One for the thrill seekers

S

Steve

Anyone into roller coasters should be interested in this. It has only just opened making it the tallest, fastest coaster in the world. As usual the Americans do things bigger than us Brits so if you want to ride this beast you will have to travel to Six Flags theme park in New Jersey.

KingdaRender1.jpg

Kingda Ka Stats

• Type of coaster: Hydraulic launch, aka rocket coaster
• Height: 456 feet (tallest in the world when it debuts)
• Top speed: 128 mph (fastest in the world when it debuts)
• Coaster elements: 456-foot tall top hat tower, with 90-degree ascent and descent
• 129-foot second hill designed to provide free-floating airtime.

It is over in the blink of an eye. Well, OK, 50.6 seconds to be exact. But, what an exhilarating not-quite-a-minute Kingda Ka (Swahili for "omigod, what a ride") will be. According to Six Flags Great Adventure, the coaster uses a hydraulic launch to blast off horizontally and reach 128 mph--yeah, you read that right, 128 freakin' mph--in 3.5 seconds. That'll be 8 mph faster than Cedar Point's similar Top Thrill Dragster, which will be downgraded to the world's second-fastest roller coaster in 2005.

Like Ohio's Dragster and other launched coasters, Kingda Ka climbs a top-hat tower at 90 degrees. In this case, the apex of the tower will reach a staggering 456 feet, or 36 feet taller than Cedar Point's reigning (but not for long) champ. We're talking over 45 stories in the air. You won't have much time to either appreciate the view or get freaked out, however. The trains crest the tower and plummet 418 feet straight down the other side before entering into a 270-degree vertical spiral.
Kingda Ka uses some of its incredible height and speed to deliver some of that delirious airtime that coaster lovers crave. After the top hat, it climbs a 129-foot tall hill designed to induce weightlessness. Then it's back to the station.

Anticipating huge demand, the rocket coaster has four trains and two loading platforms in its station. Manufactured by Swiss ride manufacturer Intamin, the thrill machine will use an over-the-shoulder safety restraint system.

You can see photos of the coaster here

And a video here

not for me ta!

That looks a lot like Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point.

Top%20Thrill%20Dragster.jpg

I can feel my dinner coming up already!!

Without wishing to poopoo the whole rollercoaster thang, what is the point of being whizzed round at high speeds with lots of other people screaming in your ear? I just dont get the attraction, the wife loves them though, thinks im a boring old git....

you fly your own chopper(g'dmorning)

EosD said:
Without wishing to poopoo the whole rollercoaster thang, what is the point of being whizzed round at high speeds with lots of other people screaming in your ear? I just dont get the attraction, the wife loves them though, thinks im a boring old git....

To answer your question "boring old git" :LOL: for the mere mortals amongst us that can’t afford helicopter rides or have friends that fly them, going on theses extreme coasters is big thrill. Put bluntly they allow you to be scared out of your wits whilst remaining fairly safe. Some people ride them for that fear feeling, others for the extreme G forces and feelings of weightlessness that are common forces experienced whilst on these rides. For most people these rides are the only affordable and safe ways to experience those feelings.

LOL :) Sorry Steve ! i USED to be able to afford to fly them ! not any more ! They are VERY expensive hobby ! lol

and believe it or not, i am afraid of heights ! LOL well not all heights, but seemingly silly ones, ladders, glass lifts etc ! but i used to sit at 1000 feet with nothing under me bum but a couple inches of foam and some thin strips of aluminium !

I dont mind rollercoasters, have been on a few, guess i am getting old and jaded !

Ill get me coat, taxi for Cook ! ;) LOL

Not intending to be-little people that do get thrills from them, as i think i have said before, how boring would this world of ours be if we all liked the same things ! :)

Not my cuppa tea at all thanks. I remember going on the old Grand National at Blackpool and I swear my ass wasn't in contact with the seat from start to finish! :shock: I also remember a woman getting chucked off the Grand National - she didnt bounce! ! :( In fairness, I seem to recall she stood up or something stupid.

I'm a bit of a control freak I suppose. Is this risky? Do I really need to be doing this? ...... 'bye! :LOL:

Don’t like heights myself, the waltzer is enough to make me dizzy and sickly, I have never liked the idea of regurgitating my food for self amusement. But then I’m probably just a boring old git as well. :crying:

Why dont they have any of these extreme coasters in Orlando :evil:

I'd love to have a go on that :shock:

Back