Opportunity revisted - beginner

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
I didn't really start my photographic journey until after a trip to Burma in 2013. Our guide, an excellent photographer to boot, passed a comment that put me on the path to ..."I'll show him!". Asking what he thought of my images ... not that much really. If truth be told, my photographic skills were limited and I possessed a compact camera that more or less stayed on P. With so much time to look at images past at the moment, I reflected on one particular shot. The light was amazing but my attempt at some sort of composition fell way short of what might have been. If only I could wind back the clock and have the opportunity to come away with a far better photograph.

184222385_763344897712587_4987157680231159173_n.jpg

That is excellent, really moody and thoughtful.

I’m at a similar stage to your beginner self having just started albeit I may be less talented looking at your photo here. It is always great when you are able to look back and see how far you have come. I also think we are very lucky to have a community like this one to be a part of. I feel like I’m constantly hassling and hoping for feedback on my not so good photos in all honesty.

It kind of stings to be told your photo is not that great but without hearing it from experienced forum members I will not know how to improve.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

I’m at a similar stage to your beginner self having just started albeit I may be less talented looking at your photo here. It is always great when you are able to look back and see how far you have come. I also think we are very lucky to have a community like this one to be a part of. I feel like I’m constantly hassling and hoping for feedback on my not so good photos in all honesty.

It kind of stings to be told your photo is not that great but without hearing it from experienced forum members I will not know how to improve.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Looking at the image on a phone, it doesn't look too bad. On my monitor, I can see lots of flaws. Pick up on the positive element/s of a photograph and store the knowledge for another outing.

Can you please share what you think can be done better with this shot of yours?

I don't think that is a bad shot at all. I would have been happy to take it.

Interesting point Stephen. I tell all my students when they finish my courses never to forget those beginner images. When they knew nothing about camera controls, all they had was composition, a subject and hope! It's so easy to get caught up in the gear and the process and forget why one is taking photographs in the first place.

Perhaps you could have done better with 8 years experience, but the fact is, that this is far from being a poor image. And as always, when seeking advice on how to improve one's images. it's always really useful to (as @Mauri3205 says above) detail why you think your shot is lacking, and what you were trying to achieve.

Sorry, I've been watching an Italian detective series on 4. I'll answer in full tomorrow.

Right, dog walked for a couple of hours and time to explain my thoughts.
For quite a number of years, I was the one who wished his partner would hurry up and take the blooming photo so that we could continue our walk. The year after I retired, I needed to fill the void with a hobby. A trip to Burma with our compact camera, trying my best to be creative. The trouble was, the multitude of dials and settings that were available was way too much for me to cope with. It was left on P for most of the trip.
Looking at the image on the phone, it doesn't look too bad.
Anything above that and the flaws begin to show. I would have preferred the shutter speed to have been a little bit higher, due to the movement of the monks from time to time.
A wide open aperture may have given more focus to the monk in the foreground.
I was unaware about focussing on the eyes, though the camera wasn't set up in any way to do this.
I would have thought a little bit more about the composition and the direction of the light.
The list goes on.
Another shot that could have been improved.

184338975_763638341016576_5249773772686228896_n.jpg

This image is one of my favourites. Lots of experience snapping our dog and how to frame her. Skill level much higher and an eye for what works as a composition.

182702338_761713781209032_2016533703747085761_n.jpg

Very insightful. Thank you.

Staying close to home this morning - flowers in our garden.
Thought about the background behind the main flower.
Wide aperture to blur the colours.
Where to position the flower to create interest?
Can I focus exactly where I want to?
Nikon D700 Nikon 35mm D f2

184765902_763697837677293_1944448755415808264_n.jpg

Back