On The Kingfisher Theme.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm not going to pretend, there have been some incredible KF images here lately and this one isn't in that league, they are superb images. I've been fortunate with this KF, it is very used to my pop up hide now though and I have thought about introducing some perches rather than the posts that have been there for years that it currently uses as they are not the most photogenic ones. It's a dilemma though as I don't want to interfere with what probably generations of KFs have been used to here.

It's the same bird over and over, that will be the case this time of year as territories are set, a beautiful male that perches on 2 posts regularly, often spending 20 to 30 minutes at a time between the 2 posts, sometimes, just a few minutes. He dives close to the same spot everytime, so hopefully, I can get a diving shot soon but a dose of manflu (not the critically ill version) has put paid to my plans for today as well as poor light, which would mean compromising to get shuter speeds fast enough.

I know KFs are becoming a bit marmite but for me, they are a passion and whilst I've done the paid hide thing once before (and would again (y)) I feel privileged to have this one for company on a regular basis now.

This is a bit of a crop as it was on the furthest post away, (about 25 feet for that one) but the KF just lit up against the background. I didn't quite nail the exposure, I totally ignored the camera's suggested setting and under exposed by almost 2 stops and the whites still popped, despite me exposing for the whites on the post earlier in the day. The light was constantly changing, it was cloudy then clear. There is something about low, autumn sunlight.

Sunlit Kingfisher. by Dale, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nothing Marmite about Kingfishers Dale, a beautiful little bird that is every wildlife photographers joy :)

Sorry, but I love this bird, long may it continue.

I like the BG as it is but it's long, dead grass now so I may flatten it out of shot next time. I don't like interfering for the sake of a photo but it will fall soon anyway.

Kingfisher. by Dale, on Flickr

Last edited:
Love this second shot best, Dale - natural colours and lots of plumage detail (y)
- the post may have been at this angle, but you could cheat a little to make it vertical, perhaps?

Russ

Thanks Russ. I thought about that too but left as is for now.

Kingys aren`t marmite if you get bored with seeing kingfisher shots & taking them you had better pack bird photography in.I agree with Russ the second shots the better one for me.

Kingys aren`t marmite if you get bored with seeing kingfisher shots & taking them you had better pack bird photography in.I agree with Russ the second shots the better one for me.

Thanks.

Agree with your sentiment, 100%. (y)

Both very, very nice, I'd be happy with either.
My preference is No1. Composition, colour and the non distracting background really make the bird pop.

Both very, very nice, I'd be happy with either.
My preference is No1. Composition, colour and the non distracting background really make the bird pop.

Thanks Paul. The first would be my choice too, if it weren't so much of a crop.

Not that I dislike the 2nd. :LOL:

both look good to me

Back