Ontbijtje

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Stuck in the House, Bored again,so raided the Fruitbowl for todays Arrangement...

Ontbijtjes 1
by The Big Yin, on Flickr

For those of you wondering about the title... Ontbijt is Dutch for Breakfast - so the image is a "breakfast study" - we'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the contents of the glass to be apple juice I reckon :LOL:

Last edited:
Excellently lit and arranged. These shots do very much have the feel of an old master painting.

Andy

Cheers Andy, that's certainly the "look and feel" i'm shooting for...

Liking this Mark. I think I saw one of your previous images. This is an improvement to my eyes :)

Gaz

Is that your improvised window I see on the jug? :p

Can you run through some of the subjects, like why the shells are there, and the melted candle?

Liking this Mark. I think I saw one of your previous images. This is an improvement to my eyes :)

Gaz

if you mean this one, I'm in agreement with you... the last one really was just a lash-up to see how the shape of the new softbox would cast, and if the melted out candle showed correctly...

Rembrandt didn't show up for the photo-shoot this time though :(

Is that your improvised window I see on the jug? :p

Can you run through some of the subjects, like why the shells are there, and the melted candle?

yep - it's the new, improved softbox and Gobo combination...

Couple of blurred and dodgy "behind the scenes" setup shots

IMG_4325.jpg

IMG_4317.jpg

I'll get the matt-black emulsion out for the Gobo before next time I use it, just for good measure - and probably secure it with gaffa rather than the pegs, just in case they show in the reflections...

As to the subjects...

Well - while its technically a simple Breakfast Piece, I couldn't resist throwing in a couple of the "Vanitas" type of symbols...

While the Fruit is basically all about Fertility and Abundance , the fall of man is often denoted by pears, grapes and of course Apple. Erotic undertones are are also denoted by the plums, and apple.

Sea shells, or occasionally a living snail, are the remains of once-living animal, and hence signify death and frailty. Also, exotic shells denote Travel and the Wealth required to do so in this era - no RyanAir in the 17th Century...

The Globe, again denoting Travel and it's implied wealth and

Books: Human knowledge and its temporary nature.

Candles: often used to portray the human soul, so if the candle is extinguished, or burned low, the person would be considered either to be old, or at the latter end of their existance - a clear indication of "momento mori"

That's pretty well executed. Like what has been said in here, it does have that "classic oil painting" look about it.

I'm having a glass or two of white while i contemplate it

Can't remember the last time one of my shots drove anyone to drink...

Hope it tastes better than the stuff in the shot btw... It was cider vinegar!

Love to see the set ups. These are great. Plus the explanation of the objects is fab, very interesting, never knew any of that :)

Gaz

Can't remember the last time one of my shots drove anyone to drink...

Hope it tastes better than the stuff in the shot btw... It was cider vinegar!

I was in Brittany last week - they drink cider in cups there, in fact they have a cider "kir" - very strange, I stuck to the beer and BDX white

Good restaurant though

Love to see the set ups. These are great. Plus the explanation of the objects is fab, very interesting, never knew any of that :)

Gaz

The more I can share, the bigger chance people will see how easy it can be, and maybe others will try some other style of still life... Might make a change from water drops or spinning wire wool...

reminds me of Dick Turpin

or I could say "get a dog"

or there are plenty of Robins in the back garden

Last edited:
or I could say "get a dog"

or there are plenty of Robins in the back garden

Neither subject interest me in the slightest Bill, but it wouldn't be half as rich and interesting world if we all liked the same thing...

Never tried one... Doubt there's much meat on them - sort of a Christmas version of the Ortolan...

Last edited:
I do like this one. Great use of the softbox! Not seen that done before. Nice layout and I like the effect.

Back