On1 2019 - Bloody nerve of them

Name
Elliott
Edit My Images
No
Typical of On1. Ship incomplete software and charge full price.

Many years ago I bought On1 and upgrade to On1 Photo 10. It was painfully slow despite their promotional material claiming how fast it was. I swore never to touch their software again.
Yesterday I watched a video on the new focus stacking in the new 2019 version so I thought I'd download the trial. Bear in mind that this software was released in the last couple of days and costs £79 to upgrade.

Bloody nerve. Trial removed.

Screenshot 2018-11-14 at 14.23.15.jpg

Typical of On1. Ship incomplete software and charge full price.

Many years ago I bought On1 and upgrade to On1 Photo 10. It was painfully slow despite their promotional material claiming how fast it was. I swore never to touch their software again.
Yesterday I watched a video on the new focus stacking in the new 2019 version so I thought I'd download the trial. Bear in mind that this software was released in the last couple of days and costs £79 to upgrade.

Bloody nerve. Trial removed.

View attachment 138704

I know! Just like poxy Fuji, shipping limited cameras, and then adding missing functionality through software updates later. ;)

Any company describing their basic features as Awesome sounds suspect.

I did try the focus stacking before removing it and it does nothing that PS can't already do. Both are crap at focus stacking.

I also tried their develop/effects etc which is now all integrated into one app and I thought quite a few of the sliders weren't actually attached to anything. Moving the Highlights slider actually brightened the shadows o_O

Any company describing their basic features as Awesome sounds suspect.

The one thing that On1 are good at and that's overhyping their software.

Installed the trial the other day. First of all, the installer hung with "less than one minute" on the screen. After 3 hours I force-quit the installer, at which point it told me the program had successfully installed. Then tried it on some raw files. As @ecoleman says, some/many of the sliders did b@£@£r all. The presets were horrible. Uninstalled it and have happily gone back to LR, which I actually like.

Meanwhile and all along, for raw conversion DxO Photolab just works ...

Why piddle about?

Meanwhile and all along, for raw conversion DxO Photolab just works ...

Why piddle about?

I have DXO. Have had it from version 4 I think and upgraded a couple of times. I currently have DXO 11 and just don't get on with it as a raw developer. I only ever use it if I have a very noisy image and run it through their Prime noise reduction which is excellent.

and just don't get on with it as a raw developer
Is it the interface that you dislike? Not its functionality, surely - it's pretty powerful.

Also note that I'm referencing the most recent iterations.

Is it the interface that you dislike? Not its functionality, surely - it's pretty powerful.

Also note that I'm referencing the most recent iterations.

To be fair, I probably haven't given it much time. I find the interface a bit clunky with far to many sliders, many of which seem to be duplicated in various sections.

Personally, I find LR to give a more pleasing result of my raw images.

The main thing that rules it out as a viable editor for me is the lack of local adjustments. Not sure if this has changed since v11 but to be honest, I've spend far too much money on various bits of software and plugins that end up consigned to the depths of my hard drive never to be used.

Oh yes, I did download and trial that. I used to use Nik collection as I paid £150 for that, just before Google bailed and made it free, but I didn't think the DXO implementation worked as well. I was waiting to see if they released Nik Collection as a standalone which they did..... kind of. They re-released the existing software with zero updates and then wanted me to pay another £50. Kind of soured things for me so that's been removed too.

I've not tried PR2019 but my experience with 2018 in direct comparison with Lightroom 5.7 and DXO 11 is that as a raw processor it's pretty much as good, with slightly inferior control to lightroom and more ease of control than DXO. All 3 are capable, but DXO 11 was the least versatile and most automated. I did have problems initially, and contacted their helpline who mentioned a need to use the graphics card, after which it's been good ever since. I like the pano creation tool of PR 2018, and occasionally use a few other tools where I need more in-depth control than LR can manage. If it works for someone then it's a decent replacement of LR and PS, but if it doesn't work for you then I can understand it's as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I've downloaded the trial, i'm going to have a play about with it, but it does seem pretty slow on my MBP so far. I'm hoping to use it to replace LR and PS, I have affinity, which I quite like, but thought i'd give this a go.

I have On1 Raw 2019 and I am having no issues with speed, sliders or anything else. It is considerably better than it was in its previous releases. I still use LR/PS as my go to photo editor but one day I would not be surprised to move on to the likes of ON1. We shall see.

Last edited:
I've decided to take the leap and buy this, I'll see how it goes :)

I have On1 Raw 2019 and I am having no issues with speed, sliders or anything else. It is considerably better than it was in its previous releases. I still use LR/PS as my go to photo editor but one day I would not be surprised to move on to the likes of ON1. We shall see.
I made the move to On1 and I'm completely happy.
On1 replaces Lightroom as a raw developer (and doesn't require a catalog) and with layers and masking, also does much of what Photoshop can do.
I no longer use any Adobe products.

I have just downloaded the on1 Raw 2019 and it seem quite impressive hmmmm

I've decided to take the leap and buy this, I'll see how it goes :)

How are you getting on with it, it’s been a week or so now? I’ve sung adobe’s praises in the past but I’m thinking a one off purchase might be better for me as my photography is happening less than it has in the past and the subscription is hard to justify, even if it is fairly cheap.

How are you getting on with it, it’s been a week or so now? I’ve sung adobe’s praises in the past but I’m thinking a one off purchase might be better for me as my photography is happening less than it has in the past and the subscription is hard to justify, even if it is fairly cheap.
I'm liking it :)

I have to say I'm generally very impressed with ON1, though it can occasionally be very laggy on my machine that's showing its age. Computer components and overall performance issues can make competent but complex software seem problematic. In this context only it can be helpful to temporarily turn off previously stacked local adjustments and effects while doing further editing.

