Only just! Black 5, 45212

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
So, time allowed for us to get to Lichfield station to see her. Last check was 20 minutes early, I had one camera with a 17-55 attached on a tripod, just incase my 50-200 wasn't wide enough. My mum states there it is! At that time, what should happen, a bloody pendolino goes bombing past screwing up the shot I wanted with my 50-200. So I frantically press on the shutter button of the tripod mounted camera!

Light was terrible, too harsh for my liking causing noise issues on the shadow recovery, overall colour seemed affected too..

So as it's my sons birthday, I need at least a record shot for him to remember the day by, otherwise I proabably would have deleted!

Firstly, that frustrating moment

45212 #2 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

And the just managed it shots...

45212 nr done by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

45212 #1 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

The light running off 81C back up north.
It's always a risk going for the shots across multiple lines, but often more rewarding when it works.
Not sure if I prefer the wider or tighter edit, perhaps the tighter one as the wires tend to pull you more to the present than an era when photography would have been mainly b&w, though I do like the wider edit with the steam back to the bridge (which doesn't stand out as modern in the b&w).

Well done,Michael..ie. getting there on your son's birthday.

Fortunately, I haven't yet experienced another train blocking my view but I'm sure it will happen one day, law of averages.

It's always a risk going for the shots across multiple lines, but often more rewarding when it works.
Not sure if I prefer the wider or tighter edit, perhaps the tighter one as the wires tend to pull you more to the present than an era when photography would have been mainly b&w, though I do like the wider edit with the steam back to the bridge (which doesn't stand out as modern in the b&w).

Tim..I looked closely in light of what you've said and I agree, the tighter image is more appealing for me, too. There's just too many overheads along with the support structures in the wider shot shot . It's a shame, too as those tracks enhance the overall image. I'm pleased we're still overheads- free but electrification will eventually come. Austery put a temporary stop to the conctruction but for how long, I don't know.

Well done,Michael..ie. getting there on your son's birthday.

Fortunately, I haven't yet experienced another train blocking my view but I'm sure it will happen one day, law of averages.

Tim..I looked closely in light of what you've said and I agree, the tighter image is more appealing for me, too. There's just too many overheads along with the support structures in the wider shot shot . It's a shame, too as those tracks enhance the overall image. I'm pleased we're still overheads- free but electrification will eventually come. Austery put a temporary stop to the conctruction but for how long, I don't know.

Thanks Tim and John, looking back at it now I do also prefer the tighter crop, it works better in this instance. If I was further down I would have all sorts of metal work in the way, so this is the best spot for Lichfield. It's not a first choice, I could have gone further up by about 20 minutes, but would have been faced with a very small station car park, still over heads but a more pleasing look. But my mum was drving this time and doesn't lnow the area much, so stuck with the easiest to get to!

Thanks Tim and John, looking back at it now I do also prefer the tighter crop, it works better in this instance. If I was further down I would have all sorts of metal work in the way, so this is the best spot for Lichfield. It's not a first choice, I could have gone further up by about 20 minutes, but would have been faced with a very small station car park, still over heads but a more pleasing look. But my mum was drving this time and doesn't lnow the area much, so stuck with the easiest to get to!

Looks like you did the best with what your options were,Michael.

Back