Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

That one is a given ;)

I've had both John, I should rephrase that.... I had the 35-100 f/2.8 and sold it on when I got the 40-150 f/2.8.
Both lenses offer excellent optical quality, both are splash and dust proof, both focus internally.
The 35-100 is smaller and lighter but looses a fair bit in terms of reach and close up ability. And the big plus is the MC-14 works extremely well with Oly Pro lens (as you would expect).
To my eye a 40-150 shades the 35-100 in image quality and build.
Size of the 40-150, yes it's bigger and heavier but as Photopaque says the hood gives the impression of much more bulk than there is.
I will quite happily walk about with mine on the E-M1 on trek, much lighter and smaller than the Pentax gear I had a few years back.

Here's one from lunchtime today with the 40-150 Pro and the MC-14 @ 210 mm
Nice picture Huw, was this hand held or supported?

been looking at this 40-150 f2.8 there being so many good reports about it, but for the same money i can get a lot more. Really fancy the 60mm macro, and the 75-300 as well as a few other goodies. Any thoughts from people????

Last edited:
I have the 75-300 and its very good for its size. The 60mm macro gets amazing reviews.
For the price of the f2.8 pro you could get a lot of glass. I guess it depends on what you shoot and if the quality difference would be noticeable on the work you do. After all the pro lenses are aimed at the high end........arghh..who am i kidding i want one aswel!!!!!!!

What we gonna do when the 7-14 PRO arrives...hehe

I have the 75-300 and its very good for its size. The 60mm macro gets amazing reviews.
For the price of the f2.8 pro you could get a lot of glass. I guess it depends on what you shoot and if the quality difference would be noticeable on the work you do. After all the pro lenses are aimed at the high end........arghh..who am i kidding i want one aswel!!!!!!!

What we gonna do when the 7-14 PRO arrives...hehe
HaHaHa start worrying about my Credit Card bill!!

been looking at this 40-150 f2.8 there being so many good reports about it, but for the same money i can get a lot more. Really fancy the 60mm macro, and the 75-300 as well as a few other goodies. Any thoughts from people????

I really like my 60mm marco,haven't tried the 75-300mm as I rarely need lens that long :)

I really love the idea of the 3 lens kit ........7-12, 12-40 and the 40-150. I have the dosh (after selling a most of my nikon gear) to buy the 40-150 kit. £1500 is a lot for 1 lens...............HMmmmmm decisions decisions

I really love the idea of the 3 lens kit ........7-12, 12-40 and the 40-150. I have the dosh (after selling a most of my nikon gear) to buy the 40-150 kit. £1500 is a lot for 1 lens...............HMmmmmm decisions decisions
Dont forget the 300 F4 pro!

Nice picture Huw, was this hand held or supported?

Thanks, it was hand held.
Crazily I'd left auto ISO on after doing some C-AF testing post v3.0 (nice) so the ISO was 640 and shutter speed 1/400s. I would normally have taken that shot at around 1/200s or so.

Last edited:
What are these like for long exposure photography and dynamic range? I mainly do landscapes and I do quite like doing long exposures, sometimes up to 4-8 minutes. I think I'm almost at the point of pressing the button on one but not sure which one to get. I think it's going to be to em5 or 10 to test the water for now but I'm thinking if it suits me I could end up selling up Nikon gear and going for the em1 of new 5mkii.

Cheers

The Live Bulb mode helps a lot on long exposures. You watch as the picture builds up on the screen. You stop it when it looks right. You don't need to guess the time or do trial and error.

Live Composite is similar, but you freeze the exposure in the bright areas and let the dark areas continue to expose.

Olympus have always been good with long exposures. With the OM2 being the first camera to TTL meter 'during' the exposure in 1975. This allowed accurately metered 20 or 30 minute exposures even though the light may be changing during the exposure. Other brands followed them about 10 years later.

Last edited:
What are these like for long exposure photography and dynamic range? I mainly do landscapes and I do quite like doing long exposures, sometimes up to 4-8 minutes. I think I'm almost at the point of pressing the button on one but not sure which one to get. I think it's going to be to em5 or 10 to test the water for now but I'm thinking if it suits me I could end up selling up Nikon gear and going for the em1 of new 5mkii.

Cheers

I am in this very process - picked up a cheap EM10 and am now selling most of my Nikon gear. I am keeping the D610 and a couple of lenses for "best" but I haven't used it since getting the EM10 aside from doing some comparison shots.

The Live Bulb mode helps a lot on long exposures. You watch as the picture builds up on the screen. You stop it when it looks right. You don't need to guess the time or do trial and error.
Live Composite is similar, but you freeze the exposure in the bright areas and let the dark areas continue to expose.

Thanks, I don't suppose you've used live composite to stack correctly exposed images to make up a whole image have you? For example, if you take ten 30 second exposures and then stack them using photoshop ect they would create the same effect as one 5 minute exposure. I'm not really talking about star trails etc more like long exposure coastal type shots (if you know the type of thing I mean). It's not a technique I've used before but apparently it's supposed to work.

