North England One day out in Lake District between Nov 13-14th

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
As above. Wouldn't mind some suggestions where to go. I'll be getting up early to make most of the day since it'll be short.

I'm coming from Keighley near Skipton.

As above. Wouldn't mind some suggestions where to go. I'll be getting up early to make most of the day since it'll be short.

I'm coming from Keighley near Skipton.

I've always been a sucker for Blea Tarn. Wast Water is great for sunrise/set.

Castlerigg Stone Circles is great on a cloudy and sunny day.

Rydal Water has loads of opportunities.

Duke of Portland Boat House for sunrise/set, can get very crowded, though.

Millennium Stones, of the water is high.

I've been up about 5 times this year and love the place :)

Enjoy.

Cheers.

For one day in November I would consider the circular walk round Loughrigg Fell.

Park up at Tarn Foot (should be OK first thing) then you've got the tarn for sunrise. Walk anticlockwise and you've got good outlooks on the Langdales then Ambleside for
food / drink and some street stuff then a nice stream to follow to Rydal water. Then a cave (OK slate mine) and the rather stunning terrace views over Grasmere with the option to walk to the top of the fell if your legs are up for it
and back to the tarn

The paths are very easy / safe to follow even if the weather closes in and it's the right side for Skipton.

Have a good day.
Steve

Loughrigg Fell seems interesting. Might give it a go :)

If your ever looking for someone local to shoot with David give me a shot shout I'm only in Steeton.
I love the lake District and have done a bit of walking up there in the past, it's a beautiful place

For one day in November I would consider the circular walk round Loughrigg Fell.

Park up at Tarn Foot (should be OK first thing) then you've got the tarn for sunrise. Walk anticlockwise and you've got good outlooks on the Langdales then Ambleside for
food / drink and some street stuff then a nice stream to follow to Rydal water. Then a cave (OK slate mine) and the rather stunning terrace views over Grasmere with the option to walk to the top of the fell if your legs are up for it
and back to the tarn

The paths are very easy / safe to follow even if the weather closes in and it's the right side for Skipton.

Have a good day.
Steve

Hi Steve. Thank you for the comment. Much appreciated.

I found this website. From looking at the photos it looks to be a nice walk with plenty to photograph. I'm heading out there on Monday very early and park on 'Vicarage Road' and walk clockwise. I'll walk up to the Fell summit. Should be fun !!

You may have trouble parking in Vicarage Road. It is a narrow road leading to the main church, and the main school. There are quite severe parking restrictions in force during the tripper months. These may have eased now that we are into November, but space will be tight.
You are better off parking in Under Loughrigg Road. I've marked it in red on your map. You can only get into it from the southern end - marked with a red X - and you cannot drive past where your blue track crosses it. Get there handy and you can park on the RH side against the wall next to the beck. Park as long as you like for free.
View attachment 114377

I was in the cave last Sunday. The light was ferociously harsh making shots out difficult. This is the best I could get. See if you can do better.
FUJI1618-Edit.jpg

Thank you. I'll remember that.

Hopefully I'll have the stamina to visit the cave :D

Can the water get any deeper that it is in your image?

The water in the RH side of the shot is seriously deep. I had wellies on and had no intention of going into the middle of it. However on the LH side of my shot there are stepping stones to allow you to get into the back of the cave where I was.These are on your RH side as you enter the cave. I was stood in water between 6 - 9 inches deep at the back.
The water doesn't look too deep because it is crystal clear - and cold!

Hi guys,

Didn’t really want to create my own thread cause there’s so many, but feel free to shoo me on..

I’m in the lakes this weekend. In fact, I’m in our rented cottage as i type this. Our cottage is between Coniston and Little Langdale. We have a car so getting around won’t be too tough but don’t want to spend too much time driving around. I’ve recently bought a tripod so I’d like to get some long exposure shots nailed..

Would be good if anyone had some spots that don’t involve too much hiking.. Not adverse to the effort, just time restrictions.

Thanks [emoji16]

The water in the RH side of the shot is seriously deep. I had wellies on and had no intention of going into the middle of it. However on the LH side of my shot there are stepping stones to allow you to get into the back of the cave where I was.These are on your RH side as you enter the cave. I was stood in water between 6 - 9 inches deep at the back.
The water doesn't look too deep because it is crystal clear - and cold!

