Critique Opinions on this Robin?

Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
I know people get bored of seeing Robin photos but I was just out and about practicing with my Nikon D3200 and managed to capture it eating a worm. I still haven't mastered the correct settings etc and would appreciate criticism.

Image looks sharp enough Matthew and exposure looks good.Perhaps a tighter crop as it looks like it could withstand it.@BRASH is our resident Robin expert,he may be able to advise further (y)

I tried a tighter crop, hopefully it still looks ok

I'd crop more like this, but it does show up the defects more, maybe oversharpening?

The next recommendation will probably be to have the subject a little less central :) Sometimes it looks good but more often than not, the subject looks better elsewhere in the frame. Framed like this doesn't seem too bad but it might look better if it was further to the left?

I like Robins too :) Nosy little fellas hehe

I sort of placed him just past the 1st thirds intersection and agree he looks too central. Bringing the contrast back a little will help too.

I still have the original so I might crop it so he is positioned further to the left of the photo and maybe try not to over edit the photo, I did try to make it a bit more sharper but think I maybe over did it

Image looks sharp enough Matthew and exposure looks good.Perhaps a tighter crop as it looks like it could withstand it.@BRASH is our resident Robin expert,he may be able to advise further (y)

Robin = Crap. End ofo_O

Robin = Crap. End ofo_O

The bird in general or just my photo of it? If it's the photo got any constructive criticism?

The bird in general or just my photo of it? If it's the photo got any constructive criticism?
Both in Brash`s world. Don`t lose sleep about it.

CC is pretty pointless in here.

Oh I see o_Oo_O

Robin = Crap. End ofo_O

Assume you are a friend of the original poster. If so you should add a smiley.

Otherwise constructive criticism is required.

Robins are very photogenic, and I love to see them all.

Great photo, Matthew, very sharp, only vague observation are the tree branches are slightly distracting.(original shot)

However the subject is good and quality of that subject is hard to beat.

My 2p worth......

Just wish I could have got that shot..

Mj

Last edited:
Thanks Mark I will take that on board, appreciate your comments!

1)Assume you are a friend of the original poster.

2) If so you should add a smiley.

3)Otherwise constructive criticism is required.

Mj

1) no

2) I thought that wee yellow thing at the end was one of them

3) you've already said it's great so no more to be added really.

:olympus::olympus:Sorry, thought you meant end of smiley!!

Is the word "crap" appropriate here?

Why so abrupt?
That is how he is.

He takes damned fine photographs and does not praise mediocre images. Some are crap, some of us say so, some say crap shots are good. Such is TP.

Ok I'll spell it out, tho I thought it may have bee obvious from Aid and Rich's posts.

It's a standing joke on here that I don't like Robins pictures of Robins, Xmas cards with Robins (or mallards or mute swans). The 'crap' comment was generic which is pretty clear from what I wrote and not aimed at these specific shots.

Why so abrupt? Look at my name. End ofo_O or should that be:)

Last edited:
Let's all be friends, I appreciate everyones comments and I know some people don't like photos of Robins, I'm new to all of this and was happy with the photo but I know there can always be improvements which is why I use the forum, to get opinions from people who have been doing this a lot longer than me!

Thanks again for the comments and I will try to get more shots in the future and hopefully will improve ;)

Let's all be friends, I appreciate everyones comments and I know some people don't like photos of Robins, I'm new to all of this and was happy with the photo but I know there can always be improvements which is why I use the forum, to get opinions from people who have been doing this a lot longer than me!

Thanks again for the comments and I will try to get more shots in the future and hopefully will improve ;)
Good on you matthew, ignore the gratuitous " noice pics" comments and take note of the CC, you will improve no end if you do that.

Good on you matthew, ignore the gratuitous " noice pics" comments and take note of the CC, you will improve no end if you do that.
Correct..............and apply to non Robin shots:D

Correct..............and apply to non Robin shots:D

Just get annoyed when criticism includes inappropriate language. Smileys or not.

We are all here to appreciate other phogs work, and expect constructive words, not gutter language.(Smileys or not again)

if you feel the photo subject is overdone, then lay off and don't ruin someones real achievement. It is an achievement whether its a robin, chaffinch, nude woman or a shot of the Taj Mahal.

Let the rest of us achieve in our own time BRASH. I have to say I have not seen your work, but would respect it if it was not up to my personal standards.

