021 installed but have never used it for the initial RAW conversion to compare the same files with Capture One.

I simply never shoot JPEG, not even on my Olympus TG-6 pocket camera. And so Card 2 is the extra 64GB I write to when Card 1 is full (not often!).

Btw, I would strongly advise anyone shooting ProCapture or video etc on their Olympus M1-series to invest in fast UHS-II 299MB/s cards to avoid buffering delays. But not all the M1-series will take UHS-II in both their slots like the M1X does.

What settings are you using in camera?
What software do you use?

Do you use the camera colour calibration for instance I use camera natural in LR as I find Adobe colours do not look right.
I use lightroom cc and ps mainly, l do have other sw like on1 and Luminar 4, I shoot Raw and in camera settings as are natural s rgb for the most part. My newer iMac 2020 and the older 2014 both display images that are very close in colour the older iMac has been calibrated using a colourmunki. The laptop shows very slightly colder and the tablets look slightly warmer, all are very close in colour. It isn't that difficult to change tbh.

PS as for "look" I grew up enjoying Kodachrome 64 and Fuji Velvia but try as might I never really liked Ektachrome 'coolness' ;)
Yes, I use FastRawViewer to go through my cards before loading up onto my computer storage. Great program.

I used to have something similar with the yellow tint on greens and the blue skies which required orange subtraction to correct.

On the question of green vibrancy I don't have any colour problems via my E-M1X which are both set 'Natural' and 'sRGB'.

I have been told by two independent sources that Mac screens are quite consciously designed to appeal to consumers rather than editing professionals. Images I edit on my 27-inch calibrated EIZO monitor look slightly different when later viewed on either my MacBook Pro, iPad, or iPhone, the three of which look exactly the same as each other.

Compared with shooting on my Canon 1DX-2, the Olympus colour recipe does look a bit more harsh on subjects shot in very bright sunlight. But that's probably down to DoF and contrast.

There are so many variables in each of our workflows starting with camera settings and at every stage of processing. To complicate matters further, we each see colour slightly differently!

Great Tit_M1X7546 @ by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
I use lightroom cc and ps mainly, l do have other sw like on1 and Luminar 4, I shoot Raw and in camera settings as are natural s rgb for the most part. My newer iMac 2020 and the older 2014 both display images that are very close in colour the older iMac has been calibrated using a colourmunki. The laptop shows very slightly colder and the tablets look slightly warmer, all are very close in colour. It isn't that difficult to change tbh.

I also use LR and PS and colormonki (I need to calibrate)
The in camera settings matter less that the LR settings so LR would default to Lightroom colour which I do not like so I set LR to Camera natural. You could be suffering this more than others due to your processing style which is darker than many.

photography is a art form .I love Olympus's fully saturated colours reminds me of what you used to get with fuji 35mm slides as opposed to kodaks wishy washy colours .each to there own its entirely personal if we all did the same how boring would that be

anyway more of tues GCG fully saturated :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

gliding through by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

nice perch by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
On the subject of the inconveniences of needing to delve into the depths of the Menu settings which was mentioned earlier in this thread :

It has taken me a while but by discovering that by pressing the 'OK' button while viewing (on the E-M1X), the Super Control Panel [SCP] is then displayed in either the EVF or the rear LV screen. By navigating around the SCP with the stubby joystick ('Multi-selector'] and than pressing 'OK' again, you can subsequently use the scroll wheels to select and enable/disable various options. Doing all of this on the fly while still in the EVF is extremely useful. The SCP is helpfully displayed with a degree of transparency when in the EVF.

Also by saving various sets of settings to the mode dial's C1/C2/C3, this can be an instant shortcut. For example, I have all the appropriate settings for shooting ProCapture allocated to mode C1 and to return to all of my Manual settings at once I just dial mode M.

By using the Olympus app 'Workspace' you can save all your customisations to the app. They are dated by default. This means that you can have all your customisations backed up and also that if you have two identical Olympus bodies running exactly the same Firmware (important), you can match the bodies to behave and respond in exactly the same way. I find this beyond just helpful.

I moved from a Canon 1DX-2 (and mirrorless EOS-R) to the Olympus E-M1X and the Oly is very similar ergonomically to the 1DX-2 but being mirrorless it opens up many superior options in my opinion.

I have been shooting Olympus E-M1X since November 2019 and absolutely love it! :olympus:

Last edited:
Last edited:
starling in the front garden taken through d/glazing from my luxury leather settee hide :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

.... Welsh window cleaners obviously do a much better job than English ones! :LOL:

Sorry for my ignorance but what is "workspace"?

.... Have you registered your Olympus products? It's free on the website. It's a bit limited but has its uses and there are online reviews of it :

Thank you for the heads up, it appears the batch processing and rating might help me speed up my editing and culling, shame I learn things slower than tectonic plate shifts.

Grey Heron in the sun, just before the snow came.

If I had the 150-400 I'd get a 14 times better image ;)

.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Very good! That made me laugh out loud. Great shot and quality (and in great sunlight ;)).

Last edited:
None too sure whether the update servers will 'carry' the most recently released firmware(s) but I spotted that the Mk3 (version 1.3) and the M1X (version 2.1) had a new version dated 6th April but it has yet to show the 'main' user site service page.......but is here
Joint update service for OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM - OLYMPUS Digital Camera (olympus-imaging.jp)

In both cases the update covers these 2 elements:-
  • USB transmission with Mac equipped with M1 chip is now supported.
  • Stability of connection with ATOMOS products has been improved.
But as mentioned it does not yet list on this page (M1X in the case of this linky (anyone clicking on it in the next day or two might see it has updated ;) )
E‑M1X - Services & Support - Olympus - Downloads (olympus-europa.com)

.... Excellent!!

Surely not shot from your leather armchair hide!?
no robin a foray into the wilderness yesterday dodging snow showers

Cormorant finding the worst background to dry his wings

Cormorant - wing drying by Pete Banks, on Flickr

.... A wide open aperture of F/4.5 on a certain unmentionable lens costing 14 times as much would have helped :D:D:D;). I'm teasing you back of course but different lenses do have different bokeh. F/4 on the less expensive Olympus ED 300mm Pro too but without the benefit of zoom.

Joking apart you just have to go with what you're presented with when shooting wildlife - Great capture of a splendid bird's typical behaviour.

lovey cormorant but as you say the BG is a bit rough -these things happen lol

Rob.

juvenile thrush in defensive mode just seen off a blackbird
branch line by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

.... Are you sure that's not a female Blackbird Jeff? The distinguishing features do not look like either of the Thrushes to me.

Female Blackbirds are also well known for chasing males away! This is definitely a female Blackbird (resident in my wildlife garden) and I have many more photos of female Blackbirds though not on Flickr :

BLACKBIRD ON FROSTY BRANCHES by Robin Procter, on Flickr

JUVENILE BLACKBIRD ON ALERT by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back