Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

This has just added confusion to my next zoom purchase. After playing with my Tamron 200mm I figured the 100-400 Olympus would be my next major purchase but then I see the results from the 40-150Pro + TC and I think.....hmm! Not quite the same reach of course but.....! Who knows; the next purchase is some months away anyway.
I went for this combo because of the faster apature I get with the TC off, really good for the winter walk around the woods. Also the lightest and smallest of the Oly big lenses.

That scene was begging for a rock to be thrown in Alf :D
Great couple of shots. ;)

You keep your rocks to yourself :mad:
Do you know how hard it is to get relictions like that

This has just added confusion to my next zoom purchase. After playing with my Tamron 200mm I figured the 100-400 Olympus would be my next major purchase but then I see the results from the 40-150Pro + TC and I think.....hmm! Not quite the same reach of course but.....! Who knows; the next purchase is some months away anyway.

.... It's exactly as @Pete B says :
I went for this combo because of the faster aperture I get with the TC off, really good for the winter walk around the woods. Also the lightest and smallest of the Oly big lenses.

I have kept my 40-150mm Pro when I bought the Oly 100-400mm - As always with lenses, it's Horses-for-Courses depending on the subject you are shooting. The only time I take both these lenses out on a trip are for steam trains (which I plan to do tomorrow). I will sell my Oly 100-400mm when my pre-ordered 150-400mm+1.25x Pro eventually arrives but will keep my 40-150mm Pro as it can be extremely useful.

Just so you know, although the Oly 100-400mm is not a Pro spec build, Olympus have stated that its weathersealing is Pro spec and I can absolutely testify this as true as I have been out shooting in constant rain and even hail showers with it on tripod stood on beaches for hours.

.... It's exactly as @Pete B says :

I have kept my 40-150mm Pro when I bought the Oly 100-400mm - As always with lenses, it's Horses-for-Courses depending on the subject you are shooting. The only time I take both these lenses out on a trip are for steam trains (which I plan to do tomorrow). I will sell my Oly 100-400mm when my pre-ordered 150-400mm+1.25x Pro eventually arrives but will keep my 40-150mm Pro as it can be extremely useful.

Just so you know, although the Oly 100-400mm is not a Pro spec build, Olympus have stated that its weathersealing is Pro spec and I can absolutely testify this as true as I have been out shooting in constant rain and even hail showers with it on tripod stood on beaches for hours.
Thanks Robin, the weathersealing aspect is comforting to hear. Have fun with the trains tomorrow (where will you be?), I do enjoy seeing pictures of those grand machines.

Thanks Robin, the weathersealing aspect is comforting to hear. Have fun with the trains tomorrow (where will you be?), I do enjoy seeing pictures of those grand machines.

.... I plan to be on the Swanage Railway, Dorset.

This shot is on a different railway but on Olympus 40-150mm Pro. This will only be my second outing to Swanage Railway since swopping from Canon to Olympus :

SPACESHIP 92212 IN ACTION ON THE 'WATERCRESS LINE' by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
my new lens has just arrived a XIAOYI 42.5mm prime with macro facility took a couple of test shots and so far quiet impressed ,and for the grand sum of £50 for a a/f MFT lens I'm not going to complain

Just out of interest, what's the highest iso sensitivity you are happy to use with a noise reduction program?

Just out of interest, what's the highest iso sensitivity you are happy to use with a noise reduction program?
6400 iso recovered some that high with topaz

.... In my case, only ISO 1600. I occasionally use Topaz DeNoise AI but find it patchy and unreliable for my seascape subjects and much prefer Imageonic Noiseware. Regarding noise I have been spoilt by shooting on a Canon 1DX-2 but I have no regrets moving to Olympus.

.... In my case, only ISO 1600. I occasionally use Topaz DeNoise AI but find it patchy and unreliable for my seascape subjects and much prefer Imageonic Noiseware. Regarding noise I have been spoilt by shooting on a Canon 1DX-2 but I have no regrets moving to Olympus.
I get patchy results from topaz if l use jpeg but using tif it works perfectly Robin. Do you edit tif or jpeg? I am an ex Canon user too, I changed just before the e-m5 was released.

I get patchy results from topaz if l use jpeg but using tif it works perfectly Robin. Do you edit tif or jpeg? I am an ex Canon user too, I changed just before the e-m5 was released.

.... I never shoot JPEG, only RAW and so Topaz converts my RAW ORF file to a TIF for editing. I moved from Canon in November 2019.

Having said that, I am thinking of testing writing JPEGs to the second card slot in my M1X (RAW to the first card) just for reference and comparison.

.... I never shoot JPEG, only RAW and so Topaz converts my RAW ORF file to a TIF for editing. I moved from Canon in November 2019.

Having said that, I am thinking of testing writing JPEGs to the second card slot in my M1X (RAW to the first card) just for reference and comparison.
Like you I only ever shoot RAW. I tend to run straight out of Lightroom to Topaz using Tif, like I said using jpeg in topaz gives me problems so only use tif.

I use both LR and PS ,I do my initial editing in lightroom I.e crop and set colours etc , then export to PS where the initial move is to employ topaz de noise .
Others might work differently but it works for me and results speak for themselves

6400 DxO Photolab 4 - Deep prime denoise, Not tried higher.
Hi Pete, how do you find Deep prime denoise, l think Robin uses it and seems to prefer it over Topaz. Incidently, 6400 is as high l would dare go.

tried a few of his ideas out ,TBH I have my set methods which im used to and work well for me so have reverted to them ..

on a sadder note just packaged my mkii up for a warranty repair ,the grip is hanging off yet again .hope its not to long coming back

tried a few of his ideas out ,TBH I have my set methods which im used to and work well for me so have reverted to them ..

on a sadder note just packaged my mkii up for a warranty repair ,the grip is hanging off yet again .hope its not to long coming back
Well if you don't try you never know l guess, shame about the grip. Not ever had that problem with my camera thankfully.

Well if you don't try you never know l guess, shame about the grip. Not ever had that problem with my camera thankfully.
I have oily skin which is the problem

Nice Pete

Back