Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

you could well be right robin . now altered to much on my mind LOL

Last edited:
acquired a new toy yesterday a olympus E-PL7 camera in as new condition with a couple of lenses, plus extras spent all day updating firmware and inputting settings to my own requirements . bought it to save changing lenses out in the field i.e long range to macro etc. and also as a back-up if mine needs any warranty work (it does new grips needed) so I tried it out this morning with the 100-400 attached looks weird but works fine new kid on the block 1.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Jeff looks sharp enough to me.

Rob.

acquired a new toy yesterday a olympus E-PL7 camera in as new condition with a couple of lenses, plus extras spent all day updating firmware and inputting settings to my own requirements . bought it to save changing lenses out in the field i.e long range to macro etc. and also as a back-up if mine needs any warranty work (it does new grips needed) so I tried it out this morning with the 100-400 attached looks weird but works fine View attachment 314920

.... Seeing this reminds me of when I mounted my tiny Canon M5 (+ Adapter) on my Canon EF 500mm F/4L II supertelephoto. I couldn't get on with the physical balance in the field but on a tripod the small body didn't matter - The M5 sensor was the same as the 7D mk2. The combo resulted in me changing the mirrorless M5 for a mirrorless EOS-R.

Does this little camera have a viewfinder or only Live View?

What's the yellow (silicone rubber?) band for please Jeff?

.... Seeing this reminds me of when I mounted my tiny Canon M5 (+ Adapter) on my Canon EF 500mm F/4L II supertelephoto. I couldn't get on with the physical balance in the field but on a tripod the small body didn't matter - The M5 sensor was the same as the 7D mk2. The combo resulted in me changing the mirrorless M5 for a mirrorless EOS-R.

Does this little camera have a viewfinder or only Live View?

What's the yellow (silicone rubber?) band for please Jeff?
1 it’s live view only Robin ,though I do believe you can buy viewfinders (expensive )

2 the lens band it’s to curtail the habit of the lens to zoom back out a bit while in the car hide , I noticed it was to easy to pull back a bit in constrained places this puts a minute tension on it and stops it . I always said the zoom lock should have been at the 400 mm end .had it in the drawer and it works

1 it’s live view only Robin ,though I do believe you can buy viewfinders (expensive )

2 the lens band it’s to curtail the habit of the lens to zoom back out a bit while in the car hide , I noticed it was to easy to pull back a bit in constrained places this puts a minute tension on it and stops it . I always said the zoom lock should have been at the 400 mm end .had it in the drawer and it works

.... I wish my Olympus TOUGH TG-6 had a viewfinder option! It's a major P.I.T.A. when reflections obscure your view in the Live View.

Now if by hook or by crook you spent £6.5k on an unmentionable Olympus white telephoto zoom :LOL: , you could lock the zoom at any focal length like the Canon white L lenses do. Plus the white Oly doesn't physically extend its zoom barrel like the ED 100-400mm does and consequently the big white lens can maintain balance. :exit:

When shooting through my camo net curtain in my KitchenWindow Hide (very often and every day) the extending zoom on my ED 100-400mm can get snagged in the netting if I have to zoom very quickly back to 100mm. I always prefer zoom lenses which don't extend the barrel but do it all internally - The Oly 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro zooms internally and is a fabulous lens (and works superbly with the 2x MC-20).

KitchenWindow Hide_0955.jpg

Last edited:
@RedRobin I used those charity bands on my 40-150 pro to cover the lugs when I take the tripod ring off. They seem to be useful for so many little things.

.... We all use our cameras differently don't we :). I never take my tripod collars off any of my lenses, partly because I often shoot on and off a tripod/monopod at a moment's notice but also because I never use a camera strap (except when parking on a Peak Design across the chest + Arca-Swiss clamp, needing a tripod collar!) and the lens collar acts as a very good handle. Dare I mention the Oly Big White One which has its tripod collar specifically designed to work as a carrying handle too. A case of Olympus considering how their products are used in the real-world and designing for it. Yes I am an Olympus FanBoy just as I was a Canon FanBoy - Love the one you're with < as sung by Stephen Stills of CSNY back in the heady days of the 1970s.

.... We all use our cameras differently don't we :). I never take my tripod collars off any of my lenses, partly because I often shoot on and off a tripod/monopod at a moment's notice but also because I never use a camera strap (except when parking on a Peak Design across the chest + Arca-Swiss clamp, needing a tripod collar!) and the lens collar acts as a very good handle. Dare I mention the Oly Big White One which has its tripod collar specifically designed to work as a carrying handle too. A case of Olympus considering how their products are used in the real-world and designing for it. Yes I am an Olympus FanBoy just as I was a Canon FanBoy - Love the one you're with < as sung by Stephen Stills of CSNY back in the heady days of the 1970s.
I think I'm a bit of a camera tart then as I still use and love both Canon and Olympus :LOL: I leave my tripod collar on my Oly 300mm and the Canon 100-400 too. I have never used a monopod or tripod with the 40-150, so it seems silly to carry it around, but I do appreciate Olympus providing it.

