One deadly weekend in America. BBC prog

This assumes that the law abiding US citizen wishes to purchase his/her state of the art killing machine from a dealer.
In the US, it is very easy to purchase from a private seller without any of these checks taking place, and it is perfectly legal.
Even at gun shows, you can have private sellers displaying their wares next to official dealers. The only difference is that one sale will involve lots of paperwork and the other is "no questions asked".

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/19/news/guns-background-checks/index.html
Yeah it's just nuts weapons that can kill 100s of people can be essentially bought of Gumtree. And the supposed holier than thou yanks refuse to even plug that insane loophole. I assume it's all about not infringing the rights of the criminals.

This assumes that the law abiding US citizen wishes to purchase his/her state of the art killing machine from a dealer.
In the US, it is very easy to purchase from a private seller without any of these checks taking place, and it is perfectly legal.
Even at gun shows, you can have private sellers displaying their wares next to official dealers. The only difference is that one sale will involve lots of paperwork and the other is "no questions asked".

With caveats. The purchaser and seller need to be residents of the same state, the transaction has to take place in that state, and it must allow face to face transfers. Some states insist on a background check through an FFL.

As you know, the assault weapon ban of 1994 expired in 2004 when congress didn't vote to renew it, but under that law the classification was:
In general, the AWB defined any firearm as an assault weapon if it had a detachable magazine and at least two other certain characteristics.

A hunting rifle in.30 calibre is a lot more powerful than a .223/5.56, and some hunting rifles have magazines with 5 to 10 rounds. .223 calibre guns are banned for hunting in most states because they are not powerful enough to kill an animal humanely.

In california, you can only have any gun with a maximum of 10 rounds per magazine. With an AR15, one can't easily release the magazine with the magazine release. You need a tool to use and push the magazine release, and most people use the tip of an ammo, hence they call it "bullet button". California has even gone further last year, they say you can only release the magazine by disassembling the bottom half of an Ar15. And you can only buy ammunition in a store with a background check (just like purchasing a gun), and you can't buy in bulk too...

The wait times are stupid rules. Even suppressors (regulators in UK I think) are NFA items that needs a stamp and $200 fee and a minimum 6 months wait time. While in UK, you can make your own I think because it is not a gun

That is not TOTALLY true. Any sane seller and/or buyer knows that they can only sell/buy at a gun show if the seller/buyer are legally both from the same state, and they need to show a valid ID before the transaction. So Californians cannot buy/sell to Arizona residents/vice versa. But the dodgy people do so anyway... in short, the strict regulations only restricts the law abiding, but not the criminals. .

Based on your statement, I can just assume that majority of people who are so against guns, are the ones who have never even operated one. Just like my sister's husband, a lawyer who is so anti gun (but he defends convicted felons against death penalty). When I asked him what guns he has used, he said, he actually has never touched any gun his whole life and he will never touch one "because guns are deadly". When I asked him why he labels these guns killing machines and deadly, like you mentioned in your reply, he said, because there is "intent" to kill or use these weapons as killing tools and it has the capacity to kill en mass. Well I have no intention of killing people with my guns. And I asked him if he wants to ban planes too because planes have the capacity to kill lots on people in a blink of an eye... he resorted to name calling...

Bearing in mind the damage which has been caused by the hurricanes in the West Indies, surrounding islands and Florida, and the looting which has taken place following the devastation, this is the NRA's reaction to US troops confiscating US citizens weapons in the US Virgin Islands.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...rs-national-guard-to-seize-americans-firearms

And the state said they need the guns and ammunition for the coming hurricane ???

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...rs-national-guard-to-seize-americans-firearms[/QUOTE]
Yeah it's just nuts weapons that can kill 100s of people can be essentially bought of Gumtree. And the supposed holier than thou yanks refuse to even plug that insane loophole. I assume it's all about not infringing the rights of the criminals.

As with individual internet sales, the seller will need go to a FFL dealer and have them send the gun to the buyer's FFL dealer to do the check...

Last edited:
But not every Tom d******d or Harry owns a 'plane.
Nor is their given use, to kill.

A hunting rifle in.30 calibre is a lot more powerful than a .223/5.56, and some hunting rifles have magazines with 5 to 10 rounds. .223 calibre guns are banned for hunting in most states because they are not powerful enough to kill an animal humanely.

Yup, as I said. I also said the AR15 is the US's most popular rifle, mostly because of the customisation ability of it. The recoil is minimal, meaning it's easy to fire off several shots quickly and accurately However I question the need for anyone to own such a weapon, especially as it's been used in shootings such as Sandy Hook, Aurora, San Bernardino, pulse nightclub in Orlando etc. The whole point of these weapons with these smaller calibers but higher muzzle velocity is to kill people. That's their sole purpose.

Then you bring in open carry for rifles, concealed carry with no permit, different rules across different states, before we even bring in stand your ground
http://smartgunlaws.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/guns-in-public/stand-your-ground-laws/

It's why other places look on the US gun laws as antiquated

Yup, as I said. I also said the AR15 is the US's most popular rifle, mostly because of the customisation ability of it. The recoil is minimal, meaning it's easy to fire off several shots quickly and accurately However I question the need for anyone to own such a weapon, especially as it's been used in shootings such as Sandy Hook, Aurora, San Bernardino, pulse nightclub in Orlando etc. The whole point of these weapons with these smaller calibers but higher muzzle velocity is to kill people. That's their sole purpose.

Then you bring in open carry for rifles, concealed carry with no permit, different rules across different states, before we even bring in stand your ground
http://smartgunlaws.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/guns-in-public/stand-your-ground-laws/

It's why other places look on the US gun laws as antiquated

Those places you mentioned above, are supposed to be "Gun Free Zones"... did the laws stop the criminal? No...

It's because someone used the AR15 to kill people, everyone shouldn't own one? How about the vehicles in London used by the muslim to massacre people? Should people not own vehicles then?

People who want to kill, will always find something available to use.

Banning guns is not the solution.... and that solution, I don't know....

===================
Open carry, I always see them in my local walmart...

Stand your Ground and Castle Doctrine, I hope I don't have to exercise that right.

Last edited:
I can understand owning guns for sport, I have shotguns and air rifles, used to shoot rifles and pistols for target competitions before they were banned here.
But there's a lot of ownership in the us that's not for competition, but for 'protection', which you have to understand is strange for us.
The number of guns, the right to open carry, the availability, and the laws surrounding the use or threat having similar penalties means that the number of deaths become inevitable.
It's not just the AR15, we're just using that as an example, seeing as you posted a photo of one, as did I (it's on the table of 6). It's the whole gun culture and ownership because you can, and because you can, lots of people think they then need one for protection, it becomes normal, when to other countries it appears to be anything but normal.

And we've another shooting tonight in Washington state. One dead, three hospitalised in Freeman high school. The ease of availability means that actions often take the place of words.

You're right, banning guns isn't the solution, but some sort of creditable control and limitation of ownership must be.

Last edited:
What needs to happen in yank land is a referendum for change with a few simple options and let the entire country have a choice to make suggestions.

326 million population and they manage to come up with two sensible candidates.

Comparing guns with planes and vans is nonsense. I go back to the appalling death toll in America and repeat that no other advancednation in the world has this. In Australia, there was one incident in Tasmanaia where people died as a result of a man shooting people. A ban was placed on owning such items and hey presto no more mass shootings.

Last edited:
Back