One boy and his dog again.

Very nice, exactly my kind of portrait shot. I would be tempted to darken the patch of ground you can see through the gap in the trees on the left of the frame as it drags my eyes away from the subject (actually, I would also probably add a blooming' great vignette but I know not many like that)

That's a really nice shot, just love the way the trees frame the portrait. Really great!

Really liking this, for a number of combined reasons;
The natural pose of the boy and the dog
Wonderful backdrop of the light
Natural archway and symmetry in the trees
The colours
I too, think a small vignette wouldn't go amiss either.

Definitely my kind of image...I love anything woodlands/forests etc

I agree with a small vignette, nothing drastic but I think it could work well for this :)

This is really nice. Lovely framing with the trees. Would look ace printed I think.

Square crop, make a duplicate layer, choose 'Multiply' as the blending option, then hit the subjects with a large soft brush tool.(y) You'll like it.

Thanks for all the positive comments folks. I've actually added a small vignette already but I'll have a play again and def burn that brighter patch. I have another shot that was in an even nicer spot than this was with the trees framing the subject. I'll post that later. I really love this sort of shooting, being in the woods and looking for interesting areas take photos. Thanks again.

Very nice indeed. I wouldn't add any more vignette; I find it quite pronounced already and the image is quite strong enough not to need it.
Have you tweaked the colours? I'm not looking on a calibrated monitor but the trees and ground seem curiously desaturated.

Lovely image the PP is great, my only one and very slight crit, is the subject is a little too central to the image, but that a personal hate of mine :D

Les ;)

Ps Even the Dog looks interested lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice indeed. I wouldn't add any more vignette; I find it quite pronounced already and the image is quite strong enough not to need it.
Have you tweaked the colours? I'm not looking on a calibrated monitor but the trees and ground seem curiously desaturated.

Thanks Simon, I had a play with a stronger vignette but it was a bit too much. I have desaturated the ground and trees a tiny bit as i think it suited the cold flat day. Not something i normally do but think it suits this one well.

Lovely image the PP is great, my only one and very slight crit, is the subject is a little too central to the image, but that a personal hate of mine :D

Les ;)

Ps Even the Dog looks interested lol

Thanks Les, i normally don't have the subjects in the middle but it really suits this i think with the trees converging either side.

I found this spot later which i think is an even better area than the first image with the trees but i don't like the photo as much. If that makes sense! And my missus doesn't like it as it's her and the dog!

And this is with no desaturation of the background so you can see there wasn't much colour anyway!

Tracy and Mack. (1 of 1) by nessiemac1, on Flickr

Oh no I quite like that...really love the light coming through at the back along with your dog so patiently waiting for a treat!

Others have already covered the critique part. I would just like to say that I like both of them, in the first the dog is the secondary subject to the boy and in the second the girl is the secondary subject to the dog, and both have lovely lighting.

Back