Olympus update problem lens no longer recognised _ Repaired without charge by Olympus

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Hi

Does anyone have experience they can bring to bear?

I was in the process of updating my Olympus 40-150 Pro lens firmware when we had a power cut and lost the internet connection. Now I have a lens which the body will not recognise nor will Olympus Workplace.

Apart from sending this away for repair does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might "unbrick" this lens?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that :(

I have not heard of a user "unbricking" such a problem.

Maybe a start to phone Olympus and get some initial feedback? Is it still under warranty......if so make it as a warranty claim?

Thats a bummer Martin, I'm pretty sure it will need to be sent away having read some similar stories a couple of years ago. :(

I suspect you are both right.

It is extremely annoying. I updated my Canon 5D mk3 firmware earlier and is was far safer as you download the firmware put it on a memory card and then update. Providing you have plenty of power in the battery it is virtually risk free.

Olympus method is potentially quite risky, power cuts, loss of internet, corrupt download etc. Why can they not adopt the Canon approach?

I have a very good local camera technician I have contacted and I hope to hear from him tomorrow.

@Grumps1974

Like you I was used to Canon and found the Olympus method "odd" because you say it is potentially open to numerous points of irrecoverable failure.......but I surmise it is statistically low potential!

I fear your local guy, unless he has Olympus specific knowledge & equipment, may be limited in what he can do? I of course stand to be corrected and to learn something new :)

Having done some more research it seems there is an onboard chip which houses the firmware. Research seems to suggest this can be replaced so I am hoping the local guy can source the replacement chip and fit it.

RESULT!!!!

I have just had an email from Olympus saying they have changed the status of the repair to Warranty and I will be getting a refund on my fixed price repair.

Well done Olympus
That's great service and really good to hear.

I was recently updating my firmware on Olympus lenses and bodies and I was a tad nervous. We have had a few electrical blips recently, so I was very relieved when I had finished with no hiccups.

Nice result Martin, I bet it will make you a little concerned to update in the future though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back