ON1

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
Good morning

I have just had my last month with adobe lightroom and photoshop due to too many errors and crashing on my 2017 iMac which their tech couldn't fix nor help me with.

So I'm looking for firstly a post-processing program, O/n1 has caught my eye and I like the look of it and its features, Do many people on here use it? What are the pros and cons over LR?

Thanks Tony

Last edited:
Hi Tony, I've been a long-time On1 user, although I normally use it as an external editor from Lightroom (version 6 - non subscription) for making deeper edits that LR can't do.

Compared with LR it's now good, although sometimes controls won't behave exactly as you'd expect *compared with Lightroom*. Once you've learned it then I think it will deliver just as good image quality, but you'll also have a wider range of tools available, and it's certainly worth downloading a free trial for a month just to see if you like it.

I've been using On1 as my raw developer for over two years and I feel it offers better results than those I used to get with Lightroom
One of the strengths of LR was it's highlight recovery, which I why I adopted LR in the first place.
On1 has better highlight recovery than LR, but you need to adjust your technique to get the best from it.
There are several useful tutorial videos on the On1 website, but basically to get the best highlight recovery you drop the overall exposure to get the highlights right, and then raise the shadows.
It has been said that Lightroom is all about highlight recovery, whereas On1 is about shadow recovery.
Another feature I like about On1 is that you don't need a "Catalog."

Last edited:
Hi Tony, I've been a long-time On1 user, although I normally use it as an external editor from Lightroom (version 6 - non subscription) for making deeper edits that LR can't do.

Compared with LR it's now good, although sometimes controls won't behave exactly as you'd expect *compared with Lightroom*. Once you've learned it then I think it will deliver just as good image quality, but you'll also have a wider range of tools available, and it's certainly worth downloading a free trial for a month just to see if you like it.
Thanks for the info, can you still buy LR 6? Yes there are plenty of effects/tools!

I've been using On1 as my raw developer for over two years and I feel it offers better results than those I used to get with Lightroom
One of the strengths of LR was it's highlight recovery, which I why I adopted LR in the first place.
On1 has better highlight recovery than LR, but you need to adjust your trechnique to get the best from it.
There are several useful tutorial videos on the On1 website, but basically to get the best highlight recovery you drop the overall exposure to get the highlights right, and then raise the shadows.
It has been said that Lightroom is all about highlight recovery, whereas On1 is about shadow recovery.
Another feature I like about On1 is that you don't need a "Catalog."

Thanks for the info Brian, is there no dedicated highlights slider within the software for On1?

Thanks for the info, can you still buy LR 6? Yes there are plenty of effects/tools!

Thanks for the info Brian, is there no dedicated highlights slider within the software for On1?

LR 6 is available as 'pre-owned' only, new copies not available. Re-registering a used copy can be a PITA, and having done this a year ago to 'upgrade' from LR5, I'm not sure it was worth it

There is a dedicated highlights slider in On1 PR (in fact there are several places where highlights can be controlled) but different software works in different ways. I find the Tone Enhancer filter in the effects side to work more like lightroom (and overall better) than the tone controls in the develop module. There are a LOT more controls for editing images in On1 PR than in Lightroom, and although there may be some overlap between controls within PR, they will usually work independantly.

Yes, there is a "Highlights" slider, but it has a relatively restricted range.
The User Interface of On1 is very similar to LR which makes the learning curve less steep.
I was watching one of those comparison videos on YouTube (can't remember the site) and they reckoned that On1 had the most similarity to Lightroom in its interface.
There is an extra "Midtones" slider as well as the usual Highlights and Shadows adjustments although, like most programs, there is a degree of overlap between the controls.

Why not download the free trial and see how you get on?

I am also an ON1 user and making the transition away from LR/PS. In the 6 months that I have been using the program I have become very impressed with the results I can get and find it more intuitive and easier to get to grips with than LR was.

There is a new version of ON1 due before the end of October and a pre-order discount available at the moment.

Ha Ha, I'm just going full circle back to photoshop/lightroom. On1 just became the same as adobe with their subscription plan which is exactly what they said they would not do.

Ha Ha, I'm just going full circle back to photoshop/lightroom. On1 just became the same as adobe with their subscription plan which is exactly what they said they would not do.
Strange. I just looked at the On1 website and there's no mention of a subscription for PhotoRAW, only for On1 360 (which is still a lot less than Adobe CC.)

The subscription is for the photo sharing app - 360, not photoraw. I imagine their customer base would evaporate if they changed that.

I suspect that any software that offers both a desktop and mobile option will end up with a subscription for the mobile element even if it's only to pay for the cloud storage. Fortunately, I have no desire or need for that.

Back