One deadly weekend in America. BBC prog

Its their country and if they want to legally own guns its up to them, going a bit US here and poking our nose in

Too much money in the gun trade to ever be banned and for a while not long ago S&W was British owned

Let's say ban all guns in America because they kill people.... isn't guns banned in UK a long time ago? What do muslims use now to kill cause chaos/suffering people in the streets of Londonistan? Vehicles, machetes, acid?

I am a British citizen living in America at the moment, I see that gun owners are the most law abiding and friendliest people in here TBH.

The gun violence you hear about, mostly happen in California and Chicago, these s***holes are the Democrat infested places where they are strict on guns, even buying ammunition, they require a valid I.D. and yet, the criminals still acquire guns.

But you never hear about the guy who used a gun to protect himself, and most recently, a good guy with a gun who saved a police officer by shooting at the criminal in Arizona.

Speaking of California, Robbie Williams (correction: Robin Williams) didn't own a gun, but he still killed himself with a rope... wanna ban ropes now?

There is also a correlation between suicide and taking anti depressants, but that is another topic for another day.

These are some of my toys:
30742354791_1fd28b06ec_z.jpg

30209364564_4fa5b4de39_z.jpg

31568597363_b03fc64495_z.jpg

35070421131_272f6804b6_z.jpg

I think i get it.

You are pro guns, pro Republican, pro Trump. Why anyone in a first World country (supposedly) needs to own assault rifles is beyond me.

Please stay in the US for as long as you like. I am surprised that I didn't see a confederate flag or two in the pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK, you must have an Air Weapon Certificate to own an airgun in Scotland. You need to show 'good reason' - amongst other things - and the fee is £72.
Fair point, I'd forgotten about the (relatively new) AWC in Scotland. But, as I understand it, it's just a very simple licencing system that they now have there, it means that people have to buy a licence but the licencing system doesn't seem to actually restrict ownership.
Its also worth pointing out that does vary widely by police force (and area). For example there are considerably less people holding a gun in the Met's area (I think its about 1 in 500) against parts of Wales where its nearer 1 in 50.
Although different police forces do tend to interpret to rules in their own ways, the differences are really about economics and space rather than police forces. For example tomorrow (as always) I'll be off clay shooting - 10 miles each way to the farm where it's held, £18 for the club and £19 for the cartridges which, for 100 shots, is a pretty cheap hobby. I do that twice a week in the winter, 3 or 4times a week in the summer and it's easily affordable, if it wasn't then I wouldn't be able to get through at least 10,000 cartridges every year... But in London, with very few shooting grounds and very high prices, it costs a fortune. And for rifle shooting, I have my own farm. When I was living in London I had to travel to Bisley, which is very expensive.
The farm is in North Yorkshire and personally I don't know anyone there who doesn't have both shotguns and rifles, they are just farm tools, used to control pests.

We can be critical of the USA system (and I'm very critical of it) but we should remember that here in the UK there was zero licencing until about 1922 (a goverment reaction to the Russian revolution, spawned by fear of the same thing happening here) and that only applied to rifles and handguns. Shotgun licencing didn't happen until 1986, before that we just went to the post office once a year and gave them 50p for a licence, no questions asked, no record even of the name and address, and when I bought my first shotgun I bought it from Littlewoods mail order:)
As with so many things, we're ahead of the yanks, but we used to be in pretty much the same place.

Last edited:
For example tomorrow (as always) I'll be off clay shooting - 10 miles each way to the farm where it's held, £18 for the club and £19 for the cartridges which, for 100 shots, is a pretty cheap hobby.

It often surprises people that with the 10 miles I have a choice of four clay grounds, none of them are as cheap as yours though (the vary between £26 and £40 for 100 clays) - stretch it out to 20 miles (which can be as quick depending on traffic) and there is a very wide choice. (still none as cheap though)

Well, this has gone off piste. Appalled at the site of posting and boasting about automatic weapons. Same old arguments; but Obama was right about no other advanced nation having such an appalling death toll from guns.

