Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Rookies, check the firmware of the camera and see what you're working with - you could always do a sneaky upgrade while you've got it :D

Will do

I am half tempted get EM10 there a kit at 699 at jessops

I think a EM10 better than EM5 according to some reviews on Olympus site.

Well, I just upgraded and apart from the fact its not trashed my settings which came as a surprise I'd say its a bit better.

CAF test on 2.2 - Took 11, could use 8, would use 3 (was done in three small busts)
CAF test on 3.0 - Took 6, could use 3, would use 2 (just a single quicker walk)

Not scientific at all and my wee lad who I was getting to walk toward the camera was not pleased to be asked to do it again!

This was on the 75mm at 1.8 in my living room walking toward the window but for the 3.0 test the light dimmed (2.2 had 400/500 shutter and all ISO 200 - the 3.0 had 160/200 shutter with ISO at 320 to 400)

More. Testing. Please.

Basically I get my (small) bonus and possibly a promotion next month so I am treating myself but I am still struggling to chose between the 5mk2 (with grip) and the M1 - the M1 having much better C-AF would make the decision very easy...

More. Testing. Please.

Basically I get my (small) bonus and possibly a promotion next month so I am treating myself but I am still struggling to chose between the 5mk2 (with grip) and the M1 - the M1 having much better C-AF would make the decision very easy...
you ruled out EM10 then LOL

I already own an EM10...
Meant say what u gonna do with it. Oops sorry. What making u think of a upgrade??

I can get a 6 month old em 1 with the 12-50mm kit Len with remaining 18 month warranty for £700 hmmm

Not too sure about that lens thou

The EM10 is fantastic by the way but the question is:

1. Run a 2 camera system with the EM10 and EM1 and use the EM1 for more serious shooting
2. Run a 1 camera system with the EM5 mk2 plus grip and have that cover all circumstances

Seeing as image quality is essentially the same, the main driver is to get the better build and, if possible, better C-AF.

If better C-AF isn't on offer then I'll get the EM5 mk2 and sell the EM10, if it is then I'll get the EM1.

I think the EM 1 has got the better C-AF than the 5ii ??

I wonder what a psychiatrist/psychologist would make of this thread recently. riddled with doubt, angst, worry and tortured souls :wacky: I just bought the EM-1 cos it looked really nice ;) even nicer with the grip......................

I'll see what I can do - sadly I'm not that great with it at all and never got and BiF - perhaps if the lights okay I could nip out with some bread tomorrow and have a crack at the gulls with the 100-300, if it can pull that off (which its never managed before) then it'll be better otherwise I'm not too sure how to compare.

Got the 25 1.4 yet Simon ?

Don't put yourself out John, the interweb will be aflood with reviews soon enough.
Thats true enough, there was even feedback on the link posted earlier down in the comments.

Hmmm where else do you look lol bet you won't say lol

Hmmm where else do you look lol bet you won't say lol

I'm guessing he's the Simon who bought the nicely priced one on the e-group forums :)

Or maybe not, I really shouldn't be allowed to guess about stuff.

Last edited:
Just snagged a second E-M1 body, seemed rude not to as I got it for $800NZD (about 400 quid), going to sell my Sony RX1 as it just isn't getting used enough since my first E-M1 arrived.

Should fund a nice lens or two, very tempted to grab the 12-40mm and sell my 12mm Samyang and 17mm Oly (already have the 25mm Pany, 45mm Oly and 75mm Oly).

Argh my head hurts now..

I decided to go for the EM 1 then change mind to a EM10 then back to EM5. and then the Sony A6000

All this doing me nuts even though I have tried them all. It just I can't afford to be messing about..

Argh my head hurts now..

I decided to go for the EM 1 then change mind to a EM10 then back to EM5. and then the Sony A6000

All this doing me nuts even though I have tried them all. It just I can't afford to be messing about..

Well, you can either buy them all or none at all and choose something else entirely, the trouble is I suspect that you will never be entirely satisfied irrespective of what you buy, the image quality of most top of the line makes (Nikon-Canon-Fuji-Olympus-Sony-Panasonic-Pentax) and more that I haven't named is more than good enough for most hobbyists and even a lot of pro's.

I don't print at huge sizes, in fact I rarely get images printed at all, so everything I shoot gets viewed on a screen, it's nice to have the best but for me and I suspect a lot of others out there it's just not needed.

I'm off to lie down now, this thread is starting to me anxious :rolleyes:

Okay, its better - for me much better - granted they were gulls so slow moving with the exception of a dusk that flew by and none are good enough to put on flickr, but of 63 shots I had around 20 duffers, three of those in one burst where I missed focus completely.

That was on the 75mm so sure a very fast focusing lens but with a relatively shallow depth of field, locked in at 1/1600 - my basic method was simply CAF, 9 point selection, half shutter tracking and click.

I've uploaded a few here to a gallery which you can take a look at if you're interested (link)

Last edited:
Okay, its better - for me much better - granted they were gulls so slow moving with the exception of a dusk that flew by and none are good enough to put on flickr, but of 63 shots I had around 20 duffers, three of those in one burst where I missed focus completely.

That was on the 75mm so sure a very fast focusing lens but with a relatively shallow depth of field, locked in at 1/1600 - my basic method was simply CAF, 9 point selection, half shutter tracking and click.

I've uploaded a few here to a gallery which you can take a look at if you're interested (link)

Brilliant, thanks John :)

Those shots are super-sharp and well exposed in tricky conditions too, you've even managed to get the duck in focus!

Brilliant, thanks John :)

Those shots are super-sharp and well exposed in tricky conditions too, you've even managed to get the duck in focus!
I agree they are sharp images those.. Good lens too.. how far was the ISO on those since you had shutter at 1600

Thanks guys - the ISOs were generally 200, although a couple were 320.

I must admit the duck came as a surprise, I used to have trouble with those with the 5D3, I'm guessing it was just luck ;) There was another duck shot, the frame just before which was a little out of focus so was binned.

Argh my head hurts now..

Have you not decided yet?! :)

E-M5 for the 5 axis, incredible iq, and that you'll get a great deal on it. Sorted :)

Great examples John, thanks for posting them.
Now I'm looking forward to downloading the new firmware for my E-M1.

No probs, I'd love to see what you can do with it :)

I'm very tempted to get myself a EM5 II not as a replacement for DSLR though, I used to really like the original EM5 but IMO the CAF wasn't up to much (no complaints with initial focus though or face detect )
I've been told by someone who works for Olympus that it out preforms the EM1 but im going to see a few reviews or first time buyers views before i hit that buy button :)

Back