I'm interested, Toni, in your comment about the graphics card. May I ask what you were told? Might help me too at times until I upgrade.

I'm puzzled about sliders not doing anything. I've been using the latest version extensively since it came out (several hours a day generally), and the 2018 version before that, and I've had so such issues. As far as I can see the highlights slider targets the highlights, although all tonal adjustment ranges push against the most adjacent tones. Not shadows with the highlights, though! Using whites with highlights may be helpful? To an extent, slider results may also depend on the image.

Generally I find ON1 Photo RAW flexible and capable offering a wide range of tonal and colour adjustments. I can work in layers too and I'm pleased with HDR results. I do puzzle over changes that can happen when effects and local adjustments are switched around in the stack. But it's never been a major issue.

However, I don't experience "reverential wonder or fear; dread" (awesome). Stateside just about everything is "awesome" and worth getting "excited" about!

I agree with much of what Robin Walley had to say about it recently:

View: https://youtu.be/zP9j2q7a6uI

I'm interested, Toni, in your comment about the graphics card. May I ask what you were told? Might help me too at times until I upgrade.

I had hangs and failures to display properly. IIRC (and it's about 12 months ago) the software needed to use the graphics card acceleration and there were a couple of steps required to force this to be used. The computer concerned is a Dell XPS laptop - so not equipped with a stonking great gaming card - and after that was done the software worked reliably and quickly.

FWIW I find the continual changes in interface irritating, and it's discouraged me from using the software more.

Last edited:
I've been using ON1 software since it was Perfect Photo Suite 4 and I have very mixed feelings about it. I agree with ecoleman in that it often feels like I'm beta testing what is supposed to be a finished product. I beta tested Photo Raw 2019 and that felt like I was alpha testing it. It would crash at every opportunity, most often whenever I tried to export to jpeg, which is a pretty necessary feature, IMO. It ran dog-slow on my PC with an onboard Intel HD400 graphics card until I put an Nvidia 1050 in it, but strangely enough runs fine on my Surface Pro 3 with an onboard Intel HD500. It got to the point where I was considering moving to Luminar, but they haven't implemented IPTC headers yet, and haven't given any indication as to when they will, so I'm staying with Photo Raw 2019 for now.

As for the interface, I think it's improving slowly, and they do listen to feedback but to give an example of unwanted changes, they decided not to show a photo's filename in thumbnail view unless you mouse over it, so I'm having to grab my mouse a bit too often. And they narrowed the scroll bars right down claiming that they wanted to give us more screen real estate, but it's almost impossible to use it on my Surface Pro with the pen; in fact, they don't seem to have considered the use of a pen much at all. They have said they'll do something about the scroll bars, but in one of the videos they mentioned something about the scroll bar widening when the mouse cursor passes over it; but what about the pen?

All in all, apart from a few nags, I'm happy enough about it, though, and it's been my main asset management and post-processing software for quite a while now, and probably quite a while to come.

Thanks, Toni. I'll have to look into that. Every little helps!

Just a quick thought about focus stacking... Because of their construction some lenses slightly shift the focal length while focussing through the range. This can make focus stacking more difficult regardless of software. Might be an issue for some.

But it seems ON1 knows there is room for improvement. They are working to enhance focus stacking for a future update.

Just a quick thought about focus stacking... Because of their construction some lenses slightly shift the focal length while focussing through the range. This can make focus stacking more difficult regardless of software. Might be an issue for some.

But it seems ON1 knows there is room for improvement. They are working to enhance focus stacking for a future update.

The latest version has focus stacking built in (not that I would use it).

I've only used Affinity for focus stacking and it automatically aligns the images as part of the process.

Just spent 2hours trying to find out how to increase canvas size and as a blank layer as required when submitting for camera club only to find its been removed from 2019 version. Software's pretty useless or me with out it.

Just spent 2hours trying to find out how to increase canvas size and as a blank layer as required when submitting for camera club only to find its been removed from 2019 version. Software's pretty useless or me with out it.
I thought the integration of layers was one of the big features of On1 2019.
Are you saying it's not possible to create a blank white layer to use as a "canvas"?
Not a feature I've ever used in On1, I use Affinity to add borders to my images.

Borders are not a "requirement" for our club, but a lot of us like to add them to our projected images.

It seems hard to believe they've removed the ability to add a return for canvas printing to the export function - it was a key reason I adopted the suite back at the beginning. It's easy enough to do in GIMP, but more fiddly and with less automation.

Yep i found a q&A where someone asked the question and got a response from ON1. in 2018.5 you clicked the layers icon at the side of the screen, in 2019 Layers sit within the develope module and are non-destructive.

You can insert a new layer from file either one of thiers or another image of yours. but you cant make it bigger than your current image and theirs are smaller than your image.

Luckily i bought 2018.5 with free 2019 upgrade so just trying to reinstall 2018.5 to allow a quick edit for this week and then have to review how im going to work going forward
https://on1help.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360030522451-Adjust-canvas-size

Any find the images have a slight purple fringe but when zoomed in it fine

I wouldn't say purple, but I can sometimes see a halo effect on a full screen image, which is not there when zoomed in.

I've seen similar effects in Lightroom, going to develop before zooming in on a processed image with CA correction. I suspect corrections are only being applied as much as necessary to help speed up handling.

Back