Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I've just got an ex-pro, so I have 2 spares now. Should be enough...

I have 4 Ex Pro. I keep my olympus one in the body and just top up the battery grip each time with an ex pro. No problems and use the same charger.
A lot of people on here seem to use and recommend the EX PRO so I hope that they are ok ( dont want it knacking me EM-1 :LOL: just cant justify paying olympus prices.................. cos I'm skint:)

So, panning isn't easy....I tried every lens I have :coat: and came to the conclusion that faster long glass is needed :D I'll also use the excuse of the skatepark being in a warehouse which was dimly lit and skaters are unpredictable and fairly slow so I'm at 1/30s on the second one and 1/20s on the last. No chance for flash as I was sitting 10 ft higher than the ramps

Arty farty marmite

a waiting game by damianmkv, on Flickr

My youngest

on the quarter by damianmkv, on Flickr

Some random

grind by damianmkv, on Flickr

It is funny about batteries though. We can spend anywhere between £500-£1200 for the body but won't pay for branded batteries.
I guess it's because we feel they are taking the mickey charging £50 for a battery.

So, panning isn't easy....I tried every lens I have :coat: and came to the conclusion that faster long glass is needed :D I'll also use the excuse of the skatepark being in a warehouse which was dimly lit and skaters are unpredictable and fairly slow so I'm at 1/30s on the second one and 1/20s on the last. No chance for flash as I was sitting 10 ft higher than the ramps

Arty farty marmite

a waiting game by damianmkv, on Flickr

My youngest

on the quarter by damianmkv, on Flickr

Some random

grind by damianmkv, on Flickr

That first one is cracking, very nice indeed with great abstract elements too :)

lol, if only we could harness all this G.A.S ;)

Don't even go there! When it does eventually arrive in the shops I'm not even going to so much as look at it look at it...........well maybe just a little peep:D

It's the grand plan, it will replace my Tokina 300 f/2.8 (well probably not completely because that lens works really nicely with stacked converters for moon shots).

Great stuff :D

I'd love to take a shot like that but the longest lens I have is the Panny 45-200mm.

Great stuff :D

I'd love to take a shot like that but the longest lens I have is the Panny 45-200mm.

Thanks Alan.
Why don't you give an old manual focus 300 or 400 mm lens a try?
I guess it comes down to how much you might make use of it for other subject matter.

Thanks Alan.
Why don't you give an old manual focus 300 or 400 mm lens a try?
I guess it comes down to how much you might make use of it for other subject matter.

I did buy an old 70-210mm and a x2 but to be honest the results are rubbish.

Taking a moon shot which is good enough to frame has been a bit of an ambition of mine so I suppose that I'll have to put my hand in my pocket at some point :D

That new 40mp camera would mean you'd not need so much magnification.

I still have my OM mount Tamron 500mm mirror lens. Which I've tried to shoot the moon with. Very tricky to frame it and keep it steady as well as the fact the moon is constantly moving. And will slip out of the frame in 30 seconds or so.

That new 40mp camera would mean you'd not need so much magnification.

I still have my OM mount Tamron 500mm mirror lens. Which I've tried to shoot the moon with. Very tricky to frame it and keep it steady as well as the fact the moon is constantly moving. And will slip out of the frame in 30 seconds or so.

I guess you don't mean the EM-5 MK2 in this case.

The approximate focal length in the case of the image above was 588 mm. So a field of view similar to a 1200 mm lens on a 35 mm sensor body.
I have also stacked x 1.4 and x 2.0 converters together successfully with the 300 mm Tokina.

Last edited:
I do mean the mk2. Hi res mode would be like having a 1.6x converter.

Sadly it's no good for images of the moon in hi res mode. Shutter speeds should be upwards of 1/125, things are moving too fast for a 1 second 'stationary' image capture.

Yes 1/125 is fine but importantly you need a stationary subject with the MK2 high res mode.
Unless you have a high quality motorised equatorial mount rather than your average tripod setup.

