Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

as my 1.mkii is wending its way towards Portugal I have some calm down time to play with other stuff . the first try out is my new xiaoyi 42.5mm f1.8 lens on the oly EP-L7 . two test shots of a 99p Star Wars figure from home bargains :LOL: first shot is wide open and normal shooting mode second shot is with the macro mode switched on . I cant really fault this lens it works extremely well and how they do a A/F lens for the price astounds me .. yes its plastic construction... but the glass is pin sharp and does the job .. taking into account I acquired this from e.bay for £50 I'm more than pleased . will do some further outdoor tests today.
simply red by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

dead red by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
ah well ,its now a week since I sent off my mk2 for the grip to be repaired . it reached the olympus-cycleon depot at 7.50am on thurs and I just updated tracking and it still appears to be stuck there .. not really good enough .will keep updating this as its a common problem

I'm bloody fuming my camera which was posted on tues 20th to cycleon apparently has not even left the u.k yet , there blaming Brexit etc for the delay , but I sold a lens on e/bay global shipping on Sunday night by weds it was on its way to the buyer in the e.u . will be reviewing my future with olympus products after this debacle ..
the main selling point when I bought the camera was the extended warranty .wish I had just stuck the grip back on with glue now.

That's really annoying Jeff why Brexit has anything to do with posting a camera and holding it up is crazy it's not like your sending something dangerous that needs a clearance . hope it gets sorted soon.

Rob.

That's really annoying Jeff why Brexit has anything to do with posting a camera and holding it up is crazy it's not like your sending something dangerous that needs a clearance . hope it gets sorted soon.

Rob.
exactly rob theres no v.a.t involved its a used item with full documentation .as I said e.bay can do it the lens I sold sun night I have full courier details for on the continent . totally losing faith with oly no matter how good the results are..
Been looking at Sony and others this week but so far hitting a double brick wall with price and weight .. probably the best bet in my circumstances is a back up high end Olympus body as the cheapest option ,bit like having a spare tyre in the boot for emergency’s

Last edited:
I'm bloody fuming my camera which was posted on tues 20th to cycleon apparently has not even left the u.k yet , there blaming Brexit etc for the delay , but I sold a lens on e/bay global shipping on Sunday night by weds it was on its way to the buyer in the e.u . will be reviewing my future with olympus products after this debacle ..
the main selling point when I bought the camera was the extended warranty .wish I had just stuck the grip back on with glue now.
It's not just Olympus, and probably not actually their fault at all. I had a similar debacle with a Leica repair recently that had to go to Portugal. UPS made a mess of that one and ended up charging import duty on the return which Leica ended up paying.

OOI, What’s the going rate for a used em1.2 ? I’m wanting to sell my 10.2 and samyang FE and go for the 1.2 but dealers are asking more for used than hdew where they are £630 inc p&p

i was hoping £500 ish ( or less of course but ;) )

After a few grim days of concern and worry and a sense of loss ,I have done a lot of research on alternative systems ,the majority don’t suit based on either weight or price .
I came to the conclusion last night my best plan of action is simply to get another mkii body as with damians post above there are a few options which I will explore later today .
I think the grip problem is NOT going to go away but apart from that the camera is pretty well bulletproof ,so another body will simply act as a spare tire so I don’t end up camerless again

I was thinking about a Sony A7ii or iii but when I look at the size of the lenses ( not to mention the cost of them ), I had a reality check. M43 is my lightweight travel system. If I go to Sony, it will stay in the cupboard most likely along with my Nikon stuff and then I’d end up buying a 4th camera :help:

yep been through all the permutations this week , got a A4 page covered with prices and weights etc.. u.tube has took a hammering to .. the ideal would be a mkiii body but I cant stretch to that

I gave my EM-5 ii to my daughter a few months ago because I wasn't using it much but I have been missing it so what to do? Buy a iii of course :) only had it a few days but pretty impressed, ISO 1600 in very challenging lighting -

P1010018.jpg

another from the linnet series ,, my camera is still stuck in the u.k two weeks after posting it off for the grip to be stuck back on .. so while waiting for that to be done or replaced if lost/stolen in transit .. I yesterday bought a 1-mk3 take about a week to arrive so no rush
balancing act by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Hi all

Re: David Thorpe
His is not a name that I immediately recall, though surmise I must have come across him in my mFT journey.... but I see that he has been referenced a few times hereabouts at TP........................so thought I would post what I have noted over at DP Review that he is unfortunately very ill :(

There is on that that thread a link to this announcement by David Thorpe himself
View: https://youtu.be/vXRABA_eUUA

Hi all

Re: David Thorpe
His is not a name that I immediately recall, though surmise I must have come across him in my mFT journey.... but I see that he has been referenced a few times hereabouts at TP........................so thought I would post what I have noted over at DP Review that he is unfortunately very ill :(

There is on that that thread a link to this announcement by David Thorpe himself
View: https://youtu.be/vXRABA_eUUA
David was one of the reviewers of m4/3 that helped me to make my decision to move to M4/3 his pragmatic style of reviews will be sorely missed If as it appears he is very poorly

Sad news indeed ,and he must be a brave man to post like that .

David was one of the reviewers of m4/3 that helped me to make my decision to move to M4/3 his pragmatic style of reviews will be sorely missed If as it appears he is very poorly

Me too, he had a very down to earth delivery and not prone to hype. An easy to listen to voice too.

Sad news indeed ,and he must be a brave man to post like that .

Indeed

Any news on your camera yet Jeff ? I've only had to use Olympus service once before (on my own MK II about 3 years ago when my rear screen went blank 2 months into ownership, and from shipping to getting it back took 5 working days. Alas, under OM digital, I think things have taken a turn for the worse.

According to 43 Rumors, a Version 3.0 update is coming to the EM1X in June this year. Normally with Olympus the full new number firmware revision indicates a major update, where as the sub versions (i.e. 2.1) are incremental and usually just bug fixes. No mention on what's coming, but I would guess improvements to AF and perhaps the starry sky option form the MK III at least ?

Rob.
As of today still no movement ,rather hoping they have lost it now

Back