Just get real.............................

Just get annoyed when criticism includes inappropriate language. Smileys or not.

We are all here to appreciate other phogs work, and expect constructive words, not gutter language.(Smileys or not again)

if you feel the photo subject is overdone, then lay off and don't ruin someones real achievement. It is an achievement whether its a robin, chaffinch, nude woman or a shot of the Taj Mahal.

Let the rest of us achieve in our own time BRASH. I have to say I have not seen your work, but would respect it if it was not up to my personal standards.

Just get real.............................

Not been here long, have you? :whistle:

Best you use the ignore function if you can't deal with @BRASH posting style! :)

No not been here too long.

But does that excuse bad post's

Not that I can't deal with it, just trying to get reasonable posts from people.

Why should they ruin or try to belittle best efforts by others.

Just because they/you have been here for thousands of years, is no excuse for miserable/ ignorant posts. Get a life...........

Mj

Why should they ruin or try to belittle best efforts by others.

Just because they/you have been here for thousands of years, is no excuse for miserable/ ignorant posts. Get a life...........

Mj

I have a perfectly good life thank you. :)

If I put something in the critique forum I would rather have critique from the likes of Brash and others who tell the truth (mostly in detail!) which is far more help than lots of "nice shot" comments. They do not ruin or belittle peoples efforts or make miserable/ignorant posts, this is just how you perceive them.

The length of time that I (or they) have been around is not relevant, whereas if you had actually bothered to look further than the few posts that have rattled your cage, you would see how much contribution to the forum is in the form of banter with some posters (Brash amongst them.) If you consider that they are out of order then please use the report button at the bottom of the offending post, and a Moderater will take a look.

and a Moderater will take a look.

...which they have done and decided the the biggest problem is the continued debate on the subject, which will now stop right here and the conversation will return to the subject of the photo, as is only fair to Matthew. In future if you don't like the way someone has posted, use the Report button, rather than starting a discussion about it, because it really isn't fair on anyone else in the thread and especially the OP.

Thankyou

...which they have done and decided the the biggest problem is the continued debate on the subject, which will now stop right here and the conversation will return to the subject of the photo, as is only fair to Matthew. In future if you don't like the way someone has posted, use the Report button, rather than starting a discussion about it, because it really isn't fair on anyone else in the thread and especially the OP.

Thankyou

Is there anyway you can delete the thread? It makes the forum look childish really, was only asking for some CC lol

Is there anyway you can delete the thread? It makes the forum look childish really, was only asking for some CC lol

Don't worry about it Matthew, it's just what happens sometimes! :)

I still have the original so I might crop it so he is positioned further to the left of the photo and maybe try not to over edit the photo, I did try to make it a bit more sharper but think I maybe over did it

Have you had another try with this yet? I think that getting rid of the space to the left of the tree worked well (as new2me did) but with a little less processing.

I like the way you have caught him with the worm, it makes it that bit different to the average Robin shots. (y)

I tried with this, I think generally I would need to take a better photo as cropping it to position the Robin further to the left isn't working too well lol

It is what it is technically but improvements can be made in post

It is quite important to make the subject prominent .............i'd try to work on the composition, Matt

usually it is good to get rid of any background clutter, unless it adds real interest ..................Maybe something like the following .... just a very quick edit

Robin_Matt.jpg

It is what it is technically but improvements can be made in post

It is quite important to make the subject prominent .............i'd try to work on the composition, Matt

usually it is good to get rid of any background clutter, unless it adds real interest ..................Maybe something like the following .... just a very quick edit

Robin_Matt.jpg

I like that, did you use a brush to remove the annoying branch?

I like that, did you use a brush to remove the annoying branch?

Matt, I used the tools in photoshop ...... the more time you put in with the app ....... the more you "see the light" ......... it is not easy when you first come to use it ........ LR is very good ......... but not at all good in some areas

I (now) look at (my) images in two simple ways ........ Technically and ....... their Composition

Obviously you should try to do as much to get these correct when you take the shot, but depending on the time of year and lighting conditions is can be (very) difficult

Good luck ......... there is usually "something" in most of the images that most of us take and it is possible to get to a reasonable standard quickly if you think about it as you go along - it's not "rocket science" in any way ........ and there are lots of example on here to look at and "learn" from and when you appreciate how simple PP works it is a great aid

Last edited:
Back