ON1 Photo RAW 2020 early thoughts

What you think
Me too, I think it has pros and cons, but I am not happy being tied into a subscription, that was my main reason for moving. Overall I'm happy with the ON1 package.

What you think
I've said all I need to say in my other posts on this topic - I suggest you read them.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Last edited:
Not found a use for the Weather Filter yet, not sure how it's useful but I think that because I need educating. Anyone found it useful?

Not found a use for the Weather Filter yet, not sure how it's useful but I think that because I need educating. Anyone found it useful?
I don't think it's something I'll be using, but it's there if you want to play...

I don't think the mapping feature is very good at the moment.

Started using 2020 and I am finding it buggy on occasions.. Much as I like the idea of a "one stop" PP software package I really think it is probably too early for me to ditch LR/PS for ever...

Started using 2020 and I am finding it buggy on occasions.. Much as I like the idea of a "one stop" PP software package I really think it is probably too early for me to ditch LR/PS for ever...

I feel the same.. I just been trying to get use to it the past couple of days but keep going back to LR.. LR just works and everything seem to be a easier better work flow but that is my opinion...

As much as i like to try and get away from a subscription base software it not looking promising at all

I feel the same.. I just been trying to get use to it the past couple of days but keep going back to LR.. LR just works and everything seem to be a easier better work flow but that is my opinion...

As much as i like to try and get away from a subscription base software it not looking promising at all

I have been looking at all the alternatives and trying the ones I am interested out. I buy the annual subscription and practice with them over 12 months. I keep going back to On1 as I like the way they have developed it over the last 3 years. A lot of good ideas and makes for a promising package for someone such as myself who is just a keen amateur. I just wish ON1s developers would perhaps slow down a bit and get rid of the bugs that exist. They have a huge list of issues that give them their due they have published on line. Clearly they will plough through these over the next year. I will keep playing with it as it has the potential to be a really powerful tool for me. The other software I am trialling is DXO Photolab 3 but it doesn't allow me to work on Fuji files. Likewise I find On1 is awful for Fuji files at the moment...... shame..

Last edited:
I really would like to like On1 as the tools do work and sometime i feel it works with the files better colour wise.

How do you have the file management as i dont think it has a library file which I dont mind. Just wishes the sidecar are stores in one location rather than all over where the image files are know what i mean

I really would like to like On1 as the tools do work and sometime i feel it works with the files better colour wise.

How do you have the file management as i dont think it has a library file which I dont mind. Just wishes the sidecar are stores in one location rather than all over where the image files are know what i mean
I agree with you on the sidecar files, but I have just got used to that now.

Have any of you tried Lumiar

Hi, Yes I moved from On1 to Luminar on the Windows platform, there are some minor problems with it on Windows as it was really made as a Mac software the main one for me is not being able to use 3rd party plugins with the Windows version on Mac I think it does work, I have purchased the version 4 as the upgrade price was OK, as an ameture it does what I need however I still keep my Lightroom 6 as that does allow me to export to other software. But IMO all these new software comoanies selling there products as Adobe alternatives are some way off the mark in what they can do to replace Adobe, the only reason I didn't go past Photoshop 6 was I didn't want to go down the subscription route, if Adobe had kept the upgrade option I would still be there. Russ

I cancelled my pre-order last night... I am interested in it but the YT videos all steer towards portraits, skin enhancements etc. and I do little of that type of photography.

I detest sidecar files. I hate clutter.

In DXO Photolab, you can elect to have them or not.

That one thing that annoys me with On1 just wishes we can select a option not to show them

How do you guys cope with working with different editing softwares.. I would like to just settle on one tbh

I am finding that Fuji colours are not good. Nikon seem ok. I also dont think it handles fine detail so well either.

As for file management ..... what's that :). I try and keep it as simple as possible. I am not a prolific snapper so happy to work direct with files on my MacBook SSD. I then transfer all to external back up when finished. I do like smart previews in LR that allow me to work on files off line. Unfortunately On1 doesn't provide this....

I cancelled my pre-order last night... I am interested in it but the YT videos all steer towards portraits, skin enhancements etc. and I do little of that type of photography.
Hi, Can you say how you can cancel if you have already paid for the upgrade please? Thankyou. Russ

I detest sidecar files. I hate clutter.
That one thing that annoys me with On1 just wishes we can select a option not to show them

From another forum: Just highlight all the files you want to hide, right click (with the cursor on one of the selected files), click properties, then check the box "Hidden".

This will hide the .xml files in that folder only AFAIK, so you may need to do it for each folder.

