One Step Beyond

nice pic of a prostitute ? up a back alley
or is it a selfie ?

The one thing that stands out for me with your images is that they make me think,why? what? are you seeing when you squeeze that shutter button, excellence.

Are you embarrassed by your images?
Why post and then delete?

It's been mentioned before by staff, and by a number of members who've complained of disappearing content.

This is a photography forum NOT SNAPCHAT. Please do not post images, only to delete them in the next couple of days, or weeks, or indeed months...

If you're image is strong enough in your opinion to post on here, have the faith in your convictions to leave it up. If people complain, they can complain to managment and we'll take appropriate action. If you think somethings likely contentious, or that you may "need to protect the person in the image" then simply don't post it here - post it on your own personal website/blog or whatever you wish, but please don't post stuff that's just going to go like the cheshire cat in a couple of hours.

I think the reason I find this "disappearing content" annoying on a personal level, not just with my "forum management" hat on, is that your images are actually thought provoking, and do strive to tell stories. This thread, had it not been butchered by you removing your work, could well have served as a real exercise in photo-journalism - and would likely be a thread I'd have held up as being a shining example of what this forum is capable of. As it is, you've deleted more posts than you've left remaining in here (19 posts at last count). That's a terrible shame, and not something we encourage in any way.

In short, Have the faith and the courage to leave your work on here.

Just to add to that, your images are some of the strongest pictures of people on the forum. They are certainly controversial at times with themes of sexuality and misandry running through, but never the less they are very powerful. This is one of those occasions where the old saw of 'better to have loved and lost than never loved at all' does not apply.

So yes, please stop deleting your images.

Excellent images,it would be nice to see what camera & settings used.:)

Excellent images,it would be nice to see what camera & settings used.:)

...and here we have what is wrong with this forum, encapsulated in a single sentence. What earthly difference would that knowledge make - what the hell does it matter... the camera is academic, the settings are "the appropriate ones", what matters is the thought processes behind the taking of the picture, not the mechanical trivialities. So many people on this forum are obsessed with the hardware - that somehow the possession of a certain kind of camera, or lens will immediately make them Henri Cartier-Bresson, Ansell Adams, Edward Weston, Bob Carlos Clarke or Mapplethorpe.... A thread finally strives to step outside the "Camera Club" mentality of it all being about the hardware and the craft, and tries to actually make people think - and what does it prompt you to ask ? What Bloody Hardware did you use. Congratulations, you win the prize for the most ridiculously out of place question i've seen on here outside of OOF for the last month.

@pukkagen - please ignore the philistines, and keep posting - and - as a number of more enlightened people have mentioned - stop deleting your work - let it stand in here to show photography isn't all about birds on sticks and landscapes shot in someone else's tripod holes...

A thread finally strives to step outside the "Camera Club" mentality of it all being about the hardware and the craft, and tries to actually make people think - and what does it prompt you to ask ?

Very insulting and out of step with any camera club I have been a member; and I am a member of one of the largest. We are interested in the final images. The images shown on this thread would do well in camera club, national and international competitions.

Dave

Very insulting and out of step with any camera club I have been a member; and I am a member of one of the largest. We are interested in the final images. The images shown on this thread would do well in camera club, national and international competitions.

Dave

I'm very happy for you Dave, though I can actually agree with Mick's comments to a larger extent about camera clubs. Perhaps that's where I went wrong, in that the three I tried all called themselves camera clubs rather than photographic societies or such-like. But, I tried a few in my area maybe 8 years ago, went there as a newb with a portfolio of images in case anyone was interested in what I was working at, and where I was in my progression. First place, nobody even spoke to me, sat down, paid my admission fee, tried the awful coffee, watched a slide show of someone's trip to Skye and all they said about each picture was what lens and camera they'd used, and which filters etc... After the lecture, went to the guy who'd been doing the show to thank him for his work and started to ask about the locations and got "oh, I don't know anything about that, I went with someone who goes there regularly and just setup my camera next to his..." I left. Second one, walked in, someone walked up to me and greeted me, again took my money, and gave me a quick march-around the assembled uniformly white middle aged male throng. Every single one basically asked me as a first question "so, what camera system do you use"... Nobody asked me what subjects I shot... Coffee was awful as well - left before the lecture on "use of photoshop". Third, and I was getting desperate by now, maybe 15 miles away from home, walked in, no coffee, one guy actually asked me what I shot, so I opened my folio and he said... "no, I meant Nikon or Canon....". I zipped up the folio and left. Instead I signed up for an art appreciation class at the local college, and learned more about composition, lighting, and the actual ART of making a picture, which I then applied my already existing technical abilities with the camera. It was an altogether more edifying experience.

As always, remember your experience may not coincide with everyone elses.

and I think we've both derailed this thread enough as it is...

...and here we have what is wrong with this forum, encapsulated in a single sentence. What earthly difference would that knowledge make - what the hell does it matter... the camera is academic, the settings are "the appropriate ones", what matters is the thought processes behind the taking of the picture, not the mechanical trivialities. So many people on this forum are obsessed with the hardware - that somehow the possession of a certain kind of camera, or lens will immediately make them Henri Cartier-Bresson, Ansell Adams, Edward Weston, Bob Carlos Clarke or Mapplethorpe.... A thread finally strives to step outside the "Camera Club" mentality of it all being about the hardware and the craft, and tries to actually make people think - and what does it prompt you to ask ? What Bloody Hardware did you use. Congratulations, you win the prize for the most ridiculously out of place question i've seen on here outside of OOF for the last month.

@pukkagen - please ignore the philistines, and keep posting - and - as a number of more enlightened people have mentioned - stop deleting your work - let it stand in here to show photography isn't all about birds on sticks and landscapes shot in someone else's tripod holes...
GET A LIFE,who do you think you are,you know nothing about me,i don,t use camera clubs for a start

Last edited:
GET A LIFE,who do you think you are,you know nothing about me,i don,t use camera clubs for a start

he has a point though - after all, I seriously don't understand what the technical details might bring to an appreciation of the artistic merits of the photographs... I'll be honest I despair when people look at imagery like this and the only thing that goes through their mind is "what settings/hardware do I need to make my shots look like that" For goodness sakes, the most important bit of photographic equipment you have is your eye and the 3lb's or so of wetware behind it...

I was asking just out of interest,but i won,t ask anything again.

Why do we do this?

The question was perfectly reasonable - very few of the most striking shots here could have been made with an 18-55 on crop, and a notable characteristic in many of Pukkagen's images is the shallow depth of field and compression that comes from a telephoto with a big hole down the middle. The right kit at the right time is pretty much essential, as much as for birding - certainly you need to be able to USE it too, but that's something that has to be developed, and jumping all over somebody asking questions isn't going to help anything.

There's no need to harangue and abuse someone for asking.

Last edited:
5D - 35mm (^▽^)

I was going back through threads you've previously posted where your most striking work was shot with a telephoto at large aperture. It seems you have deleted almost all your previously posted images. :rolleyes:

Your close-in stuff is good, but it could have been shot by a number of forumites (Garry Knight, Dan Cook to name a couple) but your other work is more powerful.

Back