ON1 Photo RAW

Edit My Images
Yes
Anybody use it?
Ive been using Luminar4 which I quite like but it is slow, particularly to export photos and export doesn’t work in the background. It also doesn’t automatically add lens correction.
ON1 is on offer with the Creator Pack for £50. For that sum I’ll probably just get it and give it a go (30 day money back) but just wondered if anyone uses it regularl and what they thought? Thanks

Anybody use it?
Ive been using Luminar4 which I quite like but it is slow, particularly to export photos and export doesn’t work in the background. It also doesn’t automatically add lens correction.
ON1 is on offer with the Creator Pack for £50. For that sum I’ll probably just get it and give it a go (30 day money back) but just wondered if anyone uses it regularl and what they thought? Thanks
I have been using it for a couple of years, I like it and find it good value. I have recently also bought Capture One so that I can shoot tethered with my Fuji and ON1 only supports Canon and Nikon.

For that price, and the money back offer you can't go wrong, plenty of support and tutorials available on YT too.

Thanks- can it upload direct to flickr? Luminar does to Smugmug but not Flickr and the main reason I’m looking elsewhere is the slowness. I have a Sony but donot need the tethering.

I recently purchased ON1 to replace LR and PS next year when I retire - I'm a slow learner :)

So far I am rather impressed with it and can already get my images to look pretty much as they do when edited in LR. I also like the ability to do quick edits on images without having to import them first.

Hi, Used ON1 for many years now however it has not been cheap, a newer faster computer required as they moved up to On1 Photo RAW and there yearly updates really IMO are not that cheap, yes you can stick with what you have but how many people do that?I keep saying no more but always give in for the next version. Russ.

Hi, Used ON1 for many years now however it has not been cheap, a newer faster computer required as they moved up to On1 Photo RAW and there yearly updates really IMO are not that cheap, yes you can stick with what you have but how many people do that?I keep saying no more but always give in for the next version. Russ.
Yea same with Luminar really- but they are getting a lot of criticism with general slowness and crashing (although very stable on my mac mini

I've been using On1 for a couple of years as a replacement for Lightroom, and I honestly believe it produces better results than LR, and I've never experienced any speed issues with it.
At least you can choose whether to pay for an update or stay with what you have, just like the old days with Photoshop, where most people would choose to update every second or third version
I also have Affinity Photo as a replacement for Photoshop, but I find that having layers and masks, On1 can do most of the things I would have used Photoshop for.
So far the Affinity updates have been free!

I'd like to add that the "Inpainting" brush in Affinity, is one of the best object removal tools I have ever come across.

Last edited:
I've been using On1 for a couple of years as a replacement for Lightroom, and I honestly believe it produces better results than LR, and I've never experienced any speed issues with it.
At least you can choose whether to pay for an update or stay with what you have, just like the old days with Photoshop, where most people would choose to update every second or third version
I also have Affinity Photo as a replacement for Photoshop, but I find that having layers and masks. On1 can do most of the things I would have used Photoshop for.
So far the Affinity updates have been free!

I'd like to add that the "Inpainting" brush in Affinity, is one of the best object removal tools I have ever come across.
I'd agree 100% with all of this. :)

I use ON1 photo 10.5 for its masking abilities. The quick mask brush followed by the refine brush is the best method I have found to remove the background from my stacked macro shots. I find the interface a bit clunky (like the limited, pre-set zoom steps and having to move the view of the image by dragging a frame in a separate window), so it takes some getting used to - and also some playing with the shortcut key assignments to speed things up. But it does this particular job really efficiently and well once you you get the hang of it. I save the result to a .psp file which I can then open in GIMP, maintaining the layers, for the rest of my processing. I have not tried to used ON1 for anything else.

Example: Argyra leucocephala (Dolichopodidae) from a stack of 46 images, shot using Canon EOS R, MP-E65 macro, approx 3:1, F4, ISO 100:
before.jpg
Here is the stack before masking. I support the specimen on a headless micro-pin which I try not to push all the way through the thorax so that the pin is hidden by the fly's body. The blunt end of this pin then goes into a thin strip of plastazote coloured blue with a highlighter pen. This is not a colour you expect to see in nature - which makes it easier to mask out. The same principle as green or blue screens used in film making. The whole thing is supported several inches over a plain grey background paper - which is well out of focus in all the shots.

masked.jpg
Here is the result after masking with ON1. I make sure the refine brush has the "Color decontamination" option ticked to remove the blue fringing around the outline where the plastazote was in the background. The resulting masked fly layer, with a transparent background, can then be placed over whatever background I want - in this case a plain neutal grey - #AAAAAA (which pretty much matches the original background paper I used for these shots).

One of the great things this can do, and I don't know of any other software with this ability, is remove the background colour from the wings - leaving them semi-transparent in the mask. This then allows the preferred background to show through naturally. This is great if you need a white background (for example, if you want to put the resulting image inline in text) - otherwise the wings will look unnaturally dark making it look like a cardboard cutout!

Last edited:
Back