Yes I've seen other photos of the water.

Sadly I'll be in my walking boots. They are waterproof and I don't mind walking in 1 or 2 inches of water as long as I'm careful. Hopefully I'll manage it.
It does look to be a nice place.

For parking I meant Loughrigg Road. It's the way Google Earth orientated the map when it came out of street view.

Blea Tarn.
Cathedral Cave.
Tilberthwaite.
Claife Heights.
Hodge Close (See if you can find your way down to the water's edge).
Little Langdale.

All within easy reach but you'll need some map reading ability.

Blea Tarn.
Cathedral Cave.
Tilberthwaite.
Claife Heights.
Hodge Close (See if you can find your way down to the water's edge).
Little Langdale.

All within easy reach but you'll need some map reading ability.

Funnily enough our cottage is up the road sign posted ‘Hodge Close Only’. On the drive up I managed to see a little of the surrounding area before the sun went down and it looks gorgeous. Lots of little streams so I’ll be exploring in the morning... there’s also a picture hanging up in the cottage of Cathedral Cave. Looks great. Would it be suitable for a dog too? She can wait outside with my other half if needed.. Little langdale and Tilberthwaite are on our tick list as it’s close by and in my little book of walks [emoji23]Is orrest head worth a drive too?

Last edited:
Yes. All dog friendly. The path down to the water at Hodge Close has an indistinct start. You have to trust yourself but it is worth it.

Orrest Head? Went once. Won' be going back. It's where grockles and grannies go. Tarmac road nearly all the way up. Nothing special in the view but the all think they'e been fell walking. Your life will be enriched if you give it miss. There are better places.

Yes. All dog friendly. The path down to the water at Hodge Close has an indistinct start. You have to trust yourself but it is worth it.

Orrest Head? Went once. Won' be going back. It's where grockles and grannies go. Tarmac road nearly all the way up. Nothing special in the view but the all think they'e been fell walking. Your life will be enriched if you give it miss. There are better places.

Ok. Orrest head is off the list.

The path to the water.. is it by any chance near a few cottages and outhouses? Parking near by too?

Think I’m going to get up literally at the crack of dawn to go exploring.

Please be dry tomorrow.

Yes. It's as far as you can go on the road. Most folk park approx half a mile before that at an obvious spot.
There's a broad track heading off to the right. Opposite a stone building there a few stone blocks making a mini stairway downwards. It' a bit steep and rough at first. You just have to trust yourself. Then it eases off then goes along a better path till you come to a big arch with two holes in it. One of them has what is known as the diving board. You'l see why if you get there.

Oh wow. That’s really helpful already mick. Thanks.

The only reason I ask is because our cottage has a path outside leading down into a wooded area. There is a parking area around 350m from here. Postcode for the cottage is LA218DH.

OK @Dashing
Google Earth view here...
Capture.jpg
According to Google you are staying in cottages in bottom LH corner, underneath the inset that says Map.
Go up the road and the last public parking is where marked. Maybe half a mile from where you are. Probably best to drive! Park on LH side of road, then cross over. Ignore the ropes that say "Do Not Cross". They are there for milennials and snowflakes. Take care and you can look down into the hole. It is big, and the sides are steep. Stand roughly where the map says Hodge Close.
Then walk up the road (another half mile) through the cluster of cottages and bear right. I've marked the way in, but as said it is indistinct, and tough. But it gets better. Then you walk along a canyon, through the arch and you'll come to the diving board, which is a lot of steel work that is mangled by falling rocks. Don't worry they have stopped falling now. (Would I lie to you?)

It's perfectly safe for dogs and wives, though southern townie types may be out of their comfort zone. Worth going? Definitely.

Picture of the cave from the inside. I've been there a few times and the stepping stones have always been clear of the water.
There a few other pics on my Flickr from the circular walk if you want to take a look.

