Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

@milster Check here out (link) I don't now them so cannot endorse but its seems a good price.
Em5 with grip back for sale in classified for £280. That's a great deal.

Cheers guys, I really need to wait a couple of weeks really unless something really cheap comes up in the meantime. I've sort of ruled out the em5 as I'd like some of the features on the em10 that are not on the 5 like focus peaking and wifi

Personally I found magnify more accurate than peaking during my brief go at manually focussing, but the wifi we very good when I used it - granted only once but it was perfect for taking a pic of me of me and the family from a gate post - just got it fully pretty on my phone then clicked behing my back :D

Last edited:
Think I'm going to jump on a em10 when I see one at a good price. I'm enjoying the epl-5 but I'm missing the viewfinder if I'm honest.

You can use the add-on EVF on the epl5 - works very well.

Last edited:
The benefit of a plug in viewfinder is, you can take it off when you want to travel compact. An OM-D has a big lump on it that you can't remove. (easily)
Guys still new to oly em5 anyone use the black and white jpeg setting or convert from raw also is it better to turn off the is if using a monopod?
I convert it on the PC so I can take my time to think about colour filtering. Is there any benefit of in-camera conversion? I doubt it.

IS on a monopod? Not sure.

Last edited:
On Amazon I bought a cheap shoulder sling that had a tripod attachment. As well as a Quick release wrist strap, and a spare quick release clip.

I replaced the tripod attachment with the spare quick release. One half of the quick release from the wrist strap is attached to the camera lug. And I can swap the wrist strap with the shoulder strap. Willy nilly.

Total cost 20€. The alternative, ready to go, cost a lot more money and wasn't quite what I wanted.
Thanks Ian - I'll take a look. At 20 euros it won't hurt too much either way !

Damian - that "Explore" city image is amazing. Where was it taken from? Probably somewhere too high up for me to even contemplate! Good job!

Focus peaking with the em10 was excellent. A fun enjoyable technique. And you can make use of super cheap old lenses. Bingo!
I saw focus peaking for the first time when I tried the EM5ii in the shop. Very Nice. But now I wondering if it's possible to have depth of field peaking. So I can see which objects are in and out of focus. I was shooting in a wood recently with my old EM5. And I wanted to see which trees would be sharp enough and maybe adjust to it to include certain trees.

I saw focus peaking for the first time when I tried the EM5ii in the shop. Very Nice. But now I wondering if it's possible to have depth of field peaking. So I can see which objects are in and out of focus. I was shooting in a wood recently with my old EM5. And I wanted to see which trees would be sharp enough and maybe adjust to it to include certain trees.

Err, depth of field preview.

No. Peaking. Peaking is a digital enhancement of a preview. To make subtle differences clear.

Last edited:
@mickyc - I went from the 10 to the 1 and it was well worth it in my opinion ( it only cost me £65 to upgrade ). Better handling, better access to functions, quicker C-AF. Don't expect any difference in IQ

Guys who has upgraded from the em5 to em1 and was it worth it?

The E-M5 is a good looking camera whereas the E-M1 is abit ugly. Went for the E-M1 as it’s more functional than the E-M5, more direct buttons, mode switch, better EVF, faster focus etc. The E-M1 is just better than the E-M5 except on price. Also I never liked the mushy buttons on the E-M5.

Up against the mkII the specs are more evenly matched.

The E-M5 is a good looking camera whereas the E-M1 is abit ugly. Went for the E-M1 as it’s more functional than the E-M5, more direct buttons, mode switch, better EVF, faster focus etc. The E-M1 is just better than the E-M5 except on price. Also I never liked the mushy buttons on the E-M5.

Up against the mkII the specs are more evenly matched.

I'd take the EM1 for just the easy access to bracketing. But my wallet doesnt allow me to!

anyone tried the P25 f1.4 ? Better or worse than the O25 f1.8 ? Quite a bit bigger I believe ?

anyone tried the P25 f1.4 ? Better or worse than the O25 f1.8 ? Quite a bit bigger I believe ?
I have the Panasonic 25/1.4 and like it very much. Not used the Oly lens though so can't compare, but online reviews say they're both excellent.

Thanks Simon - I've read the reviews, more CA on the P25, better sharpness at the corners on the O25, slightly better bokeh on the P25, the O25 is 136g against 200g for the P25...

Aaarrrggghhhh :bat:

Then again, I have the P20 which is great...just a wee bit slow on occasion

Last edited:

Yes that's another excellent lens! When you say slow do you mean AF performance or aperture? If aperture then maybe you should look at the Voigtlander 25/0.95 :)

+1 to what others have said. My PL25 is one of my favourite lenses and I like the way it renders. Also, because noise starts to ramp up quickly in the 1600-6400 ISO range I really appreciate the f1.4 to help control this (vs f1.8) as I often shoot indoors without flash.

I've had both the 25mm lenses.

The AF on the Olympus is really quick & accurate; build is good and comes with a good quality hood (!)...it has a closer MFD than the PL25 - works well with close-focusing rings too. My copy was sharp as anything though it was a bit too clinical for my taste.

I like the way the PL25 renders...yes it has an unruly hood that's not reversible however it doesn't bother me tbh; I wouldn't get hung up on the size at all, it's not overly big whatsoever. I use it mainly as an indoor/low-light lens.

Thanks Simon - I've read the reviews, more CA on the P25, better sharpness at the corners on the O25, slightly better bokeh on the P25, the O25 is 136g against 200g for the P25...

Aaarrrggghhhh :bat:

I warned you the P20 was a gateway lens to a more expensive 25mm...

So, how much are you offering for me 25/1.4? *snigger*

Has anyone upgraded their EM5 MK1, to the EM5 MK2? Would be great to hear if you think it's worth the £800

Has anyone upgraded their EM5 MK1, to the EM5 MK2? Would be great to hear if you think it's worth the £800

When I had a play with en EM5ii I concluded that yes it was better but it wasn't worth the cost to change - I went for an EM1 to supplement the EM10 instead. EM1 for serious stuff and EM10 for travel/spare.

That said the 10 has a few more features than the 5.

When I had a play with en EM5ii I concluded that yes it was better but it wasn't worth the cost to change - I went for an EM1 to supplement the EM10 instead. EM1 for serious stuff and EM10 for travel/spare.

That said the 10 has a few more features than the 5.

Yeah, the big debate I have is whether it's worth me forking out another £600 odd, on top of the sale of my EM5. I may wait until the successor of the EM1 comes out, probably makes more sense for me to ride with the EM5 mk1 for a year longer than to keep switching and changing.. and losing money :(

The nice thing about the OMD series (so far) is that the image quality is identical between them so you are not seduced by the latest greatest sensor but can focus on the functions that actually matter.

So, if there are functions on the mk2 that you think would transform your shooting (by £600 worth!) then go for it but otherwise I don't see the point.

If you really want to buy something then maybe a lens?

Yeah, the sensors are all the same. I feel I'm missing out on functions such as WiFi and other little bits, which I don't feel is worth the upgrade to MK2... not for the price atm, which is why I'd just wait to see what happens with the future EM1.

I pretty much have all the lenses I want for the MU43 system. I have the 25mm PL / 45mm Oly / 7-14 / 12-35 / 75mm

The only other lens I'd actually be interested in is the 15mm Panny, to use for my GM1 really.

Back