Well, this has gone off piste. Appalled at the site of posting and boasting about automatic weapons. Same old arguments; but Obama was right about no other advanced nation having such an appalling death toll from guns.
Yes he was and I think he said his biggest regret being unable to make change. The yanks will never get put of this mode they have far to many guns in circulation now to ever be reeled in. Unfortunately we just need to let them get on with it. At least most of the gun crime is amongst the areas of their society that is generally involved in crime related matters.

Yes he was and I think he said his biggest regret being unable to make change. The yanks will never get put of this mode they have far to many guns in circulation now to ever be reeled in. Unfortunately we just need to let them get on with it. At least most of the gun crime is amongst the areas of their society that is generally involved in crime related matters.

I think I saw a documentary, where he said "I am US President and I cannot change a thing". The differences between Obama and Trump are many, but with Obama, you basically had an intelligent guy, who had empathy, who was really pro gun control, and played by the rules. Trump is a narccisistic. egomaniac who acts without thinking.

Facts that I experience myself... ans sorry, I meant Robin Williams... lmao

Those aren't facts, just anecdotal statements.....and most of them b******t.

I think i get it.

You are pro guns, pro Republican, pro Trump. Why anyone in a first World country (supposedly) needs to own assault rifles is beyond me.

Fun to shoot? Because they can. I honestly have no problem with responsible ownership, shooting at ranges, competitions etc for any firearm. Open carry of automatic weapons however is just weird.

Shot recently in eastern europe, under supervision, competing with different weapons against others.
164864318.jpg

164864339.jpg

Last edited:
Clay shooting inear us is cheap although 1000 cartridges is now around £200. Clay shooting my way is £13 for 50 clays on two local sunday morning shoots, or £18 per 50 at Barbury Shooting grounds for non members, but for that you get free coffee, cleaning materials and a selection of 20 stands of varying difficulty

@viv1969 sorry - edited my post to include pics, after you liked it...
Open carry of automatic weapons is just really weird though. Who the heck needs to carry a weapon like that around in the streets, loaded.

Last edited:
@viv1969 sorry - edited my post to include pics, after you liked it...
Open carry of automatic weapons is just really weird though. Who the heck needs to carry a weapon like that around in the streets, loaded.

I agree. Open carry is very odd.
But I'd go further and say that private ownership, at all, of assault rifles is deranged.

But I'd go further and say that private ownership, at all, of assault rifles is deranged.

Each to their own... some people would find the thought of being flat on a damp floor getting pics of a steam train deranged!

Guns probably have their own charm, looks, feel, history etc... assault rifles is all about power, like having a v12 500BHP car I guess.

Each to their own... some people would find the thought of being flat on a damp floor getting pics of a steam train deranged!

Guns probably have their own charm, looks, feel, history etc... assault rifles is all about power, like having a v12 500BHP car I guess.

Odd analogy, but Ok...if you say so.o_O

I don't understand horse riding (only 1 hp) but have been told by many that it's about controlling a powerful animal. Guess that says something about human nature

I don't understand horse riding (only 1 hp) but have been told by many that it's about controlling a powerful animal. Guess that says something about human nature

Years ago, there was an article in a mainstream broadsheet newspaper, about a journalist who wanted to hunt and shoot a large baboon - because that would be the nearest you could get to shooting a human, without being charged with murder.
Here is the article.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/oct/26/aa-gill-shot-baboon

Personally, I think that A A Gill is a pretty sick person - anyone who kills a living creature for "fun" is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
How many gun owners in the US, who own assault rifle, would really like the chance to use them on people rather than paper targets or animals?

Give everyone an assault rifle in US of A when they leave school that should sort it all out real quick.

Give everyone an assault rifle in US of A when they leave school that should sort it all out real quick.

Years ago, there was an article in a mainstream broadsheet newspaper, about a journalist who wanted to hunt and shoot a large baboon - because that would be the nearest you could get to shooting a human, without being charged with murder.
Here is the article.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/oct/26/aa-gill-shot-baboon

Personally, I think that A A Gill is a pretty sick person - anyone who kills a living creature for "fun" is a few sandwiches short of a picnic.
How many gun owners in the US, who own assault rifle, would really like the chance to use them on people rather than paper targets or animals?

