One for critique, long exposure off the Portuguese coast

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
Hello all,

Not posted anything for critique for a long time but I am feeling especially pleased with this one, and I am always looking to improve. So lets have at it!

Yesterday we visited Praia do Magoito, a beach in Sintra. As we approached the temperature dropped and for what should have been a gorgeous sunset was interrupted by this enormous moody grey/dark cloud which I actually welcomed and relished. Coupled with it being high tide, there was a light mist in the air...some really special conditions to shoot in.

Anyway, here it is.

JLE01092-3.jpg

Tech details:

Olympus E-M5 Mark II
Olympus 7-14 f/2.8 PRO shot at 7mm
f/8.0 for 20s
ISO100
Nisi 10 Stop with a Lee 2 stop hard grad. (Lee is borrowed)

Looking forward to any and all feedback.
:)

Thanks
Jake

Last edited:
I really like it. A seriously moody shot. My only niggle is the diagonal rocks are quite central. Have you tried cropping the right hand side to offset it? It would also create a nice zig-zag over to the left with the surf towards the headland. Having said that I still like your crop too. Nice work.

Thanks Birdy! I have played around with the crop a bit, originally I had the rocks more in the bottom left corner. I can try cropping off the right hand size a bit, however there is nothing left on the left, that is as far as it goes unfortunately. Thanks for your feedback :)

Very nice, but maybe because the rocks lead to the right, it would be better to crop out the headland altogether? I do this all the time, try and get everything into one frame. Whereas it going for simplicity of just the rock in one image, and taking a separate photo for the headlands.

Works for me, nice and moody. I can understand the reasons some have given for cropping but I wouldn't do it, it would kill any breathing space for the foreground rocks and their surroundings

Thanks for the comments all. I have played around with the crop a lot, I remain quite undecided in some remarks but still toying around with it. Very good food for thought!

Very nice indeed. I agree with Scirocco, can't see any crop that would improve it and I like the headland balancing the rockform. Fab bit of stormy sky and light.

The vignette is very heavy and is murdering the detail in the corners. I'd like to see it completely gone. Then it is probably OK, just hope you didn't darken the sky or I'd dial it back a little, but probably it is down to that vignettte.

I like it
Though I would say you should look at the PP again as the histogram reaches niether black or white and the image is losing imapct beacuse of it.

What do you think of the 7-14mm with the Nisi filter holder?
I have a panasoic 8-18mm and use 85 mm filters

:olympus:

The vignette is very heavy and is murdering the detail in the corners. I'd like to see it completely gone. Then it is probably OK, just hope you didn't darken the sky or I'd dial it back a little, but probably it is down to that vignettte.

Hmm just tried removing that and its made a bigger difference than I thought it would (the vignette)

Sky itself isn't darkened by me.

I like it
Though I would say you should look at the PP again as the histogram reaches niether black or white and the image is losing imapct beacuse of it.

What do you think of the 7-14mm with the Nisi filter holder?
I have a panasoic 8-18mm and use 85 mm filters

:olympus:

The PP I am playing with a lot. I also have another version of those shot with a lot more water, and honestly I think I am leaning toward that....typical! I will re-review and keep a closer eye on the histogram :)

The 7-14mm is a beast of a lens, I am not using the Nisi filter holder though. I am using the one from shapeways. The Nisi one whilst it avoids cropping/vignetting, you're then using 150mm filters, which get very expensive :/

Love the feel of the shot really good, verging on fine art.

My thinking with vignettes is you should not be able to notice them, so use them subtly rather than blatantly...

Back