From another forum: Just highlight all the files you want to hide, right click (with the cursor on one of the selected files), click properties, then check the box "Hidden".

This will hide the .xml files in that folder only AFAIK, so you may need to do it for each folder.

One of On1s first actions once you download it and allow access to your photos is to create sidecar files for every photos. So be warned If you have a large number of photos/files it could turn into a real chore.....

One of On1s first actions once you download it and allow access to your photos is to create sidecar files for every photos. So be warned If you have a large number of photos/files it could turn into a real chore.....
It catalogs files in the background, which does not affect the normal operation of the program.

It catalogs files in the background, which does not affect the normal operation of the program.

I meant as a chore if you are one of those that want to go through all your folders hiding sidecar files....

I meant as a chore if you are one of those that want to go through all your folders hiding sidecar files....
Well it might be a chore for your computer, but there is no effort required by yourself.
The computer just churns away in the background while you use the programs normal features.
I don't understand this obsession with "hiding" sidecar files - the sidecar file is where the program keeps all the edit information that you may have applied.
I just ignore all that stuff (the files are tiny anyway) and use the program.
All the sidecar files are copied automatically when I'm backing up, so there are no concerns there.
To me, using On1 is a lot more convenient than having to load all your images into the Lightroom "Catalog" before you can work on them.
Providing you have the discipline to title and keyword all your images, searching is just as fast and simple in On1 as with LR.

Well it might be a chore for your computer, but there is no effort required by yourself.
The computer just churns away in the background while you use the programs normal features.
I don't understand this obsession with "hiding" sidecar files - the sidecar file is where the program keeps all the edit information that you may have applied.
I just ignore all that stuff (the files are tiny anyway) and use the program.
All the sidecar files are copied automatically when I'm backing up, so there are no concerns there.
To me, using On1 is a lot more convenient than having to load all your images into the Lightroom "Catalog" before you can work on them.
Providing you have the discipline to title and keyword all your images, searching is just as fast and simple in On1 as with LR.

I am well aware of what it does, nor do I really care. I didn't ask the question about sidecar files. The person who asked I assume is more interested in hiding all such files from his folder as it is presumably cluttering it up. I will say though that if you also use the likes of DXO as well as On1 and any other software that allows you to use sidecar files, folders can soon become a mess... Again, I just untick creating sidecar files in DXO.

Last edited:
It's really useful having the side car files when you want pick up a RAW file & share it with someone else with its adjustments. Not sure how easy that would be with other applications that use a central database.
I say it's useful but only needed to do this once of twice in several years.

Indeed, sidecars are essential if you use more than one laptop/PC etc and you want to work on them on what ever machine you have.....

I do acknowledge how they could be a bother at the same time but for me it's fine.

I do acknowledge how they could be a bother at the same time but for me it's fine.

Actually the one time they are a pain to me is when I use Photo Mechanic. I use it as a means of walking through site visits when I write up my reports. So the photos have been downloaded into LR, ON1 or DXO before I look at them. As well as a great photo of a chilled water pump , the accompanying side car file is shown in PM as an additional ON1 or DXO graphic. When you have hundreds of site photos plus their sidecar files as well it can get a bit of a pain ploughing through them. Perhaps not what PM is meant for. I have looked through PM preferences to see if there is anything to stop the sidecar graphic from appearing but haven't found anything yet.

Actually the one time they are a pain to me is when I use Photo Mechanic. I use it as a means of walking through site visits when I write up my reports. So the photos have been downloaded into LR, ON1 or DXO before I look at them. As well as a great photo of a chilled water pump , the accompanying side car file is shown in PM as an additional ON1 or DXO graphic. When you have hundreds of site photos plus their sidecar files as well it can get a bit of a pain ploughing through them. Perhaps not what PM is meant for. I have looked through PM preferences to see if there is anything to stop the sidecar graphic from appearing but haven't found anything yet.

Some viewing applications - Irfanviewfor example - will work through the images in the order in which they have been sorted. This if you sort by filetype before opening the first image to view, you are presented with the raw images, jpgs etc in the order in which they were taken. My wife's camera is set to save images as jpgs and RAW, and I find this useful when wanting to preview raw files only.

Some viewing applications - Irfanviewfor example - will work through the images in the order in which they have been sorted. This if you sort by filetype before opening the first image to view, you are presented with the raw images, jpgs etc in the order in which they were taken. My wife's camera is set to save images as jpgs and RAW, and I find this useful when wanting to preview raw files only.

Of course.... another grey haired moment for me. Thanks for the tip....