Loughrigg Slate mine by Stephen.Palmer, on Flickr

Cheers
Steve

Thanks I'll take a look :)

OK @Dashing
Google Earth view here...
View attachment 114389
According to Google you are staying in cottages in bottom LH corner, underneath the inset that says Map.
Go up the road and the last public parking is where marked. Maybe half a mile from where you are. Probably best to drive! Park on LH side of road, then cross over. Ignore the ropes that say "Do Not Cross". They are there for milennials and snowflakes. Take care and you can look down into the hole. It is big, and the sides are steep. Stand roughly where the map says Hodge Close.
Then walk up the road (another half mile) through the cluster of cottages and bear right. I've marked the way in, but as said it is indistinct, and tough. But it gets better. Then you walk along a canyon, through the arch and you'll come to the diving board, which is a lot of steel work that is mangled by falling rocks. Don't worry they have stopped falling now. (Would I lie to you?)

It's perfectly safe for dogs and wives, though southern townie types may be out of their comfort zone. Worth going? Definitely.

Thank you so much Mick. This will be a perfect start to our day.

From there I think we’ll make our way to Little Langdale and Tilberthwaite.

Just seen another picture up here of Hodge Close Quarry. Assuming that’s the fallen steel work?

Just seen another picture up here of Hodge Close Quarry. Assuming that’s the fallen steel work?
Not seen that.
Sounds about right.
You can walk to Tilberthwaite from Hodge Close. It' interesting. Go left at the end of the road rather than right to the entry mentioned above. Map reading skills needed but worthwhile.

@mickledore.

Thanks so much for your directions. I almost gave up.. turns out I missed the right turn (it now has a sign post toward oxen fell) so I took a wander up there.. then seen a little ‘indistinct path’.

Got some nice pictures.. but struggled with the composition.. I’ll see what I can conjure up in pp haha.

Join the club. You have to work hard down there.
Glad you found the path - not easy to spot is it?

I’m glad you said that.

I returned home after trekking around trying to find it and my partner had a look at the photos and said they were very flat. That I should of explored some different angle! Took the wind right out of my sails...

No it’s not easy. Although I would add for other people trying to find it; take the path leading to Oxen fell and hug the drop to the right... when you look down and see lots of fallen rocks and think ‘it can’t be down there’, you found it! Haha.

Whereabouts are you staying? I think frost is forecast on Monday morning so if you can get up there for sunrise it could be special. Hard to point you in a direction if we don't know where you're going to be based, but it's the Lakes, it's all spectacular and there are shots to be had almost anywhere. Think lakeside reflections if still conditions or rugged areas such as the Langdales if moody skies

Whereabouts are you staying? I think frost is forecast on Monday morning so if you can get up there for sunrise it could be special. Hard to point you in a direction if we don't know where you're going to be based, but it's the Lakes, it's all spectacular and there are shots to be had almost anywhere. Think lakeside reflections if still conditions or rugged areas such as the Langdales if moody skies

Dashing is staying there for the weekend. I'm going on Monday for the day.

As it's meant to be frosty a good sunrise place could be the River Brathay near Elterwater, a bit of a cliche but it seems to deliver regularly. You'd also have Loughrigg Fell nearby if you fancied a climb and elevated views. Rydal Water has some nice trees and reeds at the Ambleside end of the lake, could look great frosted. Northern Lakes the Manesty area by Derwent Water has a lot of potential in those conditions and there are some photogenic little bays around that part of the lake

I'm going to Ambleside and walking up to Loughgill Fell, then to the Cave, and then I may go to Rydal. Then somewhere else depending on the time.

Pictures?
We need pictures.
Now!

Ok, well I’ve not got back to my computer yet so I’ve just had a quick play on phone editing..

I also feel I need to explain my edit on this is an attempt to make a flat photo not so boring haha.

Image1510439178.477890.jpg

Image1510439577.065269.jpg

I don’t think it’s cheating at all. Like you said, it’s tough down there. I think the mono works really well.

I'm setting off at my usual time for work (5:30ish am) and heading to Ambleside and parking on Under Loughrigg, then walking clockwise to the summit and then to Loughrigg Terrace, then to Rydal Cave.

Then I'm hinking about heading over Kirkstone Pass and parking at the north end of Brothers Water, then following the road again to Aira Force. Then probably home.

Back