B&W One of many Piers

Edit My Images
No

Headed out to one of the local piers on Sunday evening to see if I could catch some sunset colours. I've been trying to get a good shot from this location for a while, but the colour in the sky and the high tides have always alluded me. Not to be defeated on this evening I decided to go for a B&W long exposure and if there turned out to be any colour then I could quickly change my camera settings and I'd hopefully have both shots.​

Surprise, surprise, there wasn't any colour, but I'm quite happy with this moody B&W, will keep on trying for a good colour shot.

Nikon D800, ISO100, 90mm, f8, 150secs.

"One of Many Piers"

"One of Many (Square)"
32820006136_1a3e9dba1f_c.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Last edited:
What a location, what a shot!

Well done. If it were mine I may consider cropping some of the width off actually on both sides, lose those dark messy bits on the right of the pier and really take the eye into just the curve and the lighthouse...

Nice one Simon, like the mono look. Have they finished all the building work at the beginning of the pier? I popped along on the way to Scotland and couldn't get what I wanted so had to get up to the road which didn't look very good.

lovely mono and a popular location amongst the LE community and one I'd love to shoot! Like it how it is but I'd be tempted to crop to 16:9 think it would also make a really cool square as another option.

I love this and if my opinion means anything, don't crop it

Noob question; I checked the settings in Flickr but what I don't know is: how dark was it to get this? I mean, was it properly after sunset? Like pitch dark? (Sorry I don't have the vocab to ask the question properly)

My next project: get something like this

What a location, what a shot!

Well done. If it were mine I may consider cropping some of the width off actually on both sides, lose those dark messy bits on the right of the pier and really take the eye into just the curve and the lighthouse...

Cheers, I'm going to look into a few other different crops. :)

Nice one Simon, like the mono look. Have they finished all the building work at the beginning of the pier? I popped along on the way to Scotland and couldn't get what I wanted so had to get up to the road which didn't look very good.

There haven't finished all the building work after the storms, but I don't think it'll be long now! :) You can just spot the 'bit's on the very right hands side of the photo.

I love this and if my opinion means anything, don't crop it

Noob question; I checked the settings in Flickr but what I don't know is: how dark was it to get this? I mean, was it properly after sunset? Like pitch dark? (Sorry I don't have the vocab to ask the question properly)

My next project: get something like this

No silly questions! And I'll try not to give you a silly answer! :)

This was about 16:30ish so right on sunset, there was still plenty of light, but given the location the sun can get cut off a little early due to the buildings. This was shot with a 10stop ND and a 3stop soft grad to hold back the sky.

Cheers

Thank you all for the great comments, I think I'm onto a winner! :)

I'll try some different crops and if theres anything I like I'll add them to the thread.

Cheers

Simon

Like this a lot. I initially was bothered by the pier being so central, I might crop from the right to move it slightly off. But the fact the curve goes over to the left balances it nicely for me.

A cracking minimalist long exposure, nicely done!

No silly questions! And I'll try not to give you a silly answer! :)

This was about 16:30ish so right on sunset, there was still plenty of light, but given the location the sun can get cut off a little early due to the buildings. This was shot with a 10stop ND and a 3stop soft grad to hold back the sky.

Cheers
Thank you

Filters...

... Something else to learn about

That's beautiful. Gorgeous tones.
Don't do anything. other than explore some cropping options...

Back