Open university?

I haven't done it personally (having gone the "traditional" route MANY moons ago), but I know several people who have, or are still doing.
All I can say is I've never heard bad things about the experience from any of them :)
Good luck!

I did it many years ago, got my degree in 1989 ( I stretched it out and did 16 courses ) and later I did an MBA with the OU business school. The course material and the support was excellent, nowadays I believe that much of the support etc. is via the Internet and I don't know how that works or how good it is.
Recently I have been doing some free courses with Future Learn which was set up by the OU and is a platform for OU courses and courses from other universities, again excellent presentation.
I have not done distance learning with anyone else but they would have to be fantastic to be better than the OU.

You get out of the OU what you put in. OU courses are hard work and require dedication and effort (just like any other Uni course I suppose) except that you need to juggle home life, work etc to fit the coursework in. I did some credits many years ago but had to give it up when I started my business. I've been back and done a couple more in recent years and enjoyed myself doing it.

I am currently studying with the OU and I find them an excellent university. The course I am doing has very little online tutorial content as there are regular turorials and study groups usually on a weekend and at a local university, although they are not compulsary to attend. There is support via email and telephone for those who struggle to attend for whatever reason and all study notes are usually released online for everyone to view. My degree BSC (honours) Psychology has British Psychological Society accreditation essential if you want to be a Psychologist and is pretty typical of the quality of OU degree courses.

I went the "traditional" route in the 1960s and did an OU degree in an unrelated subject in the 1980s. I recommend the OU heartily -- go for it!

What are you thinking of studying? There's a few of us studying arts degrees through the open college of the arts (Oca)

I did a degree with them. It was purely for the pleasure of learning. A high quality qualification I loved doing as well and the support was great

I've been thinking about the OU for a long time, although they seem to have got expensive in the last few years. Just to study something I'm interested in, I already have a degree from a conventional university which is relevant to my work.

My main problem is time, I can barely manage a handful of hours to do homework / study for my evening Italian class, where I'd find the 15 or so hours needed for a degree course I don't know.

I've been thinking about the OU for a long time, although they seem to have got expensive in the last few years. Just to study something I'm interested in, I already have a degree from a conventional university which is relevant to my work.

My main problem is time, I can barely manage a handful of hours to do homework / study for my evening Italian class, where I'd find the 15 or so hours needed for a degree course I don't know.
They are expensive £5400 a year to study full time 120 credits, although most students do part time 60 credits £2700. You can of course fund it with a loan from Student Finance (y)

I did a degree with the OU finishing in 2000 and am currently undertaking another. The differences between then and now are quite great. The online planner, study materials, links, support materials and assignment submission really make it easier. Fortunately both times, I've got sponsorship from my employer, so the costs haven't affected me. I would recommend it to anyone wishing to study part time.

Back