While I have no desire to kill for fun, is it any worse than say bullfighting or fishing where rather than being despatched quickly they are subject to prolonged pain and suffering? Some people would also argue that things like horse racing (Grand National) are cruel too.

I am not denying that gun ownership is a massive factor (and US with 112 guns per 100 people have double per head compared to the next), but countries like Germany, Finland, Sweden, Canada, Cyprus have more than 30 guns per 100 people but don't have the same problems so there is a huge cultural factor too.

While I have no desire to kill for fun, is it any worse than say bullfighting or fishing where rather than being despatched quickly they are subject to prolonged pain and suffering? Some people would also argue that things like horse racing (Grand National) are cruel too.

I don't agree, animals can serve man for sport as long as they are not forced to suffer beyond a point.
Animals serve man for food again as long as they do not suffer.

Animals very rarely kill each other for sport as men do.

the yanks and guns thing cannot be debated with internet logic.
100s of years ago a stupid piece of paper was badly written and worded and opened a can of worms that now can not be closed.
the only thing that can really happen in the USA is treat guns like cigarettes and simply ban them in all public places and enforce it with extreme measures.

in schools in the UK we have searches and metal detectors to stop knife carry and crime but all it does is provide safe spaces

You're referring to the 2nd amendment? Written without the foresight to see modern weapons you mean?

I don't think much of it in general, we as British have had similar rules and laws that we have changed and dropped over the centuries as they are outdated and out of touch with modern life.
The yanks are still at war with their own shadows

I don't think much of it in general, we as British have had similar rules and laws that we have changed and dropped over the centuries as they are outdated and out of touch with modern life.
The yanks are still at war with their own shadows

That may well be but we have no written construction to change

Domestic cats do. Foxes also get into a blood lust killing everything in a coop.[

Well that's pretty much covered all the animals in the world with that massive selection.....sigh

you did read the words I put yeah the bit

"Animals very rarely kill each"

What do you mean by "assault rifle" ?

Actually I think it better that you stay where you are.......Please

You don't need to tell me, I have actually decided to stay here. And I also know of a few Brits born in UK (white folks, not brown like myself) who moved here and didn't want to go back.

Last edited:
the only thing that can really happen in the USA is treat guns like cigarettes and simply ban them in all public places and enforce it with extreme measures.
I'm sure you know, but incase you don't there's a neat definition in US law

What I'm trying to say is, do you think the ones in my picture are "assault weapons"

I doubt it. Do any of these have selective fire capability, or are they just AR 15 types?

The two rifles look like it. But it's impossible to answer that definitively from the photos you've posted

They are NOT. Owning one, I would be breaking the law. And "AR" stands for Armalite Rifle, not Assault Rifle.

My AR15's have single or Semi Auto capability. The so called Assault rifles used by the military have AUTOMAtic capability.

The two rifles look like it.

36795070160_dd4ae944c8_o.jpg

its-because-im-black-isnt-it1.jpg,

People might have heard of guns easily ordered on the internet.

It is true guns can be ordered on the internet by a civilian within the US, but the guns will NOT be delivered to your house. The gun will be delivered to a FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer, and you would have to go to them and fill out the form. Before you can have the gun, the FFL dealer will check your info's and will call FBI in front of you to let them check your records. If you have a criminal record, even domestic violence (I think), that's it, you can drool all you want, and say bye bye gun...

Why do some people order guns from the internet?
Sometimes the gun you want is out of stock from teh local gun store,
Some people (like myself) want to avoid paying state taxes.... just like folks in UK ordering camera/lenses from DigitalRev to avoid tax.

Anyway, people will always have different opinions about guns. I don't care what people say, but as long as I can legally own and use guns, I will do so... a right I unexpectedly am enjoying here which i was not able to in UK.

