Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Last weeks finds when I was trying out a possible holiday macro set up. I am trying to keep the size of my camera kit quite small when I go on holiday to Canada in summer. I of course want to be able to shoot macro if I get the time. I need a smaller light set up I think.

The lens and tubes pack small but the diffuser and flash do not.

Zuiko-40-150-tunes-and-raynox by alf.branch, on Flickr

Here are some shots taken with it using AF then rock technique

All kit at 140mm a bit cropped

Dicyrtomina-Saundersi by alf.branch, on Flickr

Without the Raynox at 96mm Nice jumper

Salticus-Scenicus by alf.branch, on Flickr

With the Raynox at 102mm a very small fly

Small-fly by alf.branch, on Flickr
Alf, what make of tubes are you using as I have only seen sets with 2 tubes for M4/3?

Scrub that Alf I have found them ;) Opteka Auto Focus DG EX Macro Extension Tube Set.

I thought I was going to get the em10 but what would I be missing out on/gaining if I went for the em5 instead? I'm still waiting for an em10 to come up for sale but they seem to be like rocking horse poo. The main thing for me I think would be wifi and focus peaking. Cheers

Epl7 are cheap and have all the functions of an em10 except evf.
Em5 are going crazy cheap on here.
I have Em5 but have not used it in the rain yet but it's nice to know it's weathersealed.
I do think the live composite mode is something I wish I had though.

I thought I was going to get the em10 but what would I be missing out on/gaining if I went for the em5 instead? I'm still waiting for an em10 to come up for sale but they seem to be like rocking horse poo. The main thing for me I think would be wifi and focus peaking. Cheers

Well they're two things that the EM5 doesn't have...

Also, with the grip the EM10 is actually more comfortable to hold than the EM1 in my hands - not sure what the EM5 grip is like but I didn't think it's the same.

The grip on the em5 comes in two parts, so you can have just the horizontal grip on or the vertical as well. I'm so tempted by an em5 plus grip that's in the classified but I just can't get myself the press the button on it. i still think I'd hanker after the wifi especially.....

The grip on the em5 comes in two parts, so you can have just the horizontal grip on or the vertical as well. I'm so tempted by an em5 plus grip that's in the classified but I just can't get myself the press the button on it. i still think I'd hanker after the wifi especially.....

Buy it,then I won't be still temped :D

My OM-D E-M10 was delivered yesterday [emoji4] but to next door [emoji53] is it to early to go and bang the door down [emoji48]

No. It's 8.30 - everyone should be up :D

Been thinking on one of the Em 1 or XT 1 again for holidays

Not sure if this has already been posted, but I have found a cheap replacement for the problematic em5 eye piece:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HD2C75Y

Fits on the camera perfectly. The only issue is that you need to slightly angle the screen before you can fold it out, but taking away a few mm off the bottom should fix that.

So, I got the O25 today - it's much quicker to focus than the P20 and I'm sure will be awesome in low light where the P20 would perhaps struggle.

Not really had a chance to test it yet...think I agree with the general consensus that the Panny renders nicer...

Anyway, this is with neither :D

a dummy by damianmkv, on Flickr

So...now that I have a p20, o25 and o45 I'm beginning to run out of space in my bag.

Should I dump them all for a p12-35 ? I know it's a bit slower but it would save me changing lenses every 5 seconds..

How does it fare in low light ?

#GAS :(

So...now that I have a p20, o25 and o45 I'm beginning to run out of space in my bag.

Should I dump them all for a p12-35 ? I know it's a bit slower but it would save me changing lenses every 5 seconds..

How does it fare in low light ?

#GAS :(
I knew you'd cave in and get a 25! I see you've gone for the 1.8, leaving space for a further GAS attack and getting the 1.4...

Get the 12-40. 5mm extra so gets closer to the 45mm, plus it looks the business. :D

Hmm..my dilemma is that the 12-** instantly makes m43 less "pocketable" so....so...so...grr

I agree, but I found in most cases I could just take the one lens, so only a small bag needed. The smallest Lowepro Toploader worked quite nicely.

I've just got an LX100 to see if I can get on with that as my main take-everywhere camera. Still undecided whether to keep any other MFT kit - part of me is tempted to trade-in the EM5 for a smaller body and keep the 40-150 or 14-150 for zoo days etc, and the other part is tempted to sell the lot and just run one camera with a fixed lens.

Still fits in my jacket pocket Mr Fuji with the p20. Won't be the case with a 12-**

You'll be warm in the summer with a coat on all the time.

Just get the 12-40. You won't be able to rest until you have it. Keep the 20 for when you want to go out looking like a doofus.

The shot of the Geranium above is very coolio.

I agree, but I found in most cases I could just take the one lens, so only a small bag needed. The smallest Lowepro Toploader worked quite nicely.

I've just got an LX100 to see if I can get on with that as my main take-everywhere camera. Still undecided whether to keep any other MFT kit - part of me is tempted to trade-in the EM5 for a smaller body and keep the 40-150 or 14-150 for zoo days etc, and the other part is tempted to sell the lot and just run one camera with a fixed lens.

I've been looking at the LX100 just recently too, but not sure I want to go from a 16Mp Olympus down to the 13Mp LX100. 4K video would be nice though, especially if it lets you pull single frames out of the video stream - the possibilities for wildlife or other action photography would be very interesting.

Will be joining this group shortly as have just pulled the trigger on an EM5 with 12-50mm lens for bargain price of £499 delivered from my local dealer, Wilkinson Cameras, great price even though I'm not thrilled with the ergonomics - buttons a bit small for my fat fingers!

Wondered about the compatibility of Panasonic lenses with the EM5, in theory should be 100% compatible, but what about in practice?

Specifically thinking of using a 7-14 and 100-300 with it. Any comments or issues appreciated before I splash out on these.

Thanks
Henry

Back