I am in this very process - picked up a cheap EM10 and am now selling most of my Nikon gear. I am keeping the D610 and a couple of lenses for "best" but I haven't used it since getting the EM10 aside from doing some comparison shots.

How do you find it compared to the D610? I tend to do a lot of sunrise/sets some I'm also wondering about the dynamic range. I don't use grads, just tend to bracket and blend so it shouldn't matter too much but would be nice to know it's capable. I currently use a d7100, my first thoughts was to upgrade to FF and have the OMD as a carry around/days out/holiday camera but my thinking now is if I can have the one system all the better.

EDIT: On another note, what is the 14-42mm ez lens like for a general purpose carry around? Not too sure about the old "Power Zoom" feature

Last edited:
Thanks, I don't suppose you've used live composite to stack correctly exposed images to make up a whole image have you? For example, if you take ten 30 second exposures and then stack them using photoshop ect they would create the same effect as one 5 minute exposure. I'm not really talking about star trails etc more like long exposure coastal type shots (if you know the type of thing I mean). It's not a technique I've used before but apparently it's supposed to work.
Live Composite takes care of it's own stacking. However there is nothing to stop you doing several Live Composite shots and stacking them together. I have an E-M5 which is the only one without Live Composite.

The D610 does have more dynamic range and recoverable highlights but the Oly seems to underexpose a bit and the shadows push fairly well so it is still very usable. I believe the Oly sensor has a similar dynamic range to the Canon 5D3 so it isn't shabby at all. Besides, these cameras have lots of neat tricks and highly customisable features for HDR etc.

In comparison shots the D610 is better but by no way near as much as you might think - you do have to look at 100% and actually inspect the image to see the differences (other than DoF - no real issue for landscape). After a few times I came to the conclusion that if I have to look so closely to tell them apart then the difference isn't really worth worrying about, my mindset has shifted from wanting the "best" to needing "good enough" and the EM10 is miles past the "good enough" line.

Really the only reason I am keeping the D610 is for a wedding I'm shooting this year but equally I can foresee me getting either an EM1 or EM5 mk2 and using two M4/3 cameras for the wedding (17mm on one, 45mm on t'other) as I actually prefer the 4:3 aspect ratio for portrait shots.

I was just going to use the EM10 as my travel camera but actually the system may very well become my only system, the lack of bulk and weight is truly liberating, amazingly so and you can actually forget you have it with you - can't for the life of me understand why I lugged a D700 up Kilimanjaro...

Been out today without a memory card. Gutted as the light was good this morning, the kids were calm, there was deer, country park....... Still, its not as bad as film days when I regularly went out shooting without film on the camera

Been out today without a memory card. Gutted as the light was good this morning, the kids were calm, there was deer, country park....... Still, its not as bad as film days when I regularly went out shooting without film on the camera

I did that the other day - it was still in the card reader..... thankfully I always have a couple more just in case in the front of the bag :D

One of the reasons I always transfer via USB cable rather than remove the card.
I feel for ya.

With a break in the weather this morning there was a bit of an opportunity to do some Red Kite spotting (BIF) from the back garden with v3.0 firmware loaded.
I was using the 40-150 f/2.8 plus MC-14.
Here's a couple from my attempts, quite close crops as none of birds came really close.

Last edited:
With a break in the weather this morning there was a bit of an opportunity to do some Red Kite spotting (BIF) from the back garden with v3.0 firmware loaded.
I was using the 40-150 f/2.8 plus MC-14.
Here's a couple from my attempts, quite close crops as none of birds came really close.

The quality of crops from that lens with TC never fails to impress me - even at 100% they seem nicely sharp.

How was the v3.0 at tracking the bird?

The quality of crops from that lens with TC never fails to impress me - even at 100% they seem nicely sharp.

How was the v3.0 at tracking the bird?

Thanks Ned, I'm pleased to report that the C-AF now very good, the initial lock is a little sluggish but once it's locked it does a good job of tracking the subject.
I think it's now good enough for me to ditch using the rapid S-AF at Air-shows and a like. One pretty pleased E-M1 user :)

Last edited:
True. And to top a good week, the electrician has just put his foot straight through the ceiling.

Is it beer o'clock yet ?

An electricain (my brother) did that at my house too after we saved the sagging ceiling too.

And they've put a screw through the gas pipe. Awesome evening
That was a nail through a radiator pipe by the carpet fitter my cousin.

Last edited:

That the reason I hate the single card slot. I now swap cards when I take the card out and carry spares in my bag even a slow card is better than non

How does the Panasonic 7-14mm handle on the E-M1? I know there was purple flaring on the E-M5 has this been resolved now? Fancy an ultra wide and may keep an eye out for one of these.

That the reason I hate the single card slot. I now swap cards when I take the card out and carry spares in my bag even a slow card is better than non

A dial has fallen off the top of my em5 so it's gone to olympus so I was using my panasonic g6 and a different bag. I had two spare charged batteries though :)

So @Nawty you;re getting the 40-150 ;)

I damn near went for it... Gratz and I'll be expecting a full breakdown :D

@rugeyes That sucks - did it happen for a reason or just pop off?

Back