One-off strange shape mount cutting

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I have a weird requirement. I need to cut a piece of stiff material into an odd shape. It needs to be around 1 mm thick; I think mount board might do the job (sample in local framing shop looks a bit between 1 and 2 mm). The shape I want is basically a rectangle, but with a notch cut out of one edge, and two 4x5 inch cutouts. This might give a clue to the purpose; I'm trying to build a negative holder to scan 4x5 negatives on an Epsone V500. So I thought I'd have a try cutting the shape out of the mount board, after drawing the shape on the board, and using a Stanley knife or a box cutter. What I can't work out is what to put underneath to provide a firm surface that won't blunt the knife or destroy that surface (eg a table)

Any advice? It occurs to me that more of my assumptions may be wrong! Thanks

Cutting mat. Google it. It's green. Lots of places to get one from.

I use it for my mounting duties and 1:72 modelling! I'd recommend A2 sized, but if it's a small job, A3 will do.

Last edited:
Cutting mat. Google it. It's green. Lots of places to get one from.

I use it for my mounting duties and 1:72 modelling! I'd recommend A2 sized, but if it's a small job, A3 will do.
IMO you will need what's called a cutting mat.

Various sources:-
https://www.google.com/search?q=cut...roid-motorola&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Edit ~ I really should refresh page before posting :LOL:

Thanks both. Quite a range of prices, but looks like Hobbycraft have an A3 one for a fiver!

How about another layer or two of mount board.

Not a bad idea, but would cost about the same (at local framing shop prices), and not so re-usable...

I usually do things like that on the kitchen chopping board, we have a large wooden one and brownie points can be earned for cleaning/sanding it :)

If it is only a one-off then the kitchen chopping boards will do or scrap bit of wood or whatever else is lying around.

I too would recommend a cutting mat, made for the job and relatively inexpensive I have found in the past that it can be difficult to cut a straight line when using a bit of wood as the blade can follow the grain.

Thanks both. Quite a range of prices, but looks like Hobbycraft have an A3 one for a fiver!

Watch it in hobbycraft, they have cheap ones in the art department or others for around twice the price in the sewing department...with no difference I can discern.

Cutting mat and offcut of mount board is what I use to cut on.
Metal straight edge and Stanley knife should do fine, get decent blades and change them regularly, soon blunt.

Cutting mat is far better than most wood. Grain in wood boards has a habit of acting like rails, so can result in wobbly "straight" edges.

Chris, don't forget to colour the cut edge - matt model paint does the job very well (did the same thing to make a 6x6 slide carrier for my flatbed scanner a few years back.)

Cutting mat is far better than most wood. Grain in wood boards has a habit of acting like rails, so can result in wobbly "straight" edges.

Chris, don't forget to colour the cut edge - matt model paint does the job very well (did the same thing to make a 6x6 slide carrier for my flatbed scanner a few years back.)

Not sure why to colour the cut edge, Nod? Is this to avoid it being an artefact in the scan?

There's the potential for extraneous light to end up where you don't want it. Might not be a major problem but could be. More likely (or less unlikely!) with negs than mounted slides.

Back