Orange flies, signal flies... flies!

Edit My Images
Yes
Great photos!

Thanks Nick, I find my m43's olympus much better at Macros than my Sony A77 - to the extent I'm thinking of getting rid of all the Sony gear

Given your preference for Micro Four Thirds for Macro use and the wonderful photos Nick has posted taken using bridge cameras plus Raynox lenses; is there an advantage in having a smaller sensor for Macro work?

Sorry if the question is rather off topic!

Great photos!

Given your preference for Micro Four Thirds for Macro use and the wonderful photos Nick has posted taken using bridge cameras plus Raynox lenses; is there an advantage in having a smaller sensor for Macro work?

I think (because the image is essentially cropped) you benefit from the illusion of a greater DOF at small apertures. But for me the smaller camera helps with framing the subject too. I'm also using a Raynox 250 for these.

I think (because the image is essentially cropped) you benefit from the illusion of a greater DOF at small apertures. But for me the smaller camera helps with framing the subject too. I'm also using a Raynox 250 for these.

Thanks; appreciate the reply.

Great photos!

In my experience there is no advantage in terms of DoF in using a smaller sensor. I get the same DoF with f/8 on my 1/2.3" bridge cameras as with f/22 on micro four thirds (and f/8 is the smallest aperture I can use on my bridge cameras just as f/22 is on my micro four thirds cameras). It is difficult to arrange real world comparisons that are precisely like for like, but there are some fairly close examples comparing a 1/2.3" Panasonic FZ200 with an APS-C Canon 70D in this post and the following one in my Journey thread. (This matches up with the theoretical calculations which show f/8 on 1/2.3" to be equivalent to f/22 on micro four thirds and around f/28 on Canon APS-C. For example see the Depth of Field Equivalents Calculator on this page at CambidgeInColour.)

Over the past decade I have used close-up lenses with 1/2.3", micro four thirds and APS-C cameras extensively at different periods and for invertebrates have found it difficult to distinguish between the results from the different camera formats. (That is because I pretty much always use minimum aperture for invertebrates. It is different if you use "normal" apertures, in which case the larger sensors seem to me to have an advantage, not in terms of DoF but in terms of image quality. That is why I use micro four thirds rather than 1/2.3" for flowers, buds, seed pods etc, as I generally don't use small apertures for those subjects. And it is why I am considering using full frame for these subjects.)

I don't want to take this thread any further off topic (my apologies if I have already done that). I'll post a separate thread about this. I have some examples that I'll post.

Last edited:
Back