Have a nice day folks, happy shooting, whatever you shoot with ( Canon Vs Nikon ?) !!!

Last edited:
They are NOT. Owning one, I would be breaking the law. And "AR" stands for Armalite Rifle, not Assault Rifle.

My AR15's have single or Semi Auto capability. The so called Assault rifles used by the military have AUTOMAtic capability.

Anyway, people will always have different opinions about guns. I don't care what people say, but as long as I can legally own and use guns, I will do so... a right I unexpectedly am enjoying here which i was not able to in UK.

Have a nice day folks, happy shooting, whatever you shoot with ( Canon Vs Nikon ?) !!!

The US definition in the (admittedly now expired) assult weapon bans didn't include full auto capability. Just started the definition as semi auto. That's what I'm basing my comments on.

Anyway I hope you enjoy your shooting as much as I enjoy mine.to answer your question as well as Nikon, Berretta. I'm certainly not anti gun :)

36795070160_dd4ae944c8_o.jpg

its-because-im-black-isnt-it1.jpg,

It is true guns can be ordered on the internet by a civilian within the US, but the guns will NOT be delivered to your house. The gun will be delivered to a FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer, and you would have to go to them and fill out the form. Before you can have the gun, the FFL dealer will check your info's and will call FBI in front of you to let them check your records. If you have a criminal record, even domestic violence (I think), that's it, you can drool all you want, and say bye bye gun...

Why do some people order guns from the internet?
Sometimes the gun you want is out of stock from teh local gun store,
Some people (like myself) want to avoid paying state taxes.... just like folks in UK ordering camera/lenses from DigitalRev to avoid tax.

good for you, i'm just glad you and you're red neck cousins are nice and hemmed in with your borders and not over here.

i'm olympus m4/3rd

Well that's pretty much covered all the animals in the world with that massive selection.....sigh

you did read the words I put yeah the bit

"Animals very rarely kill each"

Yup but I was responding to your line "Animals very rarely kill each other for sport as men do.", because there are animals that do, regularly, hence the two examples.
Killing animals for sport. Do you distinguish between trophy hunting and hunting to eat the kill?

What do you mean by "assault rifle" ?.

As you know, the assault weapon ban of 1994 expired in 2004 when congress didn't vote to renew it, but under that law the classification was:
In general, the AWB defined any firearm as an assault weapon if it had a detachable magazine and at least two other certain characteristics.

For rifles, those characteristics included:
  • Telescoping stock
  • Pistol grip
  • Bayonet mount
  • Grenade launcher
  • Flash suppressor
For shotguns, they included:
  • Telescoping stock
  • Pistol grip
  • A capacity to hold more than five rounds
For handguns, they included:
  • Threaded barrels made to attach a barrel extender, handgrip or flash suppressor
  • A barrel shroud that can be used as a handhold
  • Weight of at least 50 oz. when unloaded
Nineteen models of firearms were specifically named in the legislation as assault weapons, and other models were included under the umbrella of the law’s definition of assault weapons.

Since we're mentioning AR15's, this is one of the rifles that became classified as an assault weapon under the AWB even though it's a .223 caliber and is banned from hunting in most states because of this.
the AR15 with it's small caliber was specifically designed to shoot people.

Nice weapon to shoot though at targets, especially with a good sight and laser pointer. I think a lot of owners love these because they are completely customisable. There's also a strange rule in some states ( I know florida has it) that means there's a 3 day wait for handguns but you can buy a rifle straight away. These are things that seem alien to us.

The trouble is, because of this, it's also the mass shooters weapon of choice
http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...became-mass-shooters-weapon-of-choice-w451452

Last edited:

This assumes that the law abiding US citizen wishes to purchase his/her state of the art killing machine from a dealer.
In the US, it is very easy to purchase from a private seller without any of these checks taking place, and it is perfectly legal.
Even at gun shows, you can have private sellers displaying their wares next to official dealers. The only difference is that one sale will involve lots of paperwork and the other is "no questions asked".

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/19/news/guns-background-checks/index.html

Back