One from today (one added)

Oh crumbs, this thread escalated from when I looked earlier and made a point to reply! Ha.

I love it, the colour especially. It's beautiful. I am all for the crop too, but as @Sir SR has mentioned, it's a discussion that has been done to death. There is no correct, or incorrect.

Just scrolled up again. It is really beautiful. What someone mentioned as highlights under the lower lip, appear to me to be the contours of her lip itself?
Hi Kris. In total agreement with everyone else it's a fab image. Well done fella :)

Gaz

Thanks fellas. Means a lot that many great snappers whose work I admire have responded positively to this one :)

One point I haven't mentionewd, is that of her larger lead eye. I have had this before from her and actually reduced in size during the edit but then went back and left, as is. Maybe it's a natural expression?

Had a quick edit of another one last night that I quite liked. Sorry, it's another head chopper! I should take a little more time really and practice D&B but it's so time consuming. Quite different for me being so square on. Interesting how her left eye is a little bigger than the right. I had a strip box on the floor behind to give the fall-off effect at the time but when I get time I may well lose that. Opinions?

28575668254_059d80d021_b.jpg

Had a quick edit of another one last night that I quite liked. Sorry, it's another head chopper! I should take a little more time really and practice D&B but it's so time consuming. Quite different for me being so square on. Interesting how her left eye is a little bigger than the right. I had a strip box on the floor behind to give the fall-off effect at the time but when I get time I may well lose that. Opinions?

28575668254_059d80d021_b.jpg

Interesting.. the tight frame & face square on make for slightly uncomfortable viewing. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I wonder how it would look with a square crop? Or maybe with shoulders square to the camera it does need the whole head?

Interesting.. the tight frame & face square on make for slightly uncomfortable viewing. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I wonder how it would look with a square crop? Or maybe with shoulders square to the camera it does need the whole head?

I quite like a mono version here which I have straightened a bit.

28576553544_48a7ec1a19_b.jpg

Another head cropper here ;)
As mentioned above, it's all subjective and is a discussion for another time (if at all)

I like these latter portraits too Kris, particularly the lighting on them. The fall off on the lhs of your daughters face is very subtle and effective.
I'm biased also on the square on composition, I think it shows a strength of character in your model, a confident, headstrong young woman. That's how I read your portrait.

I like the square on pose - have been doing a bit more myself. The only thing for me is the hair shadow camera right in the left side of her face where the key is being reflected back. Just caught my eye a bit!

In this later one, I recognize the image
quality but the model is not with you! :(

I like the square on pose - have been doing a bit more myself. The only thing for me is the hair shadow camera right in the left side of her face where the key is being reflected back. Just caught my eye a bit!

I was thinking the same too. Quickly and crudely done (I'll tweak it later when I have time)

29200179865_36b8fe6f39_b.jpg

Another head cropper here ;)
As mentioned above, it's all subjective and is a discussion for another time (if at all)

I like these latter portraits too Kris, particularly the lighting on them. The fall off on the lhs of your daughters face is very subtle and effective.
I'm biased also on the square on composition, I think it shows a strength of character in your model, a confident, headstrong young woman. That's how I read your portrait.

She's definitely not lacking in confidence Iain and I agree with what you say.

In this later one, I recognize the image
quality but the model is not with you! :(

It's the attitude stance Daniel - just as soon as she turned 13 it showed up right on cue.

That subtle change pp'ing the shadow has made a difference Kris, elevated what I thought was already a fantastic portrait.
I understand what @Kodiak Qc Daniel is saying about your daughter not being with you but think that works rather than detracting.
It gives the portrait a little edge, attitude if you will. I think that's a good thing, something a little different, a side to your daughter which you and your family may recognise and think, yes we've seen that face before haha!

I think it shows a strength of character in your model, a confident, headstrong young woman.

Yes, but I would limit this description to possibly the eyes.
For me, the "baby face" low and plump cheeks are other
than confident and/or headstrong… very subjective thing!

Gulp. I kind of agree with Kodiak!!

If you look at the portrait just from the nose up, the expression doesn't quite fit. Don't get me wrong I like the image but I understand where Kodiak is coming from.

If you look at the portrait just from the nose up, the expression doesn't quite fit. Don't get me wrong I like the image but I understand where Kodiak is coming from.

I think that's what makes it interesting.. a girl on the cusp of becoming a young woman. But then I don't have a teenage daughter :)

I get it too and I'm glad to have sparked a little debate between us. Just proves the point, that there can be a real fine line regarding expression that can either make or break an image. It's very marginal so I'm happy enough with it and she loves it.

I am a little happier of late with my overall output, in general, I think my workflow has improved and there's a little more consistency, BUT, still plenty of room for improvement! I do fancy spending some time trying to get to grips with D&B, not that I really have the time or patience to use it often if I could. The last few xmas' I have decided to give it a go and failed miserably. The problem is being able to see what's needed before wading in.

I get it too and I'm glad to have sparked a little debate between us. Just proves the point, that there can be a real fine line regarding expression that can either make or break an image. It's very marginal so I'm happy enough with it and she loves it.

I am a little happier of late with my overall output, in general, I think my workflow has improved and there's a little more consistency, BUT, still plenty of room for improvement! I do fancy spending some time trying to get to grips with D&B, not that I really have the time or patience to use it often if I could. The last few xmas' I have decided to give it a go and failed miserably. The problem is being able to see what's needed before wading in.

I'd be surprised if a 13 year old - without acne - needed any serious skin retouching.

I'd be surprised if a 13 year old - without acne - needed any serious skin retouching.

Oh I agree, she doesn't need that extremity and so my comment was out of context here. Speaking a little out loud as it were about where I could progress from here.

She did have a few pimples that needed cleaning up [emoji6]

Last edited:
I'm envious of you being able to get shots.

My 13 year old hates having her photo taken and literally will not let me practise portraits on her. Yet fills up her Instagram and Snapchat accounts with selfies!

Go figure :)

Btw, I really like the slight loss of the top of the head in your crop, works really well (y)

I'm envious of you being able to get shots.

My 13 year old hates having her photo taken and literally will not let me practise portraits on her. Yet fills up her Instagram and Snapchat accounts with selfies!

Go figure :)

Btw, I really like the slight loss of the top of the head in your crop, works really well (y)

Thanks. Not that I condone bribery, but I'm sure there could be a deal struck in exchange for a little "practice" for dad [emoji6]

My niece's are exactly the same. I have them in my sights but I need to work out a "soother" first.

Back