Edit: Sorry Ian I should explained a little better, the high res mode with the E-M5 MK2 reportedly takes at least a second to capture all eight images.
This is of course far too long as the moon moves at a reasonable lick. You need at least 1/125 or faster in my experience otherwise you end up with soft images so at a second or over to make the image you would end up with high res digital mush ;)

Last edited:
Hi guys, quick question please. Don't really get on with the supplied Olympus Neck Straps for my EM1 and EM5 II (too stiff and gaudy). Has anyone got any ideas for a better neck strap and preferably one with quick release fittings so that I can take the strap off when on a tripod etc ?

I bought a shoulder sling that goes from one shoulder to the opposite hip. And connects to one of the camera's lugs with a quick release clip. So it hangs sideways. Very comfortable for walking or cycling around.
Some people connect them to the tripod socket so the camera hangs upside down.
Shoulder straps need a quick release, because they can be bulky and you'll want to remove them for home or tripod use. I have a wrist strap that connects to the same quick release.

Last edited:
It is funny about batteries though. We can spend anywhere between £500-£1200 for the body but won't pay for branded batteries.
I guess it's because we feel they are taking the mickey charging £50 for a battery.
Exactly!!!! ...............it's a rip off. A bit like ink cartridges...... He He He:D

So after much procrastination (and a large bill on the car) I've just ordered an EM1 & 12-40 Pro from Panamoz.

My wife is brill, I've been um-ing and ah-ing for ages and she said "just order the damn thing so you can take photos of our niece at easter". Obviously my EM10, D610 or even V1 wouldn't be able to do that so I had to push the button :D

My wife always says she doesn't care about cameras...I bet she would if I had your gear :)

Pressures on now though...

My wifes just the same - she knows if I mention it three times I'l probably get it and now just says "just get the damn thing", and every now and again encourages me!!

I can always blame the camera :D

When I write it down like that it does look a bit indulgent I guess but I'm planning to shift the Nikon gear as soon as I've confirmed if the EM1 will meet my needs. In anticipations I've sold a few Nikon lenses already but it doesn't help that the second hand market seems really slow at the moment. Ho hum...

The rationalisation is that we get rid of everything bar the EM1 for me, EM10 for her and then a selection of lenses and world peace will ensue. That's the theory anyway...

So after much procrastination (and a large bill on the car) I've just ordered an EM1 & 12-40 Pro from Panamoz.

My wife is brill, I've been um-ing and ah-ing for ages and she said "just order the damn thing so you can take photos of our niece at easter". Obviously my EM10, D610 or even V1 wouldn't be able to do that so I had to push the button :D
You won't regret it had mine since day it was released & still love it. I must sell my Canon gear as I haven't used it since & it is 1DMk11 & 1Ds MkIII stuff

You won't regret it had mine since day it was released & still love it. I must sell my Canon gear as I haven't used it since & it is 1DMk11 & 1Ds MkIII stuff

I picked up the EM10 for a pittance off ebay "just to try" and haven't picked up my FF Nikon kit since. Well, actually I have and then I put it back down again as its so big and heavy in comparison (and to think I bought a D610 as a smaller option to the D700). I've not actually used it though and not felt like I've had to.

Each to their own really but for me, M4/3 is GOOD ENOUGH at everything I want form a camera (except maybe battery life) and therefore it is the best solution for me. I have had the advantage of owning some very good kit so do know whereof I speak but when I have to look at 100% to spot the differences you start to question your motives...

I bought a shoulder sling that goes from one shoulder to the opposite hip. And connects to one of the camera's lugs with a quick release clip. So it hangs sideways. Very comfortable for walking or cycling around.
Some people connect them to the tripod socket so the camera hangs upside down.
Shoulder straps need a quick release, because they can be bulky and you'll want to remove them for home or tripod use. I have a wrist strap that connects to the same quick release.

What make of wrist strap/sling do you have - it sounds like an ideal solution to me !

On Amazon I bought a cheap shoulder sling that had a tripod attachment. As well as a Quick release wrist strap, and a spare quick release clip.

I replaced the tripod attachment with the spare quick release. One half of the quick release from the wrist strap is attached to the camera lug. And I can swap the wrist strap with the shoulder strap. Willy nilly.

Total cost 20€. The alternative, ready to go, cost a lot more money and wasn't quite what I wanted.

Last edited:
...and after all I've said - so tempted with the 40-150 with tc at £1049 - granted an import but in the UK (link)

Last edited:
Back