I have looked through PM preferences to see if there is anything to stop the sidecar graphic from appearing but haven't found anything yet.
I'm still using v5 on macOS, but for me there's a menu option you can deselect:
View > Unknown files as proxies

.... I have looked at it out of curiosity but think I would only use it to add falling snow to an already snowy scene such as with a Robin in it to then create a Christmas card.

I only use ON1 Filters and Effects sometimes to enhance an image and as a Photoshop plugin on a TIFF generated by Capture One. I have never used ON1 Develop as I like Capture One. I only shoot RAW.

Well I capitulated and downloaded the trial before upgrading and have to say quite impressed thus far, it's faster and one thing I wanted was the ability to install my own camera profiles, after doing so I created two profiles, one with On1 2020 and one with Lightroom 6, I thought they would be the same but I honestly thought the On1 gave a better result, asked the wife who has no clue about photography PP and she picked the On1 2020 version also after a bit more investigation into 2020 I cancelled my upgrade to Skylum Luminar 4 because I don't or would very rarly use this AI sky replacment and when I asked about the option to use 3rd party plugins with the Windows version I was told still not possible even in version 4. Going back to the camera profiles, I can make them with my Colourchecker and they show up in the list within the software but I only did the one as a quick test but now cannot figure out how to remove it from the list, I no how to remove it from the Windows COLOUR folder but not the software itself so anyone can help with a soulution please? Thanks, Russ.

Well I capitulated and downloaded the trial before upgrading and have to say quite impressed thus far, it's faster and one thing I wanted was the ability to install my own camera profiles, after doing so I created two profiles, one with On1 2020 and one with Lightroom 6, I thought they would be the same but I honestly thought the On1 gave a better result, asked the wife who has no clue about photography PP and she picked the On1 2020 version also after a bit more investigation into 2020 I cancelled my upgrade to Skylum Luminar 4 because I don't or would very rarly use this AI sky replacment and when I asked about the option to use 3rd party plugins with the Windows version I was told still not possible even in version 4. Going back to the camera profiles, I can make them with my Colourchecker and they show up in the list within the software but I only did the one as a quick test but now cannot figure out how to remove it from the list, I no how to remove it from the Windows COLOUR folder but not the software itself so anyone can help with a soulution please? Thanks, Russ.

Are you still using Lightroom and using these other software as plugin? Or trying to move over?

Have you tried On1 support?
They are usually very quick and responsive to queries.
The thing I find slightly annoying about On1 camera profiles is that you do not have the option to load a profile as default.
The program always opens in "On1 Standard" profile and you then have to select your preferred profile from there.
I have requested that they change the program so that it can always open in your chosen default profile.

Last edited:
Are you still using Lightroom and using these other software as plugin? Or trying to move over?
Hi, I think like many I got caught on the software merry go round after Adobe decided to go subscription only, I kept hold of L/R 6 as it had as I posted earlier the option for user made camera profile option but after looking closer at the On1 software it seems to do now what I need without 3rd party plugins even images when a green screen has been used (not often) so yes I will be able get rid of the need to go outside the software to do what I need. Maybe now say goodbye to Adobe L/R 6 Russ.

Have you tried On1 support?
They are usually very quick and responsive to queries.
The thing I find slightly annoying about On1 camera profiles is that you do not have the option to load a profile as default.
The program always opens in "On1 Default" profile and you then have to select your preferred profile from there.
I have requested that they change the program so that it can always open in your chosen default profile.
Hi, As I make profiles for differing lighting situations and also have 2 camera bodies (Both Canon but even the same version of a camera body can give slightly differant results ie, Canon 7D Mk ll to a Canon 70D) It would not be advantageous to open every image with the same profile, even with one camera you need to make profiles for changing light situations. Russ.

Hi, As I make profiles for differing lighting situations and also have 2 camera bodies (Both Canon but even the same version of a camera body can give slightly differant results ie, Canon 7D Mk ll to a Canon 70D) It would not be advantageous to open every image with the same profile, even with one camera you need to make profiles for changing light situations. Russ.
Good point!
I too use several different cameras so I tend to use "On1 Standard" as my default, and work from there with all of them.
I suppose in an ideal situation, the program would detect which camera the raw file came from (from the EXIF) and apply the appropriate profile from there, but maybe that's a bit too ambitious!

Just a heads up if you like me need to delete any user made profiles from the drop down list in develop. For Camera profiles = C:/Users/Your Username/AppData/Roaming/ON1/Common 2020/CameraProfiles and for printer profiles = C:/Users/Your Username/AppData/Roaming/ON1/Common 2020/Profiles . Russ.

Back