I am very envious of you getting the big white one. I'd love to have a go with one and see how long I could use it before I'd want a monopod attached.

I think I'm a bit of a camera tart then as I still use and love both Canon and Olympus :LOL: I leave my tripod collar on my Oly 300mm and the Canon 100-400 too. I have never used a monopod or tripod with the 40-150, so it seems silly to carry it around, but I do appreciate Olympus providing it.

I am very envious of you getting the big white one. I'd love to have a go with one and see how long I could use it before I'd want a monopod attached.

.... I nearly always shoot on a tripod for my surf photography and also in my KitchenWindow Hide. So before I got the Oly 100-400mm I used the 40-150mm + 2x MC-20 on tripod.

The Big White One will replace both my 100-400mm and 300mm but not my 40-150mm Pro and so will be tripod mounted a lot. I do have a concern about how long I will be comfortable shooting in the field on walkabout without my monopod but we'll see.

Charmouth RP_TG212970 @.jpg

^ ^ ^ Don't talk to me unless you've got cake!

The vf-2, vf-3 or vf-4 fit. I found the vf2 very useful when I used my epm2 as it tilts, useful on a tripod. Haven’t looked to see what they sell for now.
They recommend the e.vf4 for that model around £130 used it can wait

Just took a gamble , bought another Chinese lens a xiaoyi 42.5 mm f1.8 a used one from e.bay ,got a good review from Robin Wong on u.tube .. u.k seller ,might even be on here ? But at £50 for a f1.8 Af lens it was worth a punt ,getting to be quiet a fan of these new breed of Chinese lenses . Time will tell fingers crossed

Last edited:
And now as a break from photos of birds, here is a photo I shot yesterday of my daughter's private studio she uses for painting. Yes it is a bit 'derelict' but there is no water ingress and so it's quite sound. Designed by John Nash in 1806, but that has little to do with photography.

I don't often use my Olympus ED 12-40mm F/2.8 Pro but I love this lens when I do. I originally bought it from someone in this thread.

MY DAUGHTER&#x27;S PRIVATE STUDIO by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
And now as a break from photos of birds, here is a photo I shot yesterday of my daughter's private studio she uses for painting.

I don't often use my Olympus ED 12-40mm F/2.8 Pro but I love this lens when I do. I originally bought it from someone in this thread.

Great picture Robin. Good to see some love for the 12-40

Great picture Robin. Good to see some love for the 12-40

.... Thanks Trevor!

I really love my 12-40mm for general purpose and its Pro spec level of weatherproofing is invaluable to me. I usually have it (mounted on my second M1X) with me when on the beach photographing surfers in all weathers.

JURASSIC RAINBOW IN HAIL by Robin Procter, on Flickr

FWIW worth I bought the VF-4 for my E-PL5 a few years back. They used to come in a bundle with the more expensive PEN P5.
It's very nice, well made etc. but I didn't actually use it much as it made the camera awkward to put in the bag.
I sold it elsewhere for somewhere north of £100 back in 2017.
Given what an E-M10ii costs used and how close it is in size to the PEN I think you'd be better served with one of those if an EVF is needed.

Robin with a snack

Snack time by Pete Banks, on Flickr

.... Robin with a snack for its young, not for itself because it would have already been gulped down. Robin pairs, like some other birds (especially Kingfishers), also sometimes pass food to each other to take to the nest - I photographed this in my garden a couple of days ago < Not a great photo though but more of a 'record' shot.

Nice to see the ED 40-150mm + 2x MC-20 combo in good use - Lovely photo.

And now as a break from photos of birds, here is a photo I shot yesterday of my daughter's private studio she uses for painting. Yes it is a bit 'derelict' but there is no water ingress and so it's quite sound. Designed by John Nash in 1806, but that has little to do with photography.

I want to live there. How inspiring.

.... Robin with a snack for its young, not for itself because it would have already been gulped down. Robin pairs, like some other birds (especially Kingfishers), also sometimes pass food to each other to take to the nest - I photographed this in my garden a couple of days ago < Not a great photo though but more of a 'record' shot.

Nice to see the ED 40-150mm + 2x MC-20 combo in good use - Lovely photo.

This has just added confusion to my next zoom purchase. After playing with my Tamron 200mm I figured the 100-400 Olympus would be my next major purchase but then I see the results from the 40-150Pro + TC and I think.....hmm! Not quite the same reach of course but.....! Who knows; the next purchase is some months away anyway.

Great image of